Genus Poecilotheria

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
Hi Bill,

almost, I wasn't talking about adults but about colour differences in juveniles and subadults....

Thanks Martin, that's great information.. When my P. regalis and P. formosa decide to be visible next, I'll have to snap some pictures and see what I can estimate on that method, and compare it to molts/epigastric 'lips' when I can see those clearly. Again, thanks for the information.

"verwaschen = fuzzy."

I got "Washed out" from a friend I asked, which is where I got confused. I guess that's probably the literal definition of it... I can see the connection to fuzzy..

Bill

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Bill,

your friend is right, "washed-out" or "washy" would be the correct translation (word by word), but I used it in the sence of fuzzy.
BTW, here is a good dictionary to translate single words (English-German, German-English): >>click me<<

all the best,
Martin

Not to be too off topic, here is a photo of Poecilotheria subfusca, subadult male:

Last edited:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
When in rome...

Poecilotheria formosa, spiderling, 1.5 inch

Bill

Attachments

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Martin,
I was beginning to wonder if Poec. rufilata was forgotten. Now, where's P. smithi? ;)
john

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Martin, fantastic. Now can you post a pic of that P.metallica molt other side up??

Thanks,
Steve

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
That P. metallica is very nice...

Now I know that I want one...

..or two...

maybe even three...

..or..

;P

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Martin. Simply put, the most amazing theraphosid I've ever seen, stunning! I'd love to know how many bloodlines there are in capivity of this species, it would be nice to see them preserved within the hobby, now they are here.

Steve

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well Martin,

Thanks for verifying that they (P. metallica) are now in the hobby, or did Michaela just find a molt laying around somewhere? ;)

Scott

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Todd was selling them, so yeah, I'm fairly sure they're here :p

How big is that molt? Some say they lose their color as they get larger, but if that's closer to an adult sized one, maybe I won't be as P. Miranda > P. Metallica.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tend to agree that Pokies aren't that aggressive. Alot of the other T's I keep use the threat posture alot more than my regalis, she's a large 7.5 inch female. I give her ample places to hide and she seem comfortable in her enclosure. I personally wouldn't advocate handling your Pokie, but I don't handle any of my T's unless it is absolutely necessary, not from fear of being bitten but out of respect for the spider. I would really feel upset if I were handling one of my T's and it fell and died because of me wanting to handle it. I mean how many people hold their prize tropical fish???

Andy

kairo

Arachnopeon
thanx

awesome pix!!!!!!!!!! this thread is exactly what i needed, cuz i'm trying to decide which poecilotheria to get first. if anyone has any recommendations--please share. thank you.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1cm Poecilotheria ornata

Suffered a bad moult almost a month ago - losing front legs, pedipalps, and damaging the fangs badly. He has not eaten in 4 weeks, but appears to drink from condensation on the sides of the tank.

He should attempt a moult soon - fingers crossed.....

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
something wonderful is happening!

P. regalis...

Last edited:

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha Kelly those are adorable!

PS: I emailed you yesterday

Jake

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool Kelly. Congrats again man. :) Those the ones you told me about a while back?

Phil

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll try to get my beatiful regalis and ornata up tommorrow. For now....

P.formosa sling around 1in

P.ruffilata sling around 1.25in

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Martin, what I've always wanted to ask you is, how do you make such great fotos. This poec e.g. on totally black backround. How is that possible? What do you use to receive such good results?