Genic not being a murder machine

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
I currently have a juvenile Acanthoscurria geniculata, roughly 3" in length. It was eating well up until I transferred it to an enclosure more suited for its size, as the former was getting a tad cramped for it. It's been a week and what happens when I offer a superworm is weird. My T moves towards the superworm, goes in for the kill, and just before moving to tackle it gets spooked and runs away. What's going on?

My T in its former enclosure eating a superworm DADE7AF4-E3F4-45C1-B514-4BAB56A985D8.jpeg

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If that image is recent, your genic is quite plump and looks like it's possibly in or going into premolt. About the only time they don't want to eat.

It may have also, in a true tarantula fashion, suddenly decided it doesn't like superworms anymore. You can try offering it a different prey item, if you don't believe it's in premolt. I've had luck breaking fasts that way for some picky Ts.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Yeah, once my genic starts kicking hair at food instead of eating it, I know a molt is rather soon. As said, given it’s plumpness and the refusal of food, more than likely it’ll molt in the near future.

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
If that image is recent, your genic is quite plump and looks like it's possibly in or going into premolt. About the only time they don't want to eat.

It may have also, in a true tarantula fashion, suddenly decided it doesn't like superworms anymore. You can try offering it a different prey item, if you don't believe it's in premolt. I've had luck breaking fasts that way for some picky Ts.
:/ My local pet store only has superworms, mealworms, and crix. I hate crickets, because I've had some bad experiences with them in the past. And mealworms are way too small for this absolute unit.

Guess I'll be waiting

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
:/ My local pet store only has superworms, mealworms, and crix. I hate crickets, because I've had some bad experiences with them in the past. And mealworms are way too small for this absolute unit.

Guess I'll be waiting
Crickets are obnoxious, I agree, but they generally generate really good feeding responses because they move around a lot. I wouldn't write them off just because of some bad experiences. That being said, the T may well be in premolt.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel

Guess I'll be waiting
That sucks, but I'll gander it's premolt anyway since most genics will jump at just about anything that moves when it's hungry, even water.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

Guess I'll be waiting
You could always feed it multiple mealworms. Judging from the photo, your T isn't too big for a couple of them. But as others said, it does have a plump abdomen so it may not be hungry.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
simple answer:::: (premolt), and yeah my P met despises superworms, and crickets are hard to breed IME, or maybe I suck at working with crickets IDK, roaches now thats where it is.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Guess I'll be waiting
Some spiders take time to settle into a new enclosure. It sounds like the prey is stressing it out. Combined with probable premolt equals a spider that fasts. Really, though, a week of not eating is no time at all.

You can always order roaches online, depending on where you live. I hate dealing with worms or crickets... roaches are ideal, in my opinion.