1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genus Phormictopus

Discussion in 'Tarantula Pictures' started by MrDeranged, Jan 14, 2004.

1. SNAFU

SNAFU Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    Little 4" female P. Cancerides right after I unpacked her. Sold as a cancerides anyway! Hopefully after a couple of molts, she'll get a little more "bling" and lose that plain brown overcoat.

[​IMG]

2. pato_chacoana

pato_chacoana Arachnoangel

Phormictopus cancerides

[​IMG]

pato-

3. Martin H.

Martin H. Arachnoangel Old Timer

Phormictopus cochleasvorax

[​IMG]

4. fartkowski

fartkowski Arachnoemperor

5. fartkowski

6. Sooner

Sooner Arachnoknight

This is a very underrated genus. This is Alucard, my P. cancerides. I haven't been able to get intact molts from this tarantula so I don't know if it's a she or a he. I'm also terrible at sexing from underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. strongboy4

strongboy4 Arachnopeon

P. cancerides

These are my P. cancerides mating. Look at their wonderful colour and just enjoy....

8. To bad Bagaturov never returned with anything useful to say.

Fartkowski, your T does not look like Cancerides. It just doesn't.

9. fartkowski

It defenetly has the attitude of P cancerides:D

10. Cyprine

Cyprine Arachnopeon

These pictures are absolutely beautiful.

11. moose35

moose35 Arachnoprince Old Timer

hey chris when i see those pics of that spider i can't help but to think Phormictopus platus.
    i'm probally wrong.
    but its just what i see.

its beautiful by the way

moose

12. GoTerps

GoTerps Arachnoking Old Timer

The spiders strongboy4 just posted pictures of are the in the same boat... not P. cancerides for me... but one of the spiders frequently sold incorrectly as such (often WC) for many, many years... the "purple" one. This spider is also sold incorrectly as P. atrichomatus sometimes.

Based on the Rudloff's revision, the "purple" spider may be undescribed. It's pictured many times in this thread.

It's not terribly surprising that THIS SPIDER gets collected and exported along with WC P. cancerides. I've seen these 2 spiders showing up as WC's and sold as the same thing ever since I've been in the hobby.

Eric

13. GoTerps

P. platus is another name that has no buisness being used in the hobby IMO.

As of right now, no living material of P. platus has ever been examined. The holotype and paratype are both subadult males. The female of whatever these specimens are is unknown. Even the original collection locale of the male types is questionable.

Rudloff (in the revision of this genus) does mention that this species is probably very close to P. auratus, based on the immature males in alcohol only.

The spider I see most commonly sold here in the U.S. as "P. platus" are almost always P. auratus.

Eric

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  14. moose35

moose35 Arachnoprince Old Timer

see i knew i was wrong.
    *damn people putting random crap in jars of alcohol and calling them whatever*:D

but do you think it looks like the us hobby "p. platus" (p. auratus) ?
    or another Phormictopus sp?

thanks

moose

15. maxident213

maxident213 Arachnolord Old Timer

Just wanted to say thank you Eric for posting your knowledge of the genus here for us. Phormictopus is my favourite genus and I have animals sold to me under several different names, but the more I look into the taxonomy of the genus, the less certain I am that they are what they are supposed to be. Information like you've provided here is always a valuable find to me. :worship:

I would love to try breeding the various Phormictopus species in the future but it seems like an uncertain venture with all the taxonomical confusion. Thank you again. :clap:

16. fartkowski

If not P cancerides, any ideas on what it could be?

17. GoTerps

It very well could be P. auratus, yes. Have to run now, but will comment more later.
    I'm not terribly familiar with how P. auratus looks during it's younger stages though.

Eric

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  18. fartkowski

Cool
    Thanks Eric.
    I bought it as a sling. It's now about 3-3 1/2"

19. Martin H.

Martin H. Arachnoangel Old Timer

Hi,

a Phormictopus cochleasvorax after it's meal:

[​IMG]

all the best,
    Martin

20. GoTerps, the pic you posted might be what is at rare occations sold as P. cancerides cancerides here in Europe, or even P. Cancerides "blue". So I guess it's just not properly identified or described even, as you say. I darn myself for not buying some when I had the chance.

On another note, I recently mated my cancerides male and female. The male was a beautiful copper color when he was a juvie, and then turned out like this.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa16/onlywork/PcanceridesMM.jpg

The fem looks alot like Strongboys, with the pinkish carapace. Almost like a huge and hungry Rosea ;) But then again, in a different light, Sooners pic might be the more identical. The lighting in the pics are very deciving.

She's got a sack now, and in 55 days we'll get to see the result.