Genus Tapinauchenius

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It does look similar to T. plumipes, but the location of T. plumipes isn't Guayanas, Suriname?? and the Trinidad variant?. I found it in the other side of the Amazon, very very far from there... but could be that one who knows...
Also, the adults I've seen do look kind of different...

Cheers,
Pato

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's not going to be T. plumipes...

Get Eric and I some specimens and we'll let you know...;P

C

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So you're Mr. Tapinauchenius eh? haha.. I was just curious to see if anyone know them... but you are welcome to come over here and take look at them if you like! ;P

Cheers,
Pato

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, Eric will work on the morphology and I will work on the DNA.

C

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good to hear you're working on it. I thought there were none doing it, best luck to you two. It's too bad we are all scattered around the world, hopefully we can all meet sometime.. I'll keep posting pics as they grow...

Pato-

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti

Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti sling

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti​

The parents of those spiderlings were collected in St. Lucia... I was told they were T. sanctivincinti as well but do you have any thoughts since you have ben there? Maybe it is safer to label them T. sp. St. Lucia... or T. "sanctivincinti" St. Lucia... any suggestions?
Oops... I see that Martin asked me a question about this name earlier in this thread (a few pages back) and I seem to have failed to respond.:eek:

While this is only my opinion.... I would hesitate to just assume that the Tapinauchenius from St. Vincent and St. Lucia are the same species.

From my personal experience in the field, and from talking with locals from both islands, these spiders are not living near the coasts. They're living at higher elevations in the rainforest. Point being, that while these islands aren't terribly far apart, they are of independent volcanic origin and these populations may have been isolated for a very long time. Regardless, these populations are now on separate evolutionary paths.

Until some further morphological and molecular work is done, I am uncomfortable calling the Taps from St. Lucia T. sanctivincenti. If I'm wrong, and they are identical, then no harm done. But regardless, it is much safer to assume they are not the same, and keep the island forms separate. If they must be called Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti at this point, can we at least keep them as T. sanctivincenti (St. Lucia)?

I did not have the time to jump through the proper hurdles expected by the St. Lucian government to export specimens when I was in St. Lucia. So I did not bring specimens home from there on my last trip. So, I am very much hoping to get some of these offspring eventually. I will need to get back to St. Lucia to collect my own specimens eventually, but I have other nearby islands on the agenda for this/next year.

Eric​

Last edited:

hellraizor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius violaceus female

Eric
Im trying to find a care sheet on this species, but am having terrible luck thus far. Im also wondering how they are when trying to breed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..

PAUL BOLLINGER

Arachnopeon
Tapinauchenius de Peru

Perhaps it's T. subcaeruleus but it was sold as Tapinauchenius ssp"Amazon Tigre" Eric if you'd like a specimen to help determine the species, say the word.

Sold as T. gigas

Any Ideas?
Paul

PAUL BOLLINGER

Arachnopeon
Tapinauchenius de Peru

The first pic is definitely not of T. cupreus It has very prominent barring on the abdomen, but I agree about the T. elenae ID.T.gigas is what it was sold under:)
Paul