GBB sling fall

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
My 1 and half inch sling escaped from the container when I was trying to refill the waterbowl, It fell from the table. Will it be okay? I see no bleeding and it took a superworm after. She fell on carpet and like 2-3 ruler length I'm worried :(
Edit* Could a Mod remove the extra thread I made in Tarantula Chat wrong place :/

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My 1 and half inch sling escaped from the container when I was trying to refill the waterbowl, It fell from the table. Will it be okay? I see no bleeding and it took a superworm after. She fell on carpet and like 2-3 ruler length I'm worried :(
Slings aren't as vulnerable to falls as adults. If it's not bleeding or showing signs of distress, it may be fine.

The only thing you can do is wait and see. (Keep the water dish full.)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Your sling will likely be more than fine. Now you just know to be a little more careful when doing maintenance, GBBs are -quick- little spiders when they want to be.

Also if you want a mod to remove your thread the quickest way to accomplish that is by reporting the thread you want deleted and telling them you made a double post after putting your thread in the wrong sub-forum. There aren't enough of them to peruse every single thread or response.

Good luck to your little T and as advised, keep the water dish full.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In point of fact no one knows if it will be ok. It may die, it may not. However, it's encouraging that it's eating.

As this is a fast species, and you had an escape.

I strongly suggest you do this on the floor. Someone on the board here who owns a few GBBs, said carpeting slows them down considerably. I haven't tried this with mine, it's an adult. No need to experiment with my T.

Alternatively you could do things in the bathtub provided you seal all exit points.

Frosteasu

Arachnopeon
In point of fact no one knows if it will be ok. It may die, it may not. However, it's encouraging that it's eating.

I strongly suggest you do this on the floor. Someone on the board here who owns a few GBBs, said carpeting slows them down considerably. I haven't tried this with mine, it's an adult. No need to experiment with my T.

Alternatively you could do things in the bathtub provided you seal all exit points.
I'll definitely do maintenance on the floor now

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

I've seen some people do maintenance in a large tupperware container. You set the enclosure inside, then if they zip out of the enclosure they typically slow or stop when they hit the wall of the tupperware container. Gives you a chance to put a catch cup over them.

Alternatively, if they are sitting somewhere out on the substrate or have a hole into their hide, you could put an appropriately sized catch cup over the T or the hole.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen some people do maintenance in a large tupperware container. You set the enclosure inside, then if they zip out of the enclosure they typically slow or stop when they hit the wall of the tupperware container. Gives you a chance to put a catch cup over them.

Alternatively, if they are sitting somewhere out on the substrate or have a hole into their hide, you could put an appropriately sized catch cup over the T or the hole.
I'm a bit confused, are you telling me, or the OP? I ask because you quoted my reply to the OP.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm a bit confused, are you telling me, or the OP? I ask because you quoted my reply to the OP.
I quoted your post because I was adding onto the list of possibilities for future maintenance that you had started. Quoting something isn't the same as directly responding to someone. I can quote Thomas Jefferson in a post discussing how the founding fathers disliked democracy, but I'm not talking to his ghost. Merely expounding on something he'd said.

Our two posts were relative to one another and it was your post that made me think of other potential solutions to OP's problems.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's another method people use during rehouse. They coat the wall of the container at the top a bit with olive oil. Buried deep within the archives of the forum this should be able to be found. A few years ago someone found the info, and used it with several of his irminia. They were unable to escape, and those that touched the olive oil, suffered no ill effects.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I quoted your post because I was adding onto the list of possibilities for future maintenance that you had started. Quoting something isn't the same as directly responding to someone. I can quote Thomas Jefferson in a post discussing how the founding fathers disliked democracy, but I'm not talking to his ghost. Merely expounding on something he'd said.

Our two posts were relative to one another and it was your post that made me think of other potential solutions to OP's problems.
There's a problem w/the above, I'm not a ghost ;) So it looks like you are talking to me.:cool:

Most people that quote some one on here are doing so because they are responding to that person specifically.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
There's a problem w/the above, I'm not a ghost ;) So it looks like you are talking to me.:cool:

Most people that quote some one on here are doing so because they are responding to that person specifically.
I'm not most people :pompous:

Sorry for the confusion, vipe! Typically when I am directly responding to someone I'll throw an "hey @user" in there. For example--

There's another method people use during rehouse. They coat the wall of the container at the top a bit with olive oil. Buried deep within the archives of the forum this should be able to be found. A few years ago someone found the info, and used it with several of his irminia. They were unable to escape, and those that touched the olive oil, suffered no ill effects.
@viper69 All I can think about is the Oil Slick trope in cartoons, movies, or television.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Could you not get the same effect with packing tape? Olive oil is a bitch to clean off.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Never tried either. Are you suggesting putting up tape that is sticky side out? If so, I'd never do that.
If you want to take your slings leg off, that would be a sure way to do it.
I can seem to recall someone saying in a thread that packing tape is too smooth for spiders to be able to grip it properly. I have no intentions of testing it, so don't take my word for it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want to take your slings leg off, that would be a sure way to do it.
I can seem to recall someone saying in a thread that packing tape is too smooth for spiders to be able to grip it properly. I have no intentions of testing it, so don't take my word for it
You may be right, but nature always has an exception. I wouldn't try packing tape. Oil does work.