Georgia Finds!

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
Hey all,
I recently came back from spring break, and thought some of you guys might like to see some of the pictures I took. Several members of the entomology club I'm in went down to Georgia to check out UGA's graduate program and, of course, go bug hunting! While I'm glad to be back, I definitely miss the warm weather, as I was greeted back to NY with 25-30 degree weather and a snow storm this weekend! :rolleyes: Anyway, here are some of the things I saw/collected:
DSCN7261.JPG
A pretty green beetle that I found when we stopped for the night at the club president's house in Charlotte, North Carolina. These guys were everywhere after sunset. I believe it's a Calosoma scrutator.

DSCN7263.JPG
A little stream in Charlotte, NC.

DSCN7267.JPG
Anole at the campsite in Eatonton, Georgia.

DSCN7268.JPG
Mating Promethea moths. This was a really exciting find for me because I'm not used to seeing Saturniids until around May or June in DE.

DSCN7272.JPG
Not something I found in the wild, but a cool spiny leaf insect from the UGA arthropod zoo.

DSCN7276.JPG
A pretty big salamander I found under a rock. I think it was the biggest salamander I've seen, and the black spots on a red background were pretty.

DSCN7278.JPG
Some little mama Lycosid. She was small enough to fit on a nickle, if I recall correctly.

DSCN7279.JPG
DSCN7280.JPG
A couple of photos of steam rising off of Lake Sinclair in the early morning at the campsite.

DSCN7282.JPG
Another salamander!

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
DSCN7285.JPG
An old turtle shell of some sort. DSCN7286.JPG
Not the best picture, but this is the skull of what I think might be some sort of hawk?

DSCN7287.JPG Black swallowtail puddling from some sort of salt deposit.

DSCN7291.JPG
Cluster of tiny spiderlings. I'm not sure what species they were, but this sight made me smile.

DSCN7293.JPG
Rosy maple moth, found near one of the lights outside of the campsite bathrooms. We saw a total of maybe 6 of these guys over the week.

DSCN7296.JPG
Big ol' luna moth at the same bathroom light! We saw two of these guys during the trip.

DSCN7298.JPG
Same luna moth with a little friend in the foreground. For some reason, I found this sight rather amusing.

DSCN7299.JPG
The same scene from a different angle.

DSCN7303.JPG
Same luna with the wings spread.

DSCN7305.JPG
Reduviidae. This guy bit my boyfriend's finger and apparently the pain lasted for 2 or 3 days.

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
DSCN7309.JPG
Fluorescing scorpions! I believe the species is Vaejovis carolinianus based on coloring and locality. These guys were high up on my wish list for the trip, so I was pretty excited to find my first one, and I'd never seen a scorpion in the wild so it was quite the adventure! I collected 10 of these guys.

DSCN7311.JPG
Same group, sans UV flashlight.

DSCN7312.JPG
Another anole, except this one was found in the daytime.

DSCN7317.JPG
Mother Nature's way of making it up to us after needing to go to four different auto-repair shops to get the van's oil changed. :rolleyes:

Here are most of the things I actually decided to keep:
DSCN7319.JPG
Immature individual of some Dolomedes sp. I'm very interested in this genus so I tried to collect a handful of them in GA.

DSCN7320.JPG
DSCN7325.JPG
DSCN7326.JPG
Some more photos of the scorpions. This was only a temporary setup.

DSCN7328.JPG
DSCN7330.JPG
I believe this centipede is Hemiscolopendra marginata, but please correct me if I'm wrong! I collected three of these.

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
DSCN7332.JPG
Not a great photo, but this is a massive Phidippus audax my boyfriend found and gave to me. She's probably the biggest specimen I've seen of the species so far.

DSCN7333.JPG
Another massive critter! I guess I spent so much time trying to get acquainted with the local invertebrates that I didn't realize that there were millipedes this big in the U.S. Someone told me it's Narceus americanus, but I didn't think they got this big. Anyone have input?

DSCN7335.JPG
DSCN7336.JPG
Some more young Dolomedes.

DSCN7338.JPG

A relatively large Lycosid. I'm thinking she might be a Tigrosa species, but I haven't really looked much into identifying her yet.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome shots from what looks to have been a great trip! Agreed on your ID's of the millipede and scorps and I think the turtle shell might actually be from a tortoise.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Can you tell me what part of GA you found this in? I'm in the Atlanta/Marietta region, and I'm trying to find some scorps.

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
Awesome shots from what looks to have been a great trip! Agreed on your ID's of the millipede and scorps and I think the turtle shell might actually be from a tortoise.
Awesome! So you do think it's a Narceus americanus? And thanks for the input on the shell. I'm not familiar with all of the herps in Georgia; is the only tortoise there the gopher tortoise?

Can you tell me what part of GA you found this in? I'm in the Atlanta/Marietta region, and I'm trying to find some scorps.
The scorpions were found in Eatonton, at the Lake Sinclair Recreation Area, and at Oconee National Forest in Watkinsville. I only found one during the day in Oconee, but when I went out at night with a UV flashlight, I found a handful of others under rotting logs.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome! So you do think it's a Narceus americanus? And thanks for the input on the shell. I'm not familiar with all of the herps in Georgia; is the only tortoise there the gopher tortoise?
Looks like it to me! I think gopher tortoises are the only species you can find in Georgia, even though I think they're endangered.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Dolomedes look like D. albineus, the Tigrosa is T. georgicola I believe. Awesome finds!!

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
Looks like it to me! I think gopher tortoises are the only species you can find in Georgia, even though I think they're endangered.
Uh oh... So what should I do if I brought it home? :(

The Dolomedes look like D. albineus, the Tigrosa is T. georgicola I believe. Awesome finds!!
Thanks for the IDs! I thought the smaller Dolomedes looked like albineus, but I thought the larger one might be tenebrosus. Is there any better way of telling them apart beside color?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Uh oh... So what should I do if I brought it home? :(
I didn't see anything if you didn't ;) That's a pretty old and beaten up shell, so I don't think you'd get in trouble for having it. The tortoise likely died a couple years ago and the shell hasn't really broken down yet.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just identify based on color and pattern. They are pretty good for identifying this from the other in the genus.