1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GBB sling

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Prowelder96, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Prowelder96

Prowelder96 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey guys I know I post a lot but I thought I would share my new specimen along with a situation that is up for discussion. I bought a 3/4 inch GBB sling from netbug.net (they are fantastic by the way) anyway I got it brought it home, went into the new enclosure, waited a good while as we all know to let it settle in, these things hit prey like tanks, I’ve had this species before and I know how good of eaters they are, dropped in an appropriate sized mealworm, showed no interest what so ever. This mealworm was also much smaller than the sling itself so I don’t think fear was a factor, I even cut it up and tried to offer it, no interest, I do remember the glowing patch on the abdomen with the slings, but I don’t remember much, I know my old sling molted right after that, so premolt? Maybe, maybe not, open for anyone’s thoughts on it. Picture of the little guy or girl also included. It has corkbark leaned at a 45 degree angle as well for it to Web to. I just took it out to see if it would help in feeding and to get a better picture. 7E53BEE4-9BD4-42D9-86BF-2D163B8A85D1.jpeg

2. Aleetist

Aleetist Arachnosquire Active Member

PNW
    I know any time my GBB doesn't immediately shove something into it's greedy little face that it is in pre-molt, probably the same for this gal. I think the normal stuff of just waiting a few days to a week then trying to offer again (maybe it's stressed?) would be the best thing. Then if it doesn't eat it's a really good chance the shipping and everything else has put it into pre-molt, I know that happens to a lot of my shipped slings. My GBB sling keeps her shiny patch all the time, I think that's normal at that size and they lose it as they grow. Good luck with your new little spider :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

How long did you leave the mealworm pieces in? I give slings a day or two with pre-killed before I remove it.

Your sling is also quite plump, so it very well could just be full.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

A refusing GBB sling is almost certainly in pre molt or full, as mentioned your sling looks nice and plump...no need to worry.

As a side note, you shall add a small piece of wood it can hide under and web up, looks pretty barren in there.

5. Prowelder96

I left the mealworm in there for about a day and a half then removed it, and I have a small cork bark round I put in and lean it against the wall of the enclosure, I just took it out for that picture.

She’s a little hair kicker too lol, I was trying to gently nudge her into the enclosure and she was kicking like crazy, I definitely love this species, so happy to have one again. Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  6. aphono

aphono Arachnoknight Active Member

For this species there's never a need to mist/moisten if a filled water dish is present. Mine lose their appetites if it's too wet/"humid". Also usually their feeding response is stronger once there's webbing.

As every one said, abdomen looks great, possible early premolt. At that size abdomen it could easily go 2 weeks or more without eating anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Prowelder96

thanks you guys are always super helpful

8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I would also add some anchor points for webbing.

9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Your GBB isn't eating because satiety has been reached.

Read up more about T husbandry/behavior and such. It will lessen your concerns.

10. Nightstalker47

Both of mine are housed with nothing more then some bark, they have still webbed extensively...you can add fake plants if you please but you dont need too. I see this mentioned as a necessity pretty often.

Right after the rehouse.
    [​IMG]
    Right now, she has webbed up the other corners as well.
    20181014_172251.jpg

11. viper69

I've experimented with a few as slings and juvi. This species, like some others, will make their own home even if they don't have structures to build upon other than walls. Obviously not ideal, and not something I'd recommend. I only say this because sometimes people order stuff w/out doing research and have nothing to drop in, and then get worried, and post w/their questions.

They are quite the engineers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nightstalker47

I agree, they should always have some form of a hide/cover though...as that's where they start to web most IME, they will expand from there no matter what the rest of the enclosure looks like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. viper69

they all do this, till it's a cloud haha, like incei, Avic (often, not always), balfouri...