Getting an Avic need some advice

cold blood

Staff member
I use the same tubs, but i dont stand them on end, theyve got enough height....hard to stack them like that...hehe

airikahh

Arachnopeon
add a water dish and double the vent and youre set.
Ya I have it on both sides I just took a pic of one of the sides to show it and the water bowl is there I added it after letting him in cause I was so nervous putting it in haha

I use the same tubs, but i dont stand them on end, theyve got enough height....hard to stack them like that...hehe
I only had this one stand on the end cause it was so small when it wasn't standing like that and the others I saw were way too big for them so I thought this would do for now haha

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
what would you suggest for a water bowl? I had thought about using a cap from like a gatorade bottle or something similar but thought they were too small??
Soap dishes that you can mount on the wall of the enclosure make great water dishes for Avics. (Just fill in any drain holes so that the water won't run out.) This Command soap dish from Walmart works well, because the mounting base sticks to the glass with adhesive strips, and you can lift the dish right off of the base to clean it.

If you give them enough anchor points, they'll eventually make their own retreat out of silk, but I used a cork round to create horizontal "tree house," because it makes for easy feeding when the tarantula is in the tree house. (In my first cage, I mounted half a cork round vertically along the glass, and it's not the best for feeding or cleaning.)

Skyler loves her tree house, although it took her a couple of months to really settle in and start webbing. :cool:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
You will have to replace that screen top for the bugarium. I have one, day one and the screen came off. These enclosures have the worst glue jobs for the screens.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Soap dishes that you can mount on the wall of the enclosure make great water dishes for Avics. (Just fill in any drain holes so that the water won't run out.) This Command soap dish works well, because the mounting base sticks to the glass with adhesive strips, and you can lift the dish right off of the base to clean it.

If you give them enough anchor points, they'll eventually make their own retreat out of silk, but I used a cork round to create horizontal "tree house," because it makes for easy feeding when the tarantula is in the tree house. (In my first cage, I mounted half a cork round vertically along the glass, and it's not the best for feeding or cleaning.)

Skyler loves her tree house, although it took her a couple of months to really settle in and start webbing. :cool:

I like that soapdish. Reminds me very much of water added to a silk canopy in terms of its geometry. Are you able to tell us how much volume that dish holds without spilling over? Never seen it before.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I like that soapdish. Reminds me very much of water added to a silk canopy in terms of its geometry. Are you able to tell us how much volume that dish holds without spilling over? Never seen it before.
When filled to the brim, the soap dish holds 4 fl oz (118 mL).

It works really well. She can drink by hanging top-down from the side, as shown in my previous post. Because of the gradual slope, the tarantula can also reach over to the dish or sit in it if she wants. (She is younger and smaller in the photo below.)