Genus Aphonopelma

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
scored this little guy from the local show for 10 dollars.kind of a rescue as he was being kept in a tiny deli cup with some kind of wood shavings as a substrate :/
it was sold as A.hentzi but ive been told it looks more like chalcodes?
what u guys think

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks just like my A. hentzis. My A. chalcodes look quite different, with much ligher coloring on the front legs, especially.

pitbulllady

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just a photo of my only "big tarantula". I've yet to finish my idea of giving her a suitable enclosure for a natural burrow so she's just being kept in a more normal enclosure for now. She does kick hairs occasionally which is a change from behavior previously...I take it to mean she's settled in now.

Btw, if anyone noticed, yep I just got done with a nice and refreshing soak and shower...LOL

Last edited:

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantula! I just love those Aphonopelmas! Nice pic. Thanks for sharing.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks! She is a beautiful T, lots of different shades of brown. Not a hentzi...but one of the eutylenum species complex.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a couple of fresh pics of a really small mature female Aphonopelma "somethingorother" that I've had for 5-6 years now. She was found as a "still-colorless"(according to her previous owner)'sling underneath some bricks in his backyard near Las Crucas, New Mexico, not far from the borders with TX and Mexico. He had her for 8 years before becoming bored with her and disappointed that she wasn't becoming this huge spider that he'd hoped for. His mother and I are good friends, and when she told him I had tarantulas, he sent this one to me. She is mostly black, which does fade to a duller brownish-black after awhile, but she moulted a couple of days ago, so I took these pics of her recently-moulted. I put a standard-sized prescription pill bottle cap in with her in one pic for scale, to show how small she is. This is the first time, though, that she's shown reddish setae underneath her legs following a moult. She is very docile and has never even kicked hairs at me.

pitbulllady

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
its a beautiful T, nice red hairs on the legs and butt.
Is that ordinary soil its in?
Whjat amazes me is that you guys in the states have these things on your doorstep, so envious!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its a beautiful T, nice red hairs on the legs and butt.
Is that ordinary soil its in?
Whjat amazes me is that you guys in the states have these things on your doorstep, so envious!
No, it's on a potting soil mixture from Wal-Mart.
I wish I COULD say that I have these things on my doorstep, but that's not the case. I live in South Carolina, on the east coast of the US, a LOOONG way from any native T populations. The nearest native populations are half a continent away, and it's a big continent! There are still some colonies of introduced B. vagans in Florida, but it's not like I will have the opportunity to go down there and look for any. I really don't have any more opportunities to find T's than you do, so I have to either buy 'em, or luck up once in awhile and have someone give me one that they've gotten tired of, like this one. Most of my freebies are G. roseas, though, that the owners have gotten scared of.

pitbulllady

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
hi,

A. spec. ex "mario souza"

any idea what it could be?

greets
karsten

So does anyone know anything about this tarantula? Where it came from even? It sure is a beauty and I would love to find out more about it. Is it even an Aphonopelma?

Veith

Arachnopeon
@Lorgakor

it came from Mario Souza.
that´s what i know...:?

i´ve seen pics of A. stoicum wich looks like my T:confused:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thank you Veith, is Mario Souza a person? A place? Sorry, I've never heard of that.
And you're right it does look similar to A. stoicum.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Ah okay! I feel silly now lol!:p Thank you for the information!:)