GBB versus Pink zebra tarantula vs GBB

Mila

Arachnoknight
i wouldnt recommend a venomous animal to be around a child, especially not a 4 year old. keep it locked in a container and the kid can look at it and watch it hunt and web. the venom is extrememly dangerous to small children and all it takes is that 1 in 50,000 times you hold the tarantula for it to go severley wrong. a bit to a 4 year old has a high likely chance of limb amputation and life long nerve damage.

EDIT: oh i forgot to add T's make great pets for young kids as they dont require daily maintenance and kids have a habbit of going off of things. not to mention your kid wont be one of those annoying people with a fear of spiders and kill them on site

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
Warning received! I will definitely make sure I find a way to lock the T up before buying one. Thank you for the warning.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i wouldnt recommend a venomous animal to be around a child, especially not a 4 year old. keep it locked in a container and the kid can look at it and watch it hunt and web. the venom is extrememly dangerous to small children and all it takes is that 1 in 50,000 times you hold the tarantula for it to go severley wrong. a bit to a 4 year old has a high likely chance of limb amputation and life long nerve damage.
Educate yourself before educating others.

It is not dangerous to the child. In fact, a study shows even some of the most potent could only kill a very young child.

Stop fear mongering.

Mila

Arachnoknight
Educate yourself before educating others.

It is not dangerous to the child. In fact, a study shows even some of the most potent could only kill a very young child.

Stop fear mongering.
i never said kill. necrosis and nerve damage are real threats from venomous animals. theres a giant difference between killing and damaging. also, the kid could easily be allergic and allergies have more dramatic effects the younger the person is.

Mila

Arachnoknight
not to mention how even mild effects such as spasms can last for days or weeks. who wants to see their child suffer from spasms and chest pains for days or weeks when you could of avoided it by simply not handling them?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i never said kill. necrosis and nerve damage are real threats from venomous animals. theres a giant difference between killing and damaging. also, the kid could easily be allergic and allergies have more dramatic effects the younger the person is.
"Extremely dangerous" o_O

Easily be allergic. Sure, there's a chance I suppose. Spasms and chest pain are not symptoms from good beginner spiders, and in fact, likely not from any NW.

You're exaggerating. Alot.

cold blood

Staff member
a bit to a 4 year old has a high likely chance of limb amputation and life long nerve damage.
Nope, that's not even close. Not even for the most potent species...and the op is talking NW...effects of which are very mild...like take a benedryl because it is itchy.

Tarantula venom is totally different than many snake venoms.
necrosis and nerve damage are real threats from venomous animals
Some venomous animals, that is very true, however tarantula venom isn't in this category...especially the NW species talked about in this thread. Their urticating hairs are more dangerous than their venom....as is the mechanical damage from the large fangs

kid could easily be allergic and allergies have more dramatic effects the younger the person is
First off, the way tarantula venom works (see the sticky...here...http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-venom-and-anaphylaxis.287185/ ), its nearly impossible for tarantula venom to initiate an allergic reaction...its possible, but we're still waiting for the first such occasion.

Secondly, for an allergic reaction to even occur, the person would have had to have been bitten previously and exposed to the venom...so its just plain not possible to happen with first time exposure.
not to mention how even mild effects such as spasms can last for days or weeks.
Again, while this is true with OW species, its absolutely not a response one gets from NW venom (being discussed here), that's an OW response.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
a bit to a 4 year old has a high likely chance of limb amputation and life long nerve damage.
This would be wildly incorrect for a NW species. It’s no more harmful than a bee sting. Even an OW wouldn’t cause any type of necrosis that might require an amputation in a 4yo.

Even in the most potent OW’s, the venom LD50 is only potentially dangerous to like infants based on body weight.

Cheers.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have a good point there and I have talked to my son about how we will proceed with the T. I also plan to put the T under lock and key as my son is quit cheeky. I never thought about people on this site being mean as I figure everyone loves Ts here and wants to educate the public and show the Ts in a positive light. Right now, I'm leaning towards the pink Zebra T and def want to take good care of him. I am still researching...
I have two boys. One is fascinated with the hobby and has been asking for a scolopendra gigantea for about a year (don't look it up if you don't like centipedes ;) ). The other around the same age as your boy found them interesting for maybe a month then acted like any other child that wants a pet: he lost interest.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
People get hung up on the venom.

One quick flick of the hairs could put a child in some serious harm. Eyes, nose, lungs. Even without direct contact, a child rubbing their eyes after handling the tarantula can really harm a child.

http://nationalpost.com/news/3-year...lasts-his-eyes-with-painful-microscopic-barbs

And an unpredictable small child could easily harm or injury the animal by accident.

A child can easily help prepare bugs for meals, assist in various other ways without having to handle the animal.

In Jacobi's book he recommends a child assist in record-keeping for feeding and molts.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Unless I'm mistaken, spider bites that cause tissue necrosis are limited to those in the family Sicariidae, which are definitely not tarantulas.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

EDIT: oh i forgot to add T's make great pets for young kids as they dont require daily maintenance and kids have a habbit of going off of things. not to mention your kid wont be one of those annoying people with a fear of spiders and kill them on site
I don't know where you get your information, but that couldn't be any further from the truth.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Spasms and chest pain are not symptoms from good beginner spiders, and in fact, likely not from any NW.

You're exaggerating. Alot.
Indeed. But you know that there's NW T's with a pretty potent venom (again, if compared to this whole army of lovely 'beginners & pet rock' T's) like genus Ephebopus, genus Psalmopoeus etc

I'm not sure how much he was overexaggerating the whole thing (still every of us is different, on that sense) but in a UK (pretty famous) arachnid/inverts forum once a man, bitten by a P.irminia, almost decided to go to the E.R.

Now I'm talking in general, I know that in this thread we aren't talking about those T's, but still, despite the fact that they aren't OW, I wouldn't love the idea of a little children too near one and/or bitten by one of those -- I'm talking about pain and nothing else, of course.

Last edited:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Buy a young GBB for you and your son to watch grow, and then set him up a tank of Madagascar Hissing roaches as pets to handle. That's what I ended up doing for my daughter, and I don't regret it. We may look into Jumping Spiders, too, since they are less fragile, seem to enjoy being handled and are cute as the dickens. We had started with a B. Albo as a pet, and changed our minds about handling when we read more about accidents, and I saw how the little guy was scared to climb on my hand. We now have 5 Ts and will probably get more. Even without being handled, they are wonderful pets with their own personalities. They've taught us both so much about spiders, husbandry, and the value of being patient. :)

Last edited:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
not to mention how even mild effects such as spasms can last for days or weeks. who wants to see their child suffer from spasms and chest pains for days or weeks when you could of avoided it by simply not handling them?
You sure you're not talking about bees? :) I believe they cause some of the highest death rates of all animals. Granted, that's only with people who are not careful or unlucky enough to fall into a hive and/or are allergic.
Nope, that's not even close. Not even for the most potent species...and the op is talking NW...effects of which are very mild...like take a benedryl because it is itchy.

Tarantula venom is totally different than many snake venoms.
Some venomous animals, that is very true, however tarantula venom isn't in this category...especially the NW species talked about in this thread. Their urticating hairs are more dangerous than their venom....as is the mechanical damage from the large fangs
Actually, just like spiders, different species of snakes have different types of venom. Elapids (cobra species) attack the nervous system. Most viper species (this includes rattlesnakes, moccasins and copperheads) attacks tissue. Some species (usually certain vipers) have venom that does both. I used to own snakes, and I volunteered a couple years with a zoo. :)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Are you implying we're all old and salty keepers who don't know how to have fun? You're double my age old man. ;)

Militant attitude.. get real. Some people were sarcastic and that's as far as it went.

Handling not a good thing. It won't ever be. It stresses the animal. There's always a chance of injury, to yourself or to the spider. It needs to leave this hobby. It's a shame tv shows and the internet see handling as the only aspect of the hobby.
You're 21?