Genus Selenocosmia

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Selenocosmia peerboomi pt. 2

lousy pic from mating
unfortunately the cage is from milky plastic, so it was impossible to take better shots

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brachy said:
Hi

Can you say something about of this picture? What I see on picture. Labium i know but more. Charakteristic things of this species.
Hello,
There are no characteristic things to point out in a young exuvia, in an adult, yes, a young specimen, no ;) At least not to species level, even genus level at this size is very difficult. At this young age the maxillary lyra still has the more plesiomorphic shape and is yet to stretch out into the full Phlogius lyra (not pictured here). Same with cuspules, shape of the sternum, etc.

However, the presence of a lot of cuspules on the labium and basal ventro maxillary area is a good character to help identify a possible theraphosid.

As the spider ages, the diagnostic characters of the groups she is related to will develop and become more evident, such as I mentioned with the lyra above :)

Hope this helps,
Steve

P.S. Timo!!!! Awesome shots, I can very much appreciate the clarity seen in these!! (you know I want your scope!!! ;))

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Mr. Nunn!

Thank you for very interesting and excellent answere. I would like to read more and more answeres of thes type. Thanks!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I'd guess it's local to you?? It looks like an Orphnaecus sp., although without looking closer at one I couldn't be certain of that, as there are no characters to look at in basic images of selenocosmiines. Most of them look a lot like that one :) Send a moult or exuvium to myself, Volker, Soren, Borris, Ray Hale, there are a few of us brown spider lovers out there who could assist further :)

Steve

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you find it in the Philippines? If so which of the islands, and what locality? This could be very helpful in narrowing down the possible species. Also a dead specimen, or a molt sent to for instance me (pm me) could sort out the genus for a start.

Regards
Søren

nhojz said:
guys, what specie is this? :(

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, i didnt know there were so many kinds of selenocosmias!!!! ?&?$%?$/ is s.dichromata pretty!!!! S.arndsti too!!!! Wow guys, go on with the thread :). I just have my little s.crassipes sling and its one of my favorite of my collection :). I find Selenocosmias are soooooo feminin and sexy!!!!

phil.

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Selenocosmia arndsti

yet juvie...

ps: steve, i'm still thinking of you, don't worry :)

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my s. philippinus just molted (with and without flash)

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi tarsier,
What is the largest size you have seen these at??

Thanks,
Steve
Hi, i've never seen a live specimen with a legspan greater than 3 inches. However, I have seen a preserved specimen of a subadult male approx. 4 to 5 inches in legspan (this was last November so im not really sure anymore).

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi David
Do you ever see light colour forms of Selenocosmia peerboomi out there?

Please if you get an eggsac can you keep an eye out for any spiderlings that appear to be lighter in colour than the others. Oh and good luck with it.:)

All the best
Chris

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh wow :eek:

no one i know keeps any of them - i need to get one... you don't happen to know if any are bred in europe?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi David
Do you ever see light colour forms of Selenocosmia peerboomi out there?

Please if you get an eggsac can you keep an eye out for any spiderlings that appear to be lighter in colour than the others. Oh and good luck with it.:)

All the best
Chris
Hi Chris,

This is the first time I've seen S. peerboomi so I'm not sure about the light and dark color forms. There seem to be a number of dealers here in the US with spiderlings of this species. They might be able to tell you more about that.

If I'm able to get a sac from this female I'll definitely keep an eye on the spiderlings, note any differences and let you know if there are any.

Thanks. :)

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey David

nice picture

and you are right that is an interesting mating pose, ive never seen anything like that.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i get my next T, i'm considering one of these. anyone know if there's any S. javanensis for sale in the US?

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi Chris,

This is the first time I've seen S. peerboomi so I'm not sure about the light and dark color forms. There seem to be a number of dealers here in the US with spiderlings of this species. They might be able to tell you more about that.

If I'm able to get a sac from this female I'll definitely keep an eye on the spiderlings, note any differences and let you know if there are any.

Thanks. :)

Hi David

Can you send me your email addy as I have something that may be of interest to you ;) .
Cheers
Chris