GBB Sling Behavior and Rehousing Questions

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
I got this Greenbottle Blue sling about 5 days ago. The pet store has apparently kept it in its current enclosure since they got it. They weren't sure how long they had it, and said it has molted once? About yesterday however it began to climb and kinda press against the top of its enclosure... Does this mean it's too damp in there? Should I re-house it? This is where it has started to hang out in its current enclosure https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280921021186441226/621928355742351360/image0.jpg

It used to kinda hang out wherever when I first got it https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/594251788765626371/621114825518612480/image0.jpg

And this is what I'm considering re-housing it into (currently keeping baby crickets in the cup on the left) https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280921021186441226/621928378345455616/image0.jpg

This is my first tarantula and I really don't want to screw this up! I wanna make sure it lives to be an adult!

Phia

Arachnopeon
I'd go forward with the rehouse. GBB don't like it moist or wet AT ALL. It looks pretty wet in its current enclosure. They prefer bone dry substrate with a water dish! At that size I'd give it a bit of tightly packed sub, some safe fake plants to anchor to, and a bottle cap water dish for hydration.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
I'd go forward with the rehouse. GBB don't like it moist or wet AT ALL. It looks pretty wet in its current enclosure. They prefer bone dry substrate with a water dish! At that size I'd give it a bit of tightly packed sub, some safe fake plants to anchor to, and a bottle cap water dish for hydration.
Are there any other house hold items that would be safe to put in with it for an anchor point? I don't have a fake plant as of this moment, could I use another plastic object instead for it to use as an anchor point?

Hey I just moved my T into a new container, the old one was seriously soaked at the bottom and super damp when I ended up cleaning it out. I put in some spots where the T can anchor its web, and I put in a bottle cap water dish. Should I put more stuff in there? I don't want the T to get too stressed from being in a container that's too big. Do you guys think it'll be okay? It hasn't moved from the wall of the enclosure since I moved it in there about 10 minutes ago, should I coax it further in or just let it walk down on its own?

Picture of new enclosure: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280921021186441226/621957009817731072/image0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
How wet is the substrate right now? I'm not sure but from the color it seems pretty damp? This species donesn't like any moisture in sub so most likely that's reason why it's sitting on the wall.
For now, you could add a one or two fake leaves if you have them and give your sling some time in new home to see whether it adapts or hates it.

edit: I just noticed yourr spelling error. It's Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, not cyanopubescens. ^^

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
How wet is the substrate right now? I'm not sure but from the color it seems pretty damp? This species donesn't like any moisture in sub so most likely that's reason why it's sitting on the wall.
For now, you could add a one or two fake leaves if you have them and give your sling some time in new home to see whether it adapts or hates it.
I just took the substrate out of the bag, it's what the pet store said I could use but they could have been mistaken. I packed it down as best I could, the substrate felt a bit cold at most but it didn't stick to my finger like it was damp? I moved it out of its previous enclosure because the substrate seemed damp. It kept sticking to the top of its container so I decided to move it. I also currently don't have face leaves unfortunately at the moment...

This is the soil, I just took it out of the bag and put it into the container https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...FDNTECH6fZl3M6x__Zlxn2cj_XM9624oaAikBEALw_wcB

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I've never used that substrate but seems okay then, with time it will dry out and be perfectly fine for your small friend.
My C. cyaneopubescens came to me as 3-4cm sling and it did great on completely dry substrate with only a water dish.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
I've never used that substrate but seems okay then, with time it will dry out and be perfectly fine for your small friend.
My C. cyaneopubescens came to me as 3-4cm sling and it did great on completely dry substrate with only a water dish.
This is my first Tarantula, also that's how it was spelled on the container I bought it in from the pet shop xD I just know it's a Greenbottle Blue, I'm bad at the scientific names. Exotics Lair made me want a T of my own, I couldn't resist when I saw this sling in the store. I just wanna make sure I do this right, I want it to live to an adult!

Anthony Alan

Arachnopeon
This is my first Tarantula, also that's how it was spelled on the container I bought it in from the pet shop xD I just know it's a Greenbottle Blue, I'm bad at the scientific names. Exotics Lair made me want a T of my own, I couldn't resist when I saw this sling in the store. I just wanna make sure I do this right, I want it to live to an adult!
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens was my first tarantula too. The enclosure looks good, I wouldn’t put any more stuff in there. Don’t coax it further down. It’ll move down when it wants to.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hey I just moved my T into a new container, the old one was seriously soaked at the bottom and super damp when I ended up cleaning it out. I put in some spots where the T can anchor its web, and I put in a bottle cap water dish. Should I put more stuff in there? I don't want the T to get too stressed from being in a container that's too big. Do you guys think it'll be okay? It hasn't moved from the wall of the enclosure since I moved it in there about 10 minutes ago, should I coax it further in or just let it walk down on its own?

Picture of new enclosure: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280921021186441226/621957009817731072/image0.jpg
First of all, you can upload pictures here. Just click on the "Upload a file" button in the right-hand corner of the reply window. :)

Secondly, I'd give your little one at least anything it can hide under or behind. I always had a piece of cork bark leaning to the side of the enclosure, so mine could use it as a hide (especially in the beginning when there's no web) to hide behind/under.

I housed my GBB when she was little in a Ferrero Rocher box with more anchor points on the side of the enclosure that didn't open, so she could and would always retreat that way.

GBB_new enclosure.jpg

Last edited:

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Most prepackaged substrates are already moist or need to be soaked so they can expand (i.e. coco fiber). For the future you can buy a brick of dry cock fiber and use a cheese grater to shave off the sides. This will eliminate the soaking step.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
I ended up putting a tiny piece of plastic plant in there this morning. They have a bit of web attached to the plastic swords but they are still on the wall. They curled their legs up in a defensive position after I put the plant in and are still sitting stuck to the wall. Should I leave the plant in? It seemed like a good thing to crawl on/attach web to/hide behind, but it’s making me nervous by staying in that defensive posture.

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
It should be fine, leave enclosure as it is right now, your sling needs time to get used to its new home. Sometimes that takes few days to even few weeks.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
It should be fine, leave enclosure as it is right now, your sling needs time to get used to its new home. Sometimes that takes few days to even few weeks.
Okay! It should be okay to feed it tomorrow still right? I’ve been feeding it baby crickets, it’s taken an eaten all the ones I’ve given it so far in its old enclosure. I’ve just used tweezers to drop them in. I’ve been feeding it every other day.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
@PAHNKAPIE You can try, if it's not interested in eating then remove prey item and try another day. Usually optimal feeding schedule is twice a week for slings. C. cyaneopubescens aren't known for fasting but who knows what might happen if its belly gets too big.

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
@PAHNKAPIE You can try, if it's not interested in eating then remove prey item and try another day. Usually optimal feeding schedule is twice a week for slings. C. cyaneopubescens aren't known for fasting but who knows what might happen if its belly gets too big.
The pet store just told me they feed it every 2 to 3 days. When I looked it up online it seemed very hard to overfeed and it said slings eat a lot so they can grow out of their vulnerable state more quickly. The biggest risk it said to a fat T was if it falls and ruptures its abdomen. I dunno, I feel like a first time parent xD worrying over every little thing.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The pet store just told me they feed it every 2 to 3 days. When I looked it up online it seemed very hard to overfeed and it said slings eat a lot so they can grow out of their vulnerable state more quickly. The biggest risk it said to a fat T was if it falls and ruptures its abdomen. I dunno, I feel like a first time parent xD worrying over every little thing.
Welcome to T keeping. What I do for my heavy webbing species is to break apart a piece of cork bark with like a small hand saw and then stick the pieces up out of the substrate.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I ended up putting a tiny piece of plastic plant in there this morning. They have a bit of web attached to the plastic swords but they are still on the wall. They curled their legs up in a defensive position after I put the plant in and are still sitting stuck to the wall. Should I leave the plant in? It seemed like a good thing to crawl on/attach web to/hide behind, but it’s making me nervous by staying in that defensive posture.
That's not a defensive posture, it's just trying to acclimate and get its bearing. Keep calm and just leave it be. ;)

And don't be surprised if it doesn't want to eat at some point... that sling's abdomen looks quite plump and seemingly shiny, it could get into premoult soon.
As a sling, my GBB fasted for 3-4 weeks before moulting, while feeding her a small cricket 2-3 times a week before. This is how my little girl looked a week before her 3rd moult with me:
20180603_fat booty.jpg

PAHNKAPIE

Arachnopeon
That's not a defensive posture, it's just trying to acclimate and get its bearing. Keep calm and just leave it be. ;)

And don't be surprised if it doesn't want to eat at some point... that sling's abdomen looks quite plump and seemingly shiny, it could get into premoult soon.
As a sling, my GBB fasted for 3-4 weeks before moulting, while feeding her a small cricket 2-3 times a week before. This is how my little girl looked a week before her 3rd moult with me:
View attachment 320379
Thank you so much for the info! I thought they were defensive/scared because they have their legs tucked in. I have been feeding them frequently so they will grow out of this vulnerable state. Some spots online talked about that. It said in the wild slings eat like crazy so they can grow fast. I’ll go easier on the feeding once they get bigger. Exotics Lair on YouTube made me curious about the hobby. Then when I saw a GBB sling in the store it was just perfect, I love the colors grown ones have!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Are there any other house hold items that would be safe to put in with it for an anchor point? I don't have a fake plant as of this moment, could I use another plastic object instead for it to use as an anchor point?
You can use anything plastic, e.g., straws, disposable spoons, etc.. You only need two or three, it’ll do the rest.