General Slug Care

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I’m current currently in Brookhaven, Mississippi on a family trip and I’m looking for some things while I’m out here. I’m looking at potentially bringing back some slugs but I know very little about keeping them. I will be headed back home on Sunday (currently Thursday 12:30am) and need to know how to keep them in deli/condiment cups until then. (will be hunting tomorrow) I do not know any of the species out here or anything, that's why I'm just asking about general care.

Thank you in advance for any and all help,
Wesley

schmiggle

Arachnoking
High humidity, vegetables in various states of decay, warm temperatures, usually (I believe). Depends on the species though, particularly since I know of at least one carnivorous species.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's me!

I still have all those species, too.

I use a solid piece of glass for every tank lid, no holes. Enough air leaks in for them around the edges, it would seem, and it keeps the humidity levels high enough.

Deep enough substrate to burrow in, lots of leaf letter, hiding spots, and enough food are all important. Feed them every day if possible with vegetables - I use almost entirely slices of frozen squash I get in bags from the grocery store.

A carrot or sweet potato will also last them a very long time.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
That's me!

I still have all those species, too.

I use a solid piece of glass for every tank lid, no holes. Enough air leaks in for them around the edges, it would seem, and it keeps the humidity levels high enough.

Deep enough substrate to burrow in, lots of leaf letter, hiding spots, and enough food are all important. Feed them every day if possible with vegetables - I use almost entirely slices of frozen squash I get in bags from the grocery store.

A carrot or sweet potato will also last them a very long time.
Awesome, thank you, this will help a lot!