GBB: overrated?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love my GBB. I'm currently on my third as the previous two both hooked out male on me. Each time, I was able to swap the newly matured male for a juvie and get a "do-over."

They're a lot of fun to watch and very aggressive feeders. The heavy webbing makes them stand out from the majority of my spiders, they're almost always visible, and their colors are stunning!

Of course, I don't consider the drive to be a deterrent. I recently drove close to four hours (round trip) to pick up a wild-caught native trapdoor spider that I haven't seen since I brought it home - and I knew that would be the case because I've kept trapdoors before. Basically, it's just a box of dirt. At least with the GBB you'll have something to show (that you can actually see) for your investment!

While my GBB is not my favorite spider, I'd place it solidly in my top five "must have" spiders.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I like em. I'm not sure that they're overrated as much as they're overpriced in some places. Happy that I lucked out in the sling lottery and got a female the first time out.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I like em. I'm not sure that they're overrated as much as they're overpriced in some places. Happy that I lucked out in the sling lottery and got a female the first time out.
$100 CAD isn't too bad for a juvenile female

The Hamorii I am getting for sure. But you guys are putting up a great case to also get the GBB...

While y'all are here, what percentage would you say of slings turn out female? Is it close to 50%?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
$100 CAD isn't too bad for a juvenile female

The Hamorii I am getting for sure. But you guys are putting up a great case to also get the GBB...

While y'all are here, what percentage would you say of slings turn out female? Is it close to 50%?
In Sweden you can buy adult female for 70 dollar!;)

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Hard to know, you need to test hundreds of egg sacs to make out a good assumption.
Or just raise tons of slings. You're right though, we should do some mass poll for all forum users sling turnouts or something. This seems like a question that begs to be answered. Breeders cant really keep track because of the sheer number of babies

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What i wanted to say to you by this is that you have to move to Sweden!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe they have increased in price last couple of years?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah the hamorii seems like it'd be fun. It was my original choice for a first T, before I ended up going crazy and getting 9 totally not "beginner friendly" spiders immediately instead lmao
My second T ever (as a young teen, mind you) was an Orange Bob lol

Almost everything you’d want in a tarantula.
Orrr - depending on who you ask - nothing you'd want in a tarantula, except that it IS a tarantula :rofl:

If you make me end up getting both, so help me God
Both? You cannot leave the dear LP behind!!

Basically, it's just a box of dirt.
1547074246671.jpg

Breeders cant really keep track because of the sheer number of babies
Unless we are keeping them all for our Orange Bob Army :D

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My opinion on GBB. Overrated, but it is one T. that people should have in their collection.

It's all opinion based whether you want one or not. I wouldn't let anyone say yes or no to buying a T. whether overrated or not. But I would just make sure that the pricing is fair. So for me if the price is fair than buy it. It isn't a yes or no because of what people think. But rather if it is worth my money.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For me, the most fun tarantulas are those that both are in there burrows and out in the open, or those that are making intresting burrow constructions. Making it feel like you observing the animal in the wild. I like the Ephebopus genus for this matter. But i also likes Phormictopus cancerides. Neigher of those burrowed as adults in my care. But they have other things that makes me like them. Feedingresponse, good looks and general bad attitudes, that makes them stand out a little from other NW. But all tarantulas have their pros and cons. Gbb have their pros, and i like all tarantulas for diffrent reasons, but i cant say they are among my favourites.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Biologically it should be close to 50%, yes. Their sex determination is similar to ours, where females have two copies of each X chromosome (the number of which is variable by species), and males have one copy of each X chromosome (opposed to XX and XY for sex in humans).

All other factors being equal it's a 50% chance, but there could be other factors. Anecdotally some species seem to have higher rates of males and vice versa, but nothing supported by published research as far as I know.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well I picked up my first gbb a month or so ago. It is about one inch or so. I held off for years getting one cus I was so sick of hearing about them that I was less attracted to them. I am just weird like that. When everyone talks about pokies amd pamphobeteus, I would rather have somethimg less popular I guess. Just how I click. If I end up liking it, i will get another one if it isn't a fembot. I think Hamori is a must have. I picked up a half-inch sling a few years back. It is still small. They grow so slow and the gbb will help you cope with the hamori growth rate. [QUOTE/]

Last edited by a moderator:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Just get the gbb. I don't remember ever regretting buying any t. They can't be as famous as they are for no reason. Jyst my 2 cents.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Lame. Why is everyone so finicky about everything on here? We're all weirdos keeping boxes of spiders just tell me to buy it or not I clearly can't make up my own mind. I don't have time to soul search on if this is the "right spider to put in a box in my house for me"

Keep it simple, stupid
I already told you to get both! :)

Phoneutria55

Arachnopeon
Not rated highly enough imo - fairly moderate price compared to other colorful T's, easily available, fairly active (mine is often found sitting on the glass, roaming, or just perching on decorations), beautiful webs, and that gorgeous color. I think they're a must-have.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
GBB-

Common? Yes
Worth the trip? absolutely

Overrated? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! anything but overrated, in my opinion they are very underrated.

If you have a chance to get a female L. parahybana, you owe it to yourself to get both.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I already have all 3 of those:) A wonderful little trio, if you ask me;)

But seriously though, GBBs are certainly not overrated. If you have a confirmed female available for a good price, take it. Sometimes it takes me over 1.5 hours just to get to work in the morning (I live in Los Angeles, and would KILL for some Canadian wilderness.... haha).

As someone mentioned early on, G. pulchra should take the title of overrated T if you ask me. And G. porteri might as well be a cactus.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Biologically it should be close to 50%, yes. Their sex determination is similar to ours, where females have two copies of each X chromosome (the number of which is variable by species), and males have one copy of each X chromosome (opposed to XX and XY for sex in humans).

All other factors being equal it's a 50% chance, but there could be other factors. Anecdotally some species seem to have higher rates of males and vice versa, but nothing supported by published research as far as I know.
I would go 60-40in favour for males, but i am not sure. Just an assumption. I base this on yields from eggsacks and from a biological point of view. Males lives shorter than females and many are eaten in mating process, before insertation, and when they roam around. Females are more safe inside their burrows. But as said, im no arachnologist. I just believe here

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Why don't you just get a spider that you want?
Everyone on here will have a different opinion...