GBB versus Pink zebra tarantula vs GBB

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
I love the Mexican Beauty but read some negative reviews on its temperament. I also am considering the GBB and the pink zebra. Because my son is 4, he would likely get tired of it so I need something that I want but at the same time something docile, not to skittish, and able to be handled so that he can have a good first experience and not get bitten and so that my husband won't leave me! Lol. Also, I am a big animal lover and currently have 2 giant African Millipedes, a ferret, and a leopard tortoise so I have some experience in importance of husbandry.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Thing is- none of them, if you want to handle that is, there is no species of tarantula that can/should be handled safely not only for the child/yourself but the animal, that's why people are being sarcastic, they get it alot

Gossamer

Arachnopeon
First off, I would not recommend getting a tarantula if your sole purpose is to handle it. There is a reason you're getting a lot of negative responses to this post. Tarantulas are observational pets, and they do not enjoy handling. If you so much as breathe on the T, you will scare it - all Ts are 'skittish' in this regard.

There are two things you absolutely cannot guarantee: 1. The tarantula will not bite (or flick hairs, for that matter) and 2. Your son will not fling and hurt it if it makes any sudden movements, even if it isn't a bite. I can only see this ending badly, especially for the animal. As an animal lover to another animal lover, I would seriously re-think this decision. There are countless examples of T's being flung to their death because of inexperienced handling. I think everyone here would like to avoid that as much as possible.

If you want a 'cool exotic' pet to be handled, may I suggest a reptile? Snake, lizard, etc.

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Some online sites that sell tarantulas compare the handle ability of different trantula species. My son is fascinated by tarantulas and I find them beautiful. I did not plan to handle them off and but I was hoping that he could hold it once or twice. Anyway, I agree that it would be terrible if the animal were to get injured I would be really upset with myself, so I will cross this idea out at least until he's a teenager. Thanks again!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
You’ll have to forgive the peanut gallery... it’s early and they probably haven’t taken their meds yet.

First off, everyone here will tell you not to handle the T’s, even the ones that are classically classified as docile enough to handle. I’m in the no-handle camp as well, but minus the militant attitude. It’s your animal and if you’re OK with the risks to you and the T from handling, that’s your choice. Anyway, I guess the first question is... are you adamant about handling?

If the answer is yes, then you definitely don’t want the GBB (they aren’t usually aggressive but are very quick, so more prone to escape or injury if handled). Between the other two, I would say the Pink Zebra would be considered the more docile.

If you decide against handling, I would then say go for the GBB. They are beautiful, great eaters, and make awesome webbing.

Good luck!

cold blood

Staff member
Lots of sarcasm on this thread
this is because most of us do not believe in handling tarantulas. most bites come as a direct result of handling, and most often with specimens deemed docile.

IMO teaching a kid about ts by handling is like teaching a kid how to drive by teaching him to do doughnuts....exactly the opposite thing you want him/her do be doing.

Think of them like fish, as observational pets....want to hold something, get a mammal, or maybe a reptile.

The pink zebra beauty....E. camp...is a typically docile species and would be a good choice for a first....as would B. albopilosum, G. pulchripes, G. pulchra or a Euthalus sp.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You’ll have to forgive the peanut gallery... it’s early and they probably haven’t taken their meds yet.

First off, everyone here will tell you not to handle the T’s, even the ones that are classically classified as docile enough to handle. I’m in the no-handle camp as well, but minus the militant attitude. It’s your animal and if you’re OK with the risks to you and the T from handling, that’s your choice. Anyway, I guess the first question is... are you adamant about handling?

If the answer is yes, then you definitely don’t want the GBB (they aren’t usually aggressive but are very quick, so more prone to escape or injury if handled). Between the other two, I would say the Pink Zebra would be considered the more docile.

If you decide against handling, I would then say go for the GBB. They are beautiful, great eaters, and make awesome webbing.

Good luck!
Are you implying we're all old and salty keepers who don't know how to have fun? You're double my age old man. ;)

Militant attitude.. get real. Some people were sarcastic and that's as far as it went.

Handling not a good thing. It won't ever be. It stresses the animal. There's always a chance of injury, to yourself or to the spider. It needs to leave this hobby. It's a shame tv shows and the internet see handling as the only aspect of the hobby.

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
Thanks Grossamer. you brought up a lot of good points. I guess what I was hoping and that the pet would be my pet and that my son would be able to touch it just once or twice. I am ok with not handling the tarantula. I know that my son would probably get bored with it so it would mostly be my pet. I've been doing research online and bought a trantula book that I am reading. I don't want a trantula that has strict humidity requirements and I would find that stressful.

Gossamer

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Some online sites that sell tarantulas compare the handle ability of different trantula species. My son is fascinated by tarantulas and I find them beautiful. I did not plan to handle them off and but I was hoping that he could hold it once or twice. Anyway, I agree that it would be terrible if the animal were to get injured I would be really upset with myself, so I will cross this idea out at least until he's a teenager. Thanks again!
No worries, thank you for being so receptive :) there's a lot of people who will insist on getting the T anyway, and those are usually the ones unprepared for what they're getting themselves into.

I agree with @Nightshady, if you're good with not handling but want something that's super cool to watch hunt and grow, the GBB, or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, is a great choice. They're hardy and more forgiving of mistakes with husbandry. I think your son will be very interested in watching it roam and jump on its prey. They have great appetites, and are more active than a PZB. Of course, anything from feeding, maintenance, and handling I would set strict rules with your son that he must be under adult supervision when interacting with the tarantula. They have a beautiful colouring and grows relatively fast.

However, if at some point, you would like to hold the T, the Pink Zebra Beauty, or eupalaestrus campestratus, would be the better choice. This is one you CAN handle, if you so wish. Near the ground, preferably on something soft like carpet. But I would advise against your son handling it until he is older. Even I flinch sometimes when it jumps towards the water dish as I'm refilling it. It's just instinct, and you can't predict things like that. Mine is a great eater, and has never kicked hairs at me once. I've only handled her once from moving it to the shipping vial to it's enclosure, so I can't speak about biting. But I do all rehousing near the ground, just in case. She's a very docile and sweet, but even then I wouldn't risk it with letting my friends hold her, let alone younger children. Grows very slowly, but has a really nice long life span (if female) to make up for that.

There are plenty of husbandry tips on the forum. Humidity is a myth. Just keep a nice full water dish. Anyway, there's plenty of info on stuff like that and beginner tarantulas to get. Happy reading :)

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Are you implying we're all old and salty keepers who don't know how to have fun? You're double my age old man. ;)

Militant attitude.. get real. Some people were sarcastic and that's as far as it went.

Handling not a good thing. It won't ever be. It stresses the animal. There's always a chance of injury, to yourself or to the spider. It needs to leave this hobby. It's a shame tv shows and the internet see handling as the only aspect of the hobby.
You don’t have to tell me that you’re just a kid; it’s readily apparent. You also don’t have to tell me that it’s not a good idea to handle T’s.

There’s a mature and respectful way to help and educate people, so that they will be responsive to your point of view. Snark and sarcasm generally have the opposite effect. I’m sure you will come to understand this as you mature.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You don’t have to tell me that you’re just a kid; it’s readily apparent. You also don’t have to tell me that it’s not a good idea to handle T’s.

There’s a mature and respectful way to help and educate people, so that they will be responsive to your point of view. Snark and sarcasm generally have the opposite effect. I’m sure you will come to understand this as you mature.
I was joking. Perhaps too advanced for your sense of humor. :troll:

I know. You clearly said you don't handle in your post.

You also said a bunch of other stuff about the members here. Stuff I didn't agree with.

You don't have to tell me how to help others. I've done my share, thanks.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron

WAIT I thought you were really old what now I feel terrible !

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
@Nightshady I come off as a kid, huh.
Heh... don’t take it personally.

I know you’re extremely knowledgeable about T’s, and your undoubtedly a fantastic resource for this forum.

My point about the sarcasm and disrespect is still accurate though. You say you have the best interest of T’s at heart? See how the OP responded to Gossamer versus how she responded to the first few responses. One way was clearly effective to get a point across and one had the opposite effect.

Something to think about. Cheers.