General Photography Thread

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cool spider, but it looks like it is going to bite you lol

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys :) Ewok, you know how tarantulas move their fangs around after they've just finished eating? That's kind of what she was doing when I snapped the camera. It's like she was cleaning them or something. Either that or she was actually considering making a meal out of my thumb. {D I'll pick up just about anything: snakes (only if I know exactly what I'm dealing with), spiders (same with snakes), other creepy crawlies (ones that aren't overly aggressive). Some people even complain of getting bitten by wheel bugs, but I've never had a problem yet. Speaking of insects here's a few more pics... (I could be on here posting pictures all day long and I wouldn't run out) :rolleyes:

-Sarah

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice bumble bee, I stepped on one of those the other week with my barefoot.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice bumble bee, I stepped on one of those the other week with my barefoot.
Thanks, it doesn't look too happy in that second picture, though. I could tell it was getting antsy with my camera being so close to it. Ouch, I hate stepping on bees. Males of this particular species don't have stingers; they're extremely territorial and just dive-bomb you when you're outside. They're a regular pain in the butt too as they're constantly trying to drill holes in our deck. As the Population Control, I'll occasionally grab a badminton racket and play "whack the bumblebee" with them. I'm really good at it. I always win :D

-Sarah

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hah , yeah it wasn't too fun stepping on it, but it didn't hurt very bad or very long:? Good thing it wasn't a wasp:( Wasp stings are miserable.

Great pics metallica, I like the car cornering in the second pic.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DO either of you guys use Canon or Nikon digital SLRs?

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been wanting a digital Canon SLR for the longest time, but I just can't afford over $1,000 for the camera and the telephoto lens I want :drool: :rolleyes: The bee photos were taken with a 2MP Fuji A205, my first "serious" digital camera that I got back in 2004. I'm still extremely pleased with the results of a simple 2MP digital camera. So, after I used it every day and wore it out, this year I upgraded to a 7.1MP Fuji S700, which is what I used to take the pictures of the Argiope and jumping spider. With the A205, it was just a point-and-shoot type; the S700 has a few add-on lens options, but I've heard they aren't made well, so I've just been rolling with the lens my camera has on it already. I'm very happy with Fuji.

-Sarah

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i use a Canon 350D SLR. these pics are made using the Canon 70-200 4.0L in combination with 1.4 extender. i also use the Canon 100 mm 2.8 macro lens.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
nice pics metallica! not crazy about that series, but i've seen them go once or twice as a supporting race of a le mans series race. been a while..i hope this next year i'll be able to make it down to sebring for the 12 hours again.

sarah - nice pics..really like the Argiope. never handled one before though, i figured they'd be extremely skittish. what is that first critter in your last post? i don't think i've ever seen one of whatever they are before. :D

SenoritaSarah

Arachnopeon
Sarah, you have an AMAZING talent..the first bumble bee picture really stood out to me and is absolutely beautiful, as all of your photos are...but I really like bumble bees :) So it would be really awesome if you kept posting all your photos :D

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ xgrafcorex, those particular Argiopes aren't very skittish, they'll bounce like crazy on the web but if you put your hand below them and coax them off, they're fine. Once you get them on your hand, they're pretty cool with it :) you mean the creepy looking black thing with white fuzz on it? That would be an Arilus cristatus, otherwise known as a wheel bug :D We've got a ton of them in Virginia, especially when the Yucca plants bloom. The lightening bugs and the wheel bugs love the blossoms.

@ SenoritaSarah, thank you :) I'm glad you liked the bee pix, those are two of my favorite ones. As artsy as you are capable of?? You definitely have an eye for photography! Looking at those two pictures it was almost like I could imagine myself there on the beach :cool: People go crazy over beach photography, so if you're close to the beach, go out there and click away. Try things from different angles; sometimes you can't really get a good feel from the camera as to what the photo is going to look like until you upload it to your computer. Go nuts taking pictures - I do that all the time! {D

-Sarah

P.S. ~ I promise, I'll post a few more here in a little bit :D

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics! The colors are great in that first sunset pic.

here is somenew ones of mine

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
took a few pics of the sun setting over the gulf.

going to a different park tomorrow..hopefully the weather will be decent.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics! I miss Florida and the sunsets.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
yea, that is one nice thing about them..the weather has been good lately, not too hot (except during the middle of the day), and fairly clear of clouds. went to a different spot earlier and took some more.

this one is weird because the shutter was open for a long time, so the water looks sorta like ice.

basically sat there playing around with different settings and seeing how much it would change the photo. only the fourth image received a minor tweak in PS to make it a hair lighter overall, left the contrast the same though. the rest are all straight out of the camera. well i shrunk them with PS. :rolleyes:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sarah:
Really good macros. Some compacts are very good at macros by default, but it takes someone with an eye for photography to get pictures like that :)

You do use flash, I suppose? The camera's flash? The depth of focus isn't terribly shallow, and the pictures aren't very dark, but still they are as sharp as they can be, of things that are certainly not very still. That must mean very short shutter speeds, not the lowest F-number, and definitely flash?