Genus Brachypelma

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Confirmation on your specimen or for the species?
A revision on its way or?

/Lelle

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
on my specimen. the genus is a mess..... but then what genus isn't?? on top of that 2 more Brachy species were added this year (schroederi and verdezi (sold a lot as B. pallidum)) but no revision in sight. even if i have confermation on my specimen, would i post here? all the replies i would get would be like: looks like a smithi to me or mmmm just another colorform of smithi like annitha.
ah well time will tell! my spider donated a leg to science, a English guy does DNA researche on Brachypelma.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by metallica
on my specimen. the genus is a mess..... but then what genus isn't?? on top of that 2 more Brachy species were added this year (schroederi and verdezi (sold a lot as B. pallidum)) but no revision in sight. even if i have confermation on my specimen, would i post here? all the replies i would get would be like: looks like a smithi to me or mmmm just another colorform of smithi like annitha.
ah well time will tell! my spider donated a leg to science, a English guy does DNA researche on Brachypelma.
Verdezi? I missed that one :) Is it schroederi that are all black? Or is that..yet another one?! ;-)
About the picture, can you mail it to me? If so use this addy: minax@chello.se
Once they thought auratum to be a highland form of smithi..
I dont really like to speculate - if its described as a species I consider it to be a species until someone proves that its not. Only hunches and suspition is not enough for me. I guess its too easy to describe new species and get it published.
Sounds interesting, I hope the english DNA guy does a good job.

/Lelle

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, another thread revival, but where better to post new pictures of Brachy's?

Up first, is a very young B.smithi

He should grow-up looking a lot like "Alice"

Then here's my young female B.emilia "Gypsy", just starting the really bright colors

Last up. is "Fierce", a male B.vagas close to the same age as "Gypsy" though a little slower of getting his adult bright red

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
laila said:
Well, metallica: Your pictures are great, as always!!!
don't you love it, when they start showing their colors?
hey your pics are nice and in focus! you could place yout spiders on leaves, outside of the tank, this way you dont get those nasty tank edges on the pic! also it is easier to light them this way! good luck!

Eddy

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallica said:
don't you love it, when they start showing their colors?
hey your pics are nice and in focus! you could place yout spiders on leaves, outside of the tank, this way you dont get those nasty tank edges on the pic! also it is easier to light them this way! good luck!

Eddy

Yes, I do love it! And there's nothing like a freshly molted T. :)
Thank you very much for hints and tips!!! Highly appreciated, because I really admire your pics...

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
detail of B.albopilosum. nothing spectacular, but it´s the best result with macro so far :rolleyes:

8leggedfriends

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
huh...?

Why doesnt anyone keep any B. angustum? They are very good spiders just you dont seem them very often. outside of mine i havent seen anyone elses?

No name

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brachypelma Boehmei

Hi All,

Some Brachypelma photos to share.

Regards,
nn

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brachypelma boehmei

My Mexican Fire Leg. I just picked up this guy from Botar at Lee Watson's Swap. {D It's about 1.5 inches though.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8leggedfriends said:
Why doesnt anyone keep any B. angustum? They are very good spiders just you dont seem them very often. outside of mine i havent seen anyone elses?
Maybe because it is very similar to B. vagans. I have one B. angustum but still so small about 1,5'' legspan.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice picture. This red on knees looks like on knees of B. auratum. Maybe It is just monitor colour.