Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed that too... sent him/her a PM about it... If yer interested too, I suggest we band together at some point when the retail hits on the 28th. PM me if yer interested.

LCDXX

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
I'm getting worse than Eddy with all these damn pics...
Ha Ha, you are all lucky that i only have 1 haplopelma! i'm more interested in other blue spiders.....=D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by metallica
Ha Ha, you are all lucky that i only have 1 haplopelma! i'm more interested in other blue spiders.....=D
Is this not blue enough?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
H sp. "aureopilosum" has shed at last - starting to look like a tarantula now =D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Guys, help quick.... my petstore has a Haplopelma schmidti - adult female for $40.00. Should I get her? Is that a good price? THIS COULD BE THE CHANCE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! I'm becoming a Haplopelma FREAK!!!

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Guys, help quick.... my petstore has a Haplopelma schmidti - adult female for $40.00. Should I get her? Is that a good price? THIS COULD BE THE CHANCE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! I'm becoming a Haplopelma FREAK!!!
If your sure that its a female and positive of the id... HELL YEAH!:D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buy it. Buy it now! That's a bargain price, you Yanks are paying that for spiderlings!
If you do go for it, keep is segregated from your other spiders, Chinese WC spiders are often parasite infested. Make sure she doesn't hold her palps under the body all the time, and see if she feeds. The golden form of H schmidti often fails to acclimatise to captive conditions - many of them will die.

Oh, and here's a sub-adult male:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for the advice... I had no idea. When I went to pick her up, she was eating a pinkie, that's a good sign! And, she took a nice long "T" bath when she was done, another good sign.... here she is, I'm SO thrilled with her!! I'm pretty darn sure she is a schmidti, take a look!

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for the advice... I had no idea. When I went to pick her up, she was eating a pinkie, that's a good sign! And, she took a nice long "T" bath when she was done, another good sign.... here she is, I'm SO thrilled with her!! I'm pretty darn sure she is a schmidti, take a look!
THAT IS GORGEOUS! Im glad you listened as well so I could see her...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's one seriously battered looking wild caught female!

Terri:
Keep her away from the others for now. Check her carefully for parasitic mites (please don't get bitten, they are rather defensive and powerful)
If she is feeding then she *should* be clear of Nematode infection (something like 80% imported are infected?) so just make sure she doesn't keep her palps under her all the time.

When she moults I promise you she will look absolutely stunning. How big is it? There are reports of 8-9" females and mine as over 7".
Keep her well hydrated and make sure she can dig deep or she will be overly stressed and lose her abdominal setae.

Then get looking for a male....

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, how is it looking battered?
It looks really cool, like a really crossbred cat :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The only way I would give her a thorough examination is with the refigerator method... but I don't want to stress her right now!!

She's got 7" deep, damp soil, ready to burrow but hasn't made the move yet. I'm going to make a "starter burrow" for her, that ALWAYS works. When I do that, I will photograph her next to a ruler. She's massive, I'd say 7" right now!!

Thanks again, you're advice is much needed and much appreciated. I really don't want to lose this one, she's a beaut!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Hmm, how is it looking battered?
You didn't notice that almost half the setae are missing from the carapace and patella?

It will all return next moult :)

Good luck with her Terri, they can be adapted to captivity, it just takes a bit of luck :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes, a little missing setae is no bother, probably rubbed off in shipping. Heck, even a missing leg or palp would be no big deal, that will all come back in a molt. My main concern now is parasites and stress.

I'll keep you posted!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Is this not blue enough?

eh NOPE! and now you know it for yourself!!! mine are up for a molt any day now!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by metallica
eh NOPE! and now you know it for yourself!!! mine are up for a molt any day now!
Indeed I have - the future's bright. The future's blue!

But I also like gold....

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I retract my previous statement!

Did that one survive, Martin?

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) ive just reduced my collection from 10 to 6 Ts. the one i miss the most is my genic but i did get a cobalt blue as replacement:)
ive decided i will try not to purchase another T until one dies on me. im a bit scared to enter certain pet shops though just incase they have a T in that ive just gotta have:} just like the cobalt :rolleyes:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
THANKS MARTIN!! That very sad picture was encouraging! Mine looks robust and healthy compared to that poor specimen. I took her out of her enclosure last night to make a "starter burrow" and she climbed right in and started to dig! Here she is next to a ruler, I'd say 7" flat out!