Genus Aphonopelma

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's beautiful! Mine is very aggressive also. I wouldn't be too comfortable holding mine.

Jen

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's nothing more beautiful than a freshly molted Aphonopelma...

This is one of the species ("hentzi" complex right now) that I'm working with for my grad school research.

Enjoy,
Chris

Attachments

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gorgeous! I just love Aphonopelmas. Are you the person who wants to work on staightening out the taxonomy of the Aphonopelmas? If so, good luck to you.

Jen

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nah, the person doing that research is Dr. Brent Hendrixson at East Carolina University...but I do hope to help him and get some help from him...

and thanks! she's a sweety...

Chris

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful animal there! I can't help but bristle a bit whenever I hear someone refer to the Aphonopelmas as a "bunch of plain brown spiders", since to me, these are among the most beautiful of the New World T's.

pitbulllady

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is one of the species that I am studying...part of the "hentzi" complex right now. These little guys just hatched out the other day.

Enjoy,
Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got a bunch of new Aphonos lately, and decided to try something new for cages. I am trying to encourage them to burrow, so I am using gallon and half gallon plastic jars, with dirt from my ranch as the substrate. Ive been able to get them to burrow before, but Im hoping they will dig deeper burrows this way, and more readily.

I also got some large square tupperware containers that I am going to try as well. With those I will dampen the substrate and start a burrow for them. Ill post pics of those once I get them done. Unfortunatly, I didnt think, and ran out of dirt after just those two cages, so now Ive got to head back out to the desert for more. :blonde:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Simple yet perfect! Great Idea! That dirt would look great in so many of my desert species cages. How about you send some to me along with that A.moderatum ;P

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Simple yet perfect! Great Idea! That dirt would look great in so many of my desert species cages. How about you send some to me along with that A.moderatum ;P
Haha, good luck with that. Shes my largest female.

Heres some more bling just to make you jealous. Different specimen.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried a setup like that with my girl(iodus). She didn't get the idea and just sat around for a few months before I tried a more standard kind of enclosure with a hide.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I have had good luck with two of the five set up this way. One moderatum took right too a premade burrow, and has elaborated on it quite a bit. Im always catching her move dirt around. I also have one Carlsbad Green juvi who has started to dig its own burrow, ignoring the prestarted one. Ill try to get some pics of the moderatum with just her front legs looking out, its really neat.

Im also going to set them up on a shelf with a light that will simulate sunlight and shine directly on the cages. Im hoping this will get to them web over the burrows during the day like they do in the wild. Feeding will only occur during night time.