General growth rate of b. Smithi

DragonsRreal

Arachnopeon
I just received my 1/4" b. Smithi sling today, and I was wondering what kind of growth rate they have at that size. Also, how often are they fed at that size?

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
Growth rate at that size isn't too slow, but slows down quite a bit once they get out of the sling stage. At that size most people feed 2-3 times a week.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I got a 1/4 inch b. Hamorii (formaly know as smithi) last september and now its about 2 inches. I feed it twice a week.

DragonsRreal

Arachnopeon
Good to know they grow relatively fast. It just looks so fragile! I put in a fruit fly that has a body about the size of the carapace but it doesn't seem interested. What is the best food for it at this size? Also, does it need any amount of substrate? I've read conflicting information about, well, everything. I have it in a baby food jar right now.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I put in a fruit fly that has a body about the size of the carapace but it doesn't seem interested. What is the best food for it at this size?
I would not bother with the fruit flies, as they don't have much nutritional value. Give it small freshly killed feeders (such as small crickets or mealworms) or pieces of those feeders (like cricket drumsticks or pieces of mealworm).

Also, does it need any amount of substrate? I've read conflicting information about, well, everything. I have it in a baby food jar right now.
Many tarantulas will burrow as slings. I would give it a few inches of substrate. Make it slightly damp and pack it down tight.

Tom Moran posted a comprehensive guide on raising slings:

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
While the sling guide is super long, it's pretty much the best resource out there for general sling care. Tom Moran makes excellent content.

DragonsRreal

Arachnopeon
I would not bother with the fruit flies, as they don't have much nutritional value. Give it small freshly killed feeders (such as small crickets or mealworms) or pieces of those feeders (like cricket drumsticks or pieces of mealworm).

Many tarantulas will burrow as slings. I would give it a few inches of substrate. Make it slightly damp and pack it down tight.

Tom Moran posted a comprehensive guide on raising slings:

Thank you VERY much! That is exactly what I needed!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
While the sling guide is super long, it's pretty much the best resource out there for general sling care. Tom Moran makes excellent content.
I'm hoping he'll eventually make a text version on his site, which would take less time to read than it takes to watch both videos.

Still, I would highly recommend watching those videos if you are new to slings.

DragonsRreal

Arachnopeon
I'm hoping he'll eventually make a text version on his site, which would take less time to read than it takes to watch both videos.

Still, I would highly recommend watching those videos if you are new to slings.
Advice taken, thank you so much!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure if it's covered in those videos, but feed it as much as it will eat until its like 2-3". They grow fast enough when they're small, but as they get bigger... my gosh does it hit a wall...

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have two that I've had a little under a year. Both started out as tiny slings, and both are now 2ish inches and sporting adult coloration. My B Emilia has grown even faster. B albo and vegans blew them all away.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Medium to large cricket legs worked for me. I tried fruit flies and never saw my Smithi eat them. I gave him two large cricket legs a couple days ago for the first time and he chowed on them all day. 20170830_003946.jpg

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
I can contribute some data here. This is my B. hamorii when I first got her/him on 03/04/2017: 20170304_165755.jpg
And this is the same spider as of 5 minutes ago: 20170831_121928[1].jpg

She/He is still in the same enclosure so you can really get a sense of how much growth there has been. She/He molted 3 times between these two pics.

DragonsRreal

Arachnopeon
I can contribute some data here. This is my B. hamorii when I first got her/him on 03/04/2017: View attachment 250667
And this is the same spider as of 5 minutes ago: View attachment 250668

She/He is still in the same enclosure so you can really get a sense of how much growth there has been. She/He molted 3 times between these two pics.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it's colors come out.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My female went from about 1/2" to 4" in 20 months. This was at pretty warm temps and lots of feeding
IMG_6338.JPG

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I keep comparison photos. This one signifies a month after its arrival on September 8th, 2014 and after the most recent moult on May 23rd, 2017. Nothing for scale, but it measures to approximately 3 inches in a relaxed stance, ie not stretched. I just took a measurement for the purpose of his thread.) Spread out like in the photo, it might be between 3 and 1/2 inces and 4, but I suck at estimating.

IMG_3094crop2-horz.jpg

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stunning girl! When you say "warmer temps" what range is she in? Mine are in a room that stays around 75.
In winter its probably about 75 degrees. In summer it is much warmer (I don't have air conditioning). gets into the high 80s or into the 90s most days.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just received my 1/4" b. Smithi sling today, and I was wondering what kind of growth rate they have at that size. Also, how often are they fed at that size?
People providing you growth rates by frequency feeding alone, provide you little to go on.

You need much more information than that to get a better idea.