Genus Brachypelma

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a picture of a matured male Brachypelma annitha

View attachment 126575
Very nice!! Will you be attempting to reproduce this species again this year? The B. annitha slings that I acquired from you a while back are all doing great and starting to show some coloration! I'd love to pick up another batch of B. annitha slings from you in 2014.

:biggrin:

David

Markman2000

Arachnopeon
Here's my female albopilosum, had her for 3 molts, she's maybe 4"

Got her from a very uninformed person off Kijiji. She didn't know anything about it really, all there was in the terrarium was a water dish and a fake plant with moldy smelling substrate.

I put a temporary hide in there for her while I made a nice new home. Now she's a lot happier, less stressed, moves around a lot more and webs all around. She stayed in the hide for 3 months or so, I could tell she was not well taken care of at all. The lady blew on her to make her move "yup still alive".

Also this spider has some attitude, I believe because of the stress the previous owner put her through, she is extremely skittish sometimes and will run into her hide just when I walk into the room. I've tried a couple times to guide her with tongs into a container and she attacks the tongs lol as well as attack water while I'm pouring it into her dish. She's a very good eater and will even dig down deep to find a superworm if it burrowed down. She does some weird stuff before molting, moves substrate all around the tank, made 4" piles in the corners, makes a web barricade on her hide. She's pretty neat to watch in general, always up to something, or just chilling half on the glass and half on the ground. When she's not in the molting process she's always in view.

I really want to stress how good it feels to take one of these beautiful creatures out of the hands of a crap owner who doesn't know anything about the animal they have.

I've been searching Kijiji for other species I'm interested in keeping, and I've found some pretty stupid comments like "g rosie for sale, don't have enough time to handle her daily and pay it the attention it deserves" like the tarantula WANTS you to be handling it daily.... ughguhguhu hate people

The way I see it most of these people are selling their tarantula with a terrarium for $60-$80 even for some of the more expensive species, so even if they were crap owners and the T dies it's not like you're losing out that badly and why not try to save some of these and give them happy homes.

Any ways here's some pictures, I'm going to switch out the neon green moss for sphagnum moss next time I change the substrate but for now the neon reindeer moss isn't causing any issues as long as I don't get it wet.

IMG_20140622_175154.jpg

1167401_10153544451820198_1275886670_o.jpg

1402114_10153544446290198_1290541754_o.jpg

1465887_10153544453380198_317828679_o.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Whats with the big wood chips? Not too safe, use something softer and press it down.

My smithi's starting to get a little size, love this t....great eater, fast molter and usually out and visible.

Attachments

Markman2000

Arachnopeon
lol are you kidding me, it's coconut fiber... and how could it be dangerous... but whatever, I know it isn't, she digs through it, picks it up and carries it around, even lunges through it to attack her meal. Coconut fiber is a lot softer than actual wood chips, and it doesn't splinter.

Dowd0

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, here is my big boy brachypelma Smithi..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyguy

Arachnopeon
1.0 B. auratum fresh molt (continued)

1.0 B. auratum fresh molt (continued)
P1150540.jpg
P1150546.jpg

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I just picked up a 1" B. boehmei at a show today. I'm hoping for female since she was so much smaller than her sac mate.