Getting an Aa

Cherri

Arachnopeon
I already have an LQ, so don't lecture me. I know the precautions. I just want to know basic care. There's a beautiful aa at my local reptile store and I want it for my collection. So basic care is all I need. I'm assuming it's similar to my LQ.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I already have an LQ, so don't lecture me. I know the precautions. I just want to know basic care. There's a beautiful aa at my local reptile store and I want it for my collection. So basic care is all I need. I'm assuming it's similar to my LQ.

Androctonus australis can be kept the same as the Deathstalker. In my experience, my A.as were far more photophobic than my L.qs if this is true in your experience too it can be remedied with a red bulb.

EDIT: However I kept them all in glass terrariums not milky plastic boxes. My invert room had a ceiling light, once I flicked it on the Androcs were gone like greased lightning and sometimes I could see them hover at the dark borders of their hides. But my Deathstalkers didn't seem to give a heck. lol

EDIT EDIT: I watched some youtube videos and many of their furnishings are sparse if they even bother with them. I provided mine with cork bark hides measuring 4-5" deep. The 4 A.as I had owned were the most photophobic scorpions I have ever owned. They did not tolerate light at all. Maybe I created the proper conditions or something.

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Just to give alittle more information, I provided my Androcs a partially buried cork bark logs. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, all 4 A.a and 3 A.b displayed photophobic behavior, the 1 A.c displayed minimal photophobic behavior. 5 L.q displayed little or no photophobic behavior, most often they would momentarily freeze but would resume creeping the length and back of the terrarium. Just thought I would put that out there that 7 of 8 Androcs had photophobic behavior including a captive bred juvenile A.a. The hobby didn't have the selection then that it has now. My .02 cents worth.