Genus Avicularia

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had gotten two A. diversipes slings from the first US sac, one would not eat or take water and was lost after a few weeks, the other matured into a male. Jamie (jamiestarantulas.com) quickly replied to my AB classified listing him for breeding, quite a surprise as I'd assumed that finding him a date would be a long-shot. Jamie had successfully obtained the 2nd and 3rd diversipes sacs in the states ... she's incredibly talented, and seems to run on pure enthusiasm! Once again she succeeded in breeding with the MM which I had sent to her, these are 2nd and 3rd instar from that sac.

(Click through to view larger, including original sizes ... those really show off the color of these exotic slings!)

Avicularia diversipes sling _'Big Sister', 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling, 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling, Big Sister running. 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling, getting away! 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling _'Big Sister', 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling ... playing dead! 0.75". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling, 0.5". by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia diversipes sling ... thanks Jamie! by _papilio, on Flickr

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you! Yes, that would make a lot of sense to me, their behavior is not at all Avic-like.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even without the extra hooks?

Nice pics papilio!
Well, I was told by a breeder I trust that they were going to be reclassified. Then I replied to an old thread(Iridopelma Q....see it in Tarantula discussion) and got some pretty good info.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Well, I was told by a breeder I trust that they were going to be reclassified. Then I replied to an old thread(Iridopelma Q....see it in Tarantula discussion) and got some pretty good info.
That was the exact thread I was thinking of when I read your post. I don't doubt that they will be reclassified but not in Avicularia. Just like Avicularia versicolor and Avicularia laeta has been hinted at moving out of Avicularia.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you spiderwomen. :)

Jamie also sent along a few versi slings with the diversipes, I took some shots of one of them the same night. I especially recommend the 'Original' size view of these two on flickr. ;)

I think this first one looks kind of like an android T, with the blue electrical circuitry visible beneath its removed access carapace.

Avicularia versicolor sling (0.75") by _papilio, on Flickr

Avicularia versicolor sling (0.75") by _papilio, on Flickr

Last edited:

JavaJacketOC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sold as: Avicularia Amazonica
Most likely: Looks very similar to the last poster's picture

When purchased the seller also had "Peru Purple" and slings which looked similar to this sling, but minor differences in the rump pattern.

A.amazonica.jpg

As a sling it had black toes, tan legs, rump was Orange with black zebra stripes coming up from the underside with white between. Very long hairs, the rump appeared to have mohawk. I will post a pic later today

Attachments

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
This has been discussed before, but what does your trusted dealer base his opinion on?