Genus Selenocosmia

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

It has got very nice colouration. Hmm when he will dead can sell for me it?

bakeb01

Arachnopeon
Crassipes Sling

Hi,

i just had a S.Crassipes. Sling. approximately an inch in length.

as i live in the UK. i have to use artificial heating.

what temp and feeding patterns do you suggest?

Are there any specific needs that these spiders have that other slings dont?

thanks

domesday

Arachnopeon
i have 2 T's which i think is under this thread. im not really sure about their id. i think they are orphnaecus sp. but when i saw the pics of in this thread i think they are s. peerboomi. am i right? would appreciate any help in their id. tnx...
Male

Female

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

if Met. IV in females is fully scopulated, then I would say that it is Sel. peerboomi, if not, then I think it is an Orphnaecus Species!;)

Cheers, Volker

domesday

Arachnopeon
Hi,

if Met. IV in females is fully scopulated, then I would say that it is Sel. peerboomi, if not, then I think it is an Orphnaecus Species!;)

Cheers, Volker
could you elaborate or describe in simple terms. im a newbie. tnx...:)
i think the male is a selenocosmia specie while the female is an orphnaecus.

domesday

Arachnopeon
what do you mean by fully scopulated? the IV met is 4th metatarsal, ryt? tnx... :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
What Volker is trying to say (sorry to cut in on your dance mate ;)):

Are the shiny leg pads (underneath the feet and shins [scopula]) on the second last section [metatarsus] of the very back leg [leg IV] "entire" on that section underneath, or do they only run up to maybe half the length of that leg section [metatarsus]???

Hope this helps :)

Steve

Last edited:

domesday

Arachnopeon
ok, tnx volker and steve. ill check my T l8r, ill also try to post pics of the 4th meta IV... :)

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
What Volker is trying to say (sorry to cut in on your dance mate ;)):

Are the shiny leg pads (underneath the feet and shins [scopula]) on the second last section [metatarsus] of the very back leg [leg IV] "entire" on that section underneath, or do they only run up to maybe half the length of that leg section [metatursus]???

Hope this helps :)

Steve
Hi,
like this one:

or this one:

Both are legs IV of premolt female S. peerboomi

domesday

Arachnopeon
this is the best pic ive got of the IV metatarsus of my T. i think it has scopula which means it is under the genus selenocosmia. correct me if im wrong. tnx guys... :)

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think it has scopula which means it is under the genus selenocosmia. correct me if im wrong. tnx guys... :)
Hi,
It has scopula, all T's do ;) It's a question of the morphology of the scopula (eg: divided, or undivided........scopula entire ventrally, or only covering a portion of the ventral area of the metatarsus). Your image shows that the scopula cover about 3/4 of the met. IV, therefore, not entire.

Keeping this in mind, the scopula grow as a spider ages and are only fully developed once the spider is mature, going by the size of your spider, she is mature and if she was indeed S.peerboomi, those scopula would cover the entire area (as Ota's/Zlost images of S.peerboomi showed).

Therefore, following what Volker told you, your female is an Orphnaecus species of some sort. Albeit one I personally find very interesting, where did you buy the spider from???

Steve

domesday

Arachnopeon
currently ive got 2 T's of this specie. one was just given to me by a friend (he said that it is still a sub-adult) and the other one was sold as s. arndsti (mature already since it already dropped an eggsac 3 weeks ago) which i think has the wrong ID since both are wildcaught here in the philippines. the first 2 pics of the metatarsus i posted earlier are from the said sub-adult. this new pic is from the adult one that dropped an eggsac. tnx for the help in trying to id this specie... :)

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If you can find out which island and or province they were from that would be a big help to.

Seigneur Veinen

Arachnopeon
they hide in a very deep burrow, just show themselves sometimes during nite, but they move very very faster than Haplos...

Regards

Glenn

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A couple new pics of my S. peerboomi. Grass is a bit high so I wasn't able to get anything really good. :(