Genus Tapinauchenius

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mating T. plumipes

Here are some photos of mating Tapinauchenius plumipes.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cute little one... I love the Taps!

BTW, it's T. purpureus :)

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Such a nice genus, oddly I never posted pics here... I wonder why they are not more popular...

some pics of (might not be in the righ order!)

T. subcaeruleus female
T. latipes female
T. gigas female
T. elenae female
T. cupreus male

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Such a nice genus, oddly I never posted pics here... I wonder why they are not more popular...
Nice pics Martin, these are neck and neck w/ Poecilotheria as my favorite arboreals.

I think here in U.S. the lack of "popularity" of this genus may have a lot to do with the lack of CB success (at least recently) with species other than T. gigas. I've got 6 "species" of Taps, and all but my T. gigas were imported.

Hopefully we'll get more of them being CB here... I sent a male T. eleane away to a friend (the only person in the U.S. I could find who had a female!) and the mating went well but she molted out. I've got both T. plumipes and T. cupreus females which have been mated... fingers crossed. I love to get my hands on a T. latipes male.

Have you successfully bred any of these yourself?

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What is the temperament(s)of this genus like? I see that one in a threat display, so presumably they are more defensive than most Avics, which they do remind me of. Are they mainly just skittish/flighty or usually quick to bite?

pitbulllady

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eric,

I never bred any myself unfortunatly. Like most, I got my specimens as slings and was unable to successfully synchronise inbreeding for my first attempts, so my males pretty much matured to waste, as no one that I know have females in Canada... so I am now patiently raising slings to get new males...

Good luck on your attempts

Pitbull... they are fast!!! well mostly T. gigas I find, the others I find to be less skittish, what do other people think about this? I personnally think T. gigas is hands down the fastest species I ever worked with, I remember unpacking a huge import of about 600 slings and it was about 3 am, every single T. gigas ran away from me (I retrieved them all, but I could have done without the late night chasing around). They are on the defensive side as you can see, but nothing to worry about... I find they just like showing off nice threat displays :) I like spiders with attitude and taps are great for that!

Martin

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here are a couple of extra "gentle" pictures just for Pitbullady!

Also a mature male T. gigas

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So they're like Avics on crystal meth, huh? I'm now wondering if the T's that made up a small colony for a brief period of time around what used to be a country store on our property weren't of this genus, rather than Avics. I can recall a HUGE furry T on an oak tree trunk that was all stretched out in that "Pokie" position like the T. cupreus in Tarcan's pic, the one which my redneck uncle felt compelled to shoot out of the tree with a .22 rifle. Everyone who'd actually seen these spiders while they were still around remarked at how fast they could run, which was how they managed to escape being bludgeoned or stomped to death after escaping from banana and other fruit crates in the store, the fate which the poor Tree Boa stowaways met with.

pitbulllady

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Great pictures Martin!

I think everyone knows this is my favorite genus!

I have:

Female T. gigas
Female T. latipes
Female T. plumipes
Female T. purpureus
Female T. cupreus
Female of undetermined species

2 elenae slings
2 purpureus slings
4 plumipes slings
3 gigas slings

And next month I have coming:

Another female latipes
Female subcaeruleus
Another gigas sling
Another elenae sling

I also have Eric's mature male plumipes here.

The "Taps" are definitely well represented in my collection. All I need is a better camera (and photography skills) to capture my beauties on film!

As far as temperament goes, my experience meshes well with Martin's. My gigas female is definitely the one with the larger attitude. My purpureus seems to be my calmest. I almost lost a cupreus sling down the drain in my tub once though. I do a lot of transfers in my bathtub because my carpet is brown and it's hard to see fleeing spiderlings. In this particular transfer, I had forgotten to block off the overflow hole thingy in the tub, and of course the sling ducked right in there. I damn near tore the plumbing apart, unscrewed things, made a huge mess. But I recovered the sling. Thankfully it hadn't gone deep in the plumbing, it was just inside the hole.

Last edited:

memen49

Arachnopeon
LPacker79 hi!
I think you have a good collection ,and have you pics for us?
thanks !
And for yours eyes my new tarentule a female
Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus

see you later!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never seen one of those either. Awesome spider. The color reminds me of P. cambridgei without the chevron markings on the abdomen. Awesome pics :clap: .

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow shes nice :) I can see Leanne drooling over these pics since how she loves the Tap. spieces.