GBB sling here Tuesday Opinions needed

SpyderRookie

Arachnopeon
Hey everybody I have a 2cm GBB sling from TSS that will be here Tuesday. I'm setting up his/her home as we speak but I want to make sure before I finish. Its a 16oz relish jar would that be good for the sling for awhile. Also how much sub should I put inside. I read they are tree dwellers, but somethings come to the ground I'm also thinking about putting a twig inside of there for it to web onto. Does all of this sound good or is it too much for a sling? {D

Thanks in advance

synic

Arachnosquire
Do you have a picture of that relish jar? Seems like it'd be tough to get air holes small enough in that metal lid...

I'm no expert or anything, but if yours is anything like mine, he won't spend much time on the substrate. He'll climb that twig and make a web and spend his time in that.

As people have told me before, the twig will probably get mold on it. Something plastic would probably be better.

lord lionheart

Arachnopeon
Hey everybody I have a 2cm GBB sling from TSS that will be here Tuesday. I'm setting up his/her home as we speak but I want to make sure before I finish. Its a 16oz relish jar would that be good for the sling for awhile. Also how much sub should I put inside. I read they are tree dwellers, but somethings come to the ground I'm also thinking about putting a twig inside of there for it to web onto. Does all of this sound good or is it too much for a sling? {D

Thanks in advance
I got one about the same size ( 3/4") about 2 weeks ago. That 16 oz jar will probably be way too big. I put mine in some tupperware that's about the size of a baby food jar, and it's still got plenty of space. You'll see how small it is when it arrives. I have pics if you click on the images under my name. I read something on here about the GBB once being classed as an Avicularia species and then re-classified. I hope someone can comment on that. I'm pretty sure they're not arboreal???? Maybe semi-arboreal. I can tell you that the GBB is my favorite so far. Even though it's only a tiny sling it moves around a lot, has a voracious appetite, pretty colors for a sling and has webbed plenty. Great choice IMHO................... wish I could say the same about the rest of my choices, but it's early days

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Thanks in advance
Trust me, if your GBB is anything like mine, and why shouldn't it be, no matter what you put in the enclosure, it will be fair game for webbing - but GBBs are such consummate interior decorators they don't really need accessories to accessorize. When my GBB was the size of yours I had him in a plastic jar with air-holes melted into the upper curve of the jar. The night after I housed him he created webbing that draped downward from each airhole, meeting in the middle and forming a carpet over the entire surface of the substrate, including the water dish. They reminded me of the inflatable rubber slides that passengers use to escape airplane mishaps.

Here's the silken palace Honeybee's created for himself in his current lair - again, nothing in there but substrate and a water dish. It's like he's created a one-bedroom bungalow with a patio and a jacuzzi!

Get back to us with pics of what your GBB comes up with!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a pic of one when I first got him:

You can kind of see the size of the container, roughly about baseball sized. He webbed up the top of it and never set foot on the sub unless I chased him down there. Ordinarily, he'd just run under the leaves, always on his webbing.

For a tiny sling, 16 oz may be a bit oversized....

Edit: I just checked his old container, it was about 16 oz in volume :rolleyes:

SpyderRookie

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info everyone. And I will definitely post pics of what he does and what container I went with.

Trust me, if your GBB is anything like mine, and why shouldn't it be, no matter what you put in the enclosure, it will be fair game for webbing - but GBBs are such consummate interior decorators they don't really need accessories to accessorize. When my GBB was the size of yours I had him in a plastic jar with air-holes melted into the upper curve of the jar. The night after I housed him he created webbing that draped downward from each airhole, meeting in the middle and forming a carpet over the entire surface of the substrate, including the water dish. They reminded me of the inflatable rubber slides that passengers use to escape airplane mishaps.

Here's the silken palace Honeybee's created for himself in his current lair - again, nothing in there but substrate and a water dish. It's like he's created a one-bedroom bungalow with a patio and a jacuzzi!

Get back to us with pics of what your GBB comes up with!

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

With a container so small how do you get him water. I guess just a light misting right?

Here's a pic of one when I first got him:

You can kind of see the size of the container, roughly about baseball sized. He webbed up the top of it and never set foot on the sub unless I chased him down there. Ordinarily, he'd just run under the leaves, always on his webbing.

For a tiny sling, 16 oz may be a bit oversized....

Edit: I just checked his old container, it was about 16 oz in volume :rolleyes:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, just a light spray on one side, he wasn't too crazy about the act but I'd catch him drinking every so often.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure it will be. I love their look as slings, I think I even prefer it to their adult coloration. Interestly, he wasn't a big webber when I first got him. It took a couple of molts before he began to web. Even still, he never went down to the sub, always preferring to be in the leaves.

lord lionheart

Arachnopeon
I haven't misted mine. The container is so small I don't see how I could mist without getting everything, including the spider wet. From what I've read I'm not a fan of misting, but I'm sure there's lots of opinions on that?! I read slings get enough moisture from their food to start with. I have however wetted the substrate with a teaspoon of water every week, just to provide water and humidity so the sling doesn't dessicate..................... the caveat is I'm a complete beginner, but the sling is still alive and eating well, so far, so good.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't overthink it too much. What I have noticed, they will drink from drops on their web and from the walls. They rarely go to the sub though Ts can get moisture out of substrate. To make it easy for my slings, I try to get some drops in their webbing, just in case they want to drink. And yeah, they can get moisture from their prey as well.

Just for grins, here's my new female GBB's enclosure:

She's back in her lair behind the bush munching on a cricket she just caught

Over time, she'll continue to lay down webbing upon webbing :D

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love the way even the tiniest GBB sling will make a massive effort to web up everything almost immediately!

You've gotta get pics of your new one when it arrives :D

SpyderRookie

Arachnopeon
I plan to I just set up a photo bucket account. So I'll post late Tuesday night.

I love the way even the tiniest GBB sling will make a massive effort to web up everything almost immediately!

You've gotta get pics of your new one when it arrives :D

Mez

Arachnoknight
If TSS send it in a deli, it would even be fine in that, they'll prolly send it in a vial, though.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah honestly, as others have said, whatever kind of enclosure, whatever kind of substrate or decor, they're gonna web over all of it and make it their own.

Mine is in a 5 gallon with two levels and a ton of little branches for it to climb on and it uses every bit of the enclosure. Its all covered with webbing and tunnels and whatnot.

They like it dry, so just provide a water dish (and good luck keeping web off of it).

Mine grew pretty quick up to about 4" and then slowed down considerably. They eat like crazy. For such a "docile" T (I've handled mine plenty with no problems) they are ravenous when it comes to food.