Genus Selenocosmia

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have no idea how i got it, but i live smack dab in the middle of the US, and i have an S. crassipes. must be near a molt, because since the day i got her, she has always been very drab.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was sold to me as a Chilobrachys species, but I don't know...

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Orphnaceus sp. needs pics

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, but not in the hobby ;)
I have 2 slings of Orphnaceus sp., they will be similar to S. dichromata (I have seen a photo from their mom). I bought them as a Chilobrachys sp. (Cebu), but I think they are Orphnaceus sp.
Anyone has a pic for an adult female?

Sincerely
Imre

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
See the Orphnaecus thread

bengerno said:
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, but not in the hobby ;)
I have 2 slings of Orphnaceus sp., they will be similar to S. dichromata (I have seen a photo from their mom). I bought them as a Chilobrachys sp. (Cebu), but I think they are Orphnaceus sp.
Anyone has a pic for an adult female?

Sincerely
Imre

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Two additions to this thread: Selenocosmia javanensis (collected in Java) and an unidentified Selenocosmia species (collected in Malaysia).

Enjoy
Søren

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Søren!

Nice new additions, I love Selenocosmia spp. but I'm not sure if I really have some species of that genus... Your javanensis looks impressive! I'm searching long enough for them. :worship:

phormingochilus said:
Two additions to this thread: Selenocosmia javanensis (collected in Java) and an unidentified Selenocosmia species (collected in Malaysia).
The unidentified species looks like, what I've become as Selenocosmia sp. "Java".

Here is a picture of it, I think he/she is about 3. instar.

And this pic says a lot of her temperament... :D

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could be a spiderling of S. javanensis. To my knowledge the most commonly imported spider from Java - If not the only one - is S. javanensis. There are other subspecies of S. javanensis and other species of Selenocosmia found in Java, but if they are indeed valid species I don't know. Most S. javanensis imported are collected in and around Bogor which is where we find the typical S. javanensis. The unidentified species has been found well out of the spread range of S. javanensis and is definetly another species.

Regards
Søren

priZZ said:
Hey Søren!
The unidentified species looks like, what I've become as Selenocosmia sp. "Java".

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Søren!

Hmmm... if You're right, than this is indeed good news... that's because I have no longer search for javanensis! ;) But we will see! Are You able to ID a species from it's moult, if I'll send You some skins in the future?

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can take a look, and if the exuvia is developed enough I can venture a qualified guess, based on a comparison of the specimens I have in my place ;-)

Søren

priZZ said:
Hi Søren!

Hmmm... if You're right, than this is indeed good news... that's because I have no longer search for javanensis! ;) But we will see! Are You able to ID a species from it's moult, if I'll send You some skins in the future?

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
I can take a look, and if the exuvia is developed enough I can venture a qualified guess, based on a comparison of the specimens I have in my place ;-)

Søren
Thanks, but this needs time. They are very small at the moment!

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi priZZ,

So it seems to me that we possibly have some S. javanensis :D

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think the name of this thread, while currently appropriate I guess, will be better suited in future with a name like Selenocosmiinae appreciation thread, something like that. So far, I would think all of about 3 different species shown here will end up still in the Selenocosmia, the rest are off to other genera eventually, this is a definite.

Just a forewarning, this thread 'name' will become obsolete, with probably a mix of maybe up to 4 different genera in here, probably more!

Steve