GBB Sling Not Eating

James J Levenson III

Arachnopeon
I see these questons a lot on websites ...but I've done a lot of looking around the past few months and have yet to find anything referencing a situation quite like this. I got a GBB sling back in March. It molted one time and stopped eating. He last ate 168 days ago, and has not gained any size to his abdomen. Looks healthy otherwise, already 2 molts behind a GBB sling I picked up in September. Any ideas as to what I can do if anything?

Last edited:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
gbb arboreal now lol? but in all seriousness your spider needs more floor space than height for climbing and it sounds like more premolt or just fasting

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Some individuals are just slow growers, there's a bunch in every sac...nothing to be worried about.

I agree it could use more room.

James J Levenson III

Arachnopeon
Some individuals are just slow growers, there's a bunch in every sac...nothing to be worried about.

I agree it could use more room.
Sounds good. I had it in a larger enclosure but when the feeding response stopped I was looking for anything to help it. Just one of the random things I tries was reducing the amount of space it had. Thought it might have helped but nothing changed.

I'll wait him out and move him back to his original enclosure. Hopefully it's just a slow grower and not some horrible parasite lol.

Thank you both for the help.

gbb arboreal now lol? but in all seriousness your spider needs more floor space than height for climbing and it sounds like more premolt or just fasting
Lol fair enough, yeah it was just something I was trying in hopes of getting a feeding response again. I'll move him back to his old enclosure and try to wait him out. It had just been so long, I started to get worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
GBB slings are kinda semi arboreal, right? Mine has barely touched the substrate since I first put it in the enclosure 2 month ago. It likes to hang out on a web it's built between a leaf and the side of the enclosure.

James J Levenson III

Arachnopeon
GBB slings are kinda semi arboreal, right? Mine has barely touched the substrate since I first put it in the enclosure 2 month ago. It likes to hang out on a web it's built between a leaf and the side of the enclosure.
That's what I was to understand. Mine never comea down off the little stick and leaves in it's enclosure.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
semi arboreal is a word of trickery, if you treat it like any other terrestrial with just extra head room it will be fine. anyways I don't think that T wants to eat it is very fat, obese T. its likely fasting, and molt rate is pretty variable.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
GBB slings are kinda semi arboreal, right?
Semi-arboreal is an iffy description tbh. They're terrestrial as far as I'm concerned, despite their proclivity for webbing all over the shop they stay relatively close to the ground and require a good amount of floor space.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My GBB sling has not touched the floor in either of its enclosures... it has webbed on top of its decorations and stays up there.

OP, your sling is just FULL. Lol