Genus Chilobrachys

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this was actually thier 5th attempt together. After which, someone I look up to in the breeding community recommended upping her humidity and moving her into a new enclosure. Which is why the "furniture" was removed.. this last mating attempt was done in the process. Yes, I love to photograph my Ts, but not at the cost of a sac.
I appreciate the advice though

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't say you would compromise a sac for a photo, if I sounded condescending to you my apologies, just trying to help. Anyhow you seem to have it all under control.

Cheers,
Steve

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
under control, yes.. though understanding why these two are acting strangely, no... like I said, I appreciate your advice Steve.
I shark tanked him in her new enclosure last night. hopefully, this will give them some sort of insentive over time.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
under control, yes.. though understanding why these two are acting strangely, no... like I said, I appreciate your advice Steve.
I shark tanked him in her new enclosure last night. hopefully, this will give them some sort of insentive over time.

Hi,
No dramas :) I would still think the recent upset (not moving furniture, but moving enclosures in your case) is why you are having trouble, it may just be a matter of giving her time to settle in. Also, if the previous attempts have been successful, you will find the male loses interest, this happens after multiple matings with the same male for some reason, why I don't know, but I have seen it a lot.

Good luck with it, they are a beautiful species.

Steve

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
agreed, no dramas.. what I meant was this was thier 5th mating attempt, and nothing was disturbed the first 4 times. None were successful, and each attempt has gone exactly the same as the last. No interest, no disruptions, no nothing..

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, then she is not in a mood to be breeding, the male is not picking up on the pheromones in the silk that would alert him to an eager female. You see a similar result if you put a mature male in with an immature female, it can be a good link up, but sometimes it can look like the young females are being assaulted. Not that your female is too young, that was just an example of no pheromone in the silk, this might occur for any number of reasons, none of which I could pinpoint in your case.

If I was in your situation, and knowing what Chilobrachys can be like, I would put enough substrate in for her to have a deep verticle opening burrow, I would add rocks so that she could even dig a hide if the substrate won't hold together by istelf. This should get her to put some phermones down. Once she has developed the typical selenocosmiine fossorial "hole" in the ground, I would sprinkle new substrate all over the enclosure, covering up the silk she has run around in captivity, or remove it manually first. I would also wipe the silk from the sides of the enclosure (so as not to give him false female location signs) I would not sprinkle it around the burrow entrance, I would want the male to find the silk only then, this would get him going for sure, give him a precise location for the burrow entrance (which tells him where the female will be, making him feel safer) and is a safer way to have most breeding fossorial selenocosmiines IMO. If I have a problem in an enclosure with selelnocosmiines that will not breed with a typical hide, I give them the deep hole setup and it has worked for me over and over.

In the wild, these spiders do not have elaborate setups like we see in the enclosures, masses of visible silk are not present at all. Usually only a hole is seen, with a tiny little bit of silk around the entrance. In captivity the females go haywire, laying silk everywhere. I believe when this happens it is almost impossible for a male to locate a female as he would in the wild, usually he lands on the females silk and panics. If I remove the silk first and have the female in a deep burrow with the typical hole in the ground, I usually can get a good link up.

I'm not saying this will solve your problems, but it is what I would try first.

Steve

Seigneur Veinen

Arachnopeon

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi massmorels,

GoTerps.. maybe you can lend some assistance in my huahini breedings. Im having a little trouble with these two. The male doesnt pursue the female, and the female doesnt acknowledge the male.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Everything Steve had to say is good advice! I'd get that female into a comfortable burrow... then mate them.

Personally, I keep my Chilobrachys spp. in small "Haplo-style" setups. Below is the enclosure housing the female w/ eggsac pictured earlier:

Prior to the slings emerging from the eggsac, the mother brought the eggsac to the top of the burrow... which has been my experience with members of this subfamily in these types of setups.

Eric

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
another thing to take in mind is usually alot of the wc asians species have already laid sacs by now.i would still continue trying to mate them but that could be a factor as to why the female isnt interested.also how do u know that male is actually sp.haunini?or even the female for the matter.i personly dont know how to id them but tons of chilos that get imported are all sold under that name

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

Is it true that some Chilobrachys sp. are found to live arboreally / semi arboreally in nature?

Mike.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

Is it true that some Chilobrachys sp. are found to live arboreally / semi arboreally in nature?

Mike.
ive also heard about people keeping some of these in aboreal set-ups.with the amount of webbing some of the chilos do im sure they would adapt good to such a enclosure

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the response Eric.. Im still trying to figure out what I have thats big enough for a setup of that type, and a female of this size.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

Mike.
Hi Mike,
Yes, Andrew Smith of The BTS gave me some detailed descriptions of Chilobrachys he found living arboreally in the Western Ghats I think it was from memory. Some of the Indian arachnologists have also noted this behaviour from some Chilobrachys spp. Whether or not it applies to only some species or even only juveniles I could not say. I don't know of other reports of this behaviour, but I would bet they do exist.

Cheers,
Steve

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi massmorels,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Everything Steve had to say is good advice! I'd get that female into a comfortable burrow... then mate them.

Personally, I keep my Chilobrachys spp. in small "Haplo-style" setups. Below is the enclosure housing the female w/ eggsac pictured earlier:

Prior to the slings emerging from the eggsac, the mother brought the eggsac to the top of the burrow... which has been my experience with members of this subfamily in these types of setups.

Eric

Is there a specific place those containers can be found? Do they have a name?

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They look like the rubbermaid containers I keep breakfast cereal in. You can probably find them at any wal mart for cheap.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Novak,

Is there a specific place those containers can be found? Do they have a name?
These are cereal containers from The Container Store. The brand name is "decor". I use 5L and 3L sizes. I prefer these to the elliptical Rubbermaid ones. They are more expensive than others, but I prefer them.

Eric

Seigneur Veinen

Arachnopeon
Is there someone who could send some good pictures of stridulation organs of :
C. dyscolus, C. brevipes, C. huahini, C. jingzhao, C. guangxiensis, and C. fimbriatus ?

Thanx to all

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Novak,

These are cereal containers from The Container Store. The brand name is "decor". I use 5L and 3L sizes. I prefer these to the elliptical Rubbermaid ones. They are more expensive than others, but I prefer them.

Eric

Darn, I don't think The Container Store here in CA has them, I was looking at their webpage and couldn't find it. Maybe they just aren't on the webpage? I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks though!