1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gbb webbing top of the enclosure

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Pyrelitha, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Pyrelitha

Pyrelitha Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I don't think this is a bad thing, but I just wanna make sure, I wont hurt her any by opening the container right? She seems to panic when I try cause it pulls on the web. She never webbed the top with these 'pillars' but now there are like 6

Attached Files:

2. aphono

aphono Arachnoknight Active Member

Very typical GBB behavior, particularly in enclosures that either don't have much height and floor space or it's cluttered/has objects close to the lid. Like how you have the fake plants going right up to the lid and so much moss on the bottom. They like to web on top of things.. leaf right by lid has gotta be webbed over..

It will not harm the spider to tear up the webbing. They sure do react to it though. It's a personal pet peeve of mine.. started to rehouse mine to enclosures with much more height and floor space and kept decorations 'low' as not to encourage lid-webbing. Not deep substrate, so far none of mine showed any inclination to dig & also to gain more height space. It's not fool proof though- some will attach some to the lid anyways. They really do love to web over everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    It isn’t going to huet the spider. Just open it slowly so you can make sure it doesn’t try to bolt on you. Open it a few times and it might figure out not to web there. Then again, it may not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pyrelitha

I thought I was suppose to clutter it so that's why I did, but yeah she made it even worse over night XD

5. aphono

aphono Arachnoknight Active Member

That's a great thing to do for them actually! I think for this species it might be nice to give extra space between the top of the clutter and lid.

See what made me think "that's it. More space for this species". :rolleyes:

in case it's not clear.. that's him doing a head stand and swinging his butt back and fro on the lid. He was determined to web up the whole lid. I was so surprised at the degrees they're able to twist their abdomens. It often went perfectly upside down as he worked.

6. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Thats the best part about GBBs, watching them do their webbing acrobatics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pyrelitha

I do love watching her web, weirdly enough the corner with the water bowl is generally never webbed, she webbed it once and destroyed it herself, she doesn't touch that corner. Not entirely sure why lol

8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Keep your GBB in a container that is larger than you would for the average T of its size for the reasons you observed.

9. Pyrelitha

Yeah, he's in a really large container, for his size.

10. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Obt web a lot too , they were mean Even at 2” I wish mine was bigger she’s 4”. Gbb are the same only much less threat poses. Need more obt one isn’t enough!!!