Genus Chaetopelma

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd love to have some of these shipped to the US, but I'm really afraid that they would not survive the trip, or that the shipping cost would be so high I would not be able to afford foor for the spiders for months afterwards!

What is the temperament on these like, by the way? And yeah, I saw the threat display from the Jerusalem female, but that's typical for what I get from my G. roseas and A. seemanis, two so-called "docile beginner species". I know they're OW, so they aren't going to be Avics, but they don't seem to be as bad as most Haplopelmas,for instance.

pitbulllady

hike34

Arachnopeon
They are mostly skittish, but won't hesitate to bite given the chance. For example, I tried using a brush to coax the T out for the last picture I posted, but the T attacked it and hung on - so I just carried her out while she was hanging on the the brush with her fanges.

As for acquiring them - I am preaty sure they are avilabe via a dealer in the states - http://www.e-spiderworld.com/forsale.htm

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know what form this one is? Bought it about 1-2 months ago. About 5cm legspan (2").

BEN-V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow hike34, your pics are truly great ! Thanks for sharing !

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chaetopelma gracile mature male, was found today in Jerusalem, walking next to my friend's house:

Cgracile.jpg

I think I better find him a female ;)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is one fine-looking T there! The first time I ever even heard of this species was when an amateur photographer in Jerusalem posted a pic of a mature male found wandering around the city. He didn't know what it was, except that it was a big, hairy spider. I knew right away it was a tarantula, but I had no idea that there were supposed to be tarantulas in the Middle East. I figured it had to be related to P. murinus or one of the other African species. I emailed a link to the pic to Rick West, who identified it as a Chaetopelma. With that metallic sheen, the mature males sorta remind me of a male P. cancerides. I would really love to find someone selling adults here in the US.

pitbulllady

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would really love to find someone selling adults here in the US.

pitbulllady
Unfortunately, it's gonna be awhile for this. :(

This species just came into the US less than a year ago - I believe Jacobi may have been the first to have them on his list as spiderlings.

I currently have 6 spiderlings and they've been pretty slow-growing (granted, I don't feed much). I got them a little over a year ago and they're just now hitting over an inch!

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Chaetopelma olivaceum
Freshly molted

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Bob,

Nice spider.

Just FYI, this genus was recently revised and this spider needs to now be labeled C. olivaceum.

Eric

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you Eric. Chris (Syndicate) sent me the paper about the name change. It was very interesting. I'll be sure to relabel :)

Bob

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Chaetopelma olivaceum

Chaetopelma olivaceum