GBB: overrated?

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Simple thread. I am being offered a juvenile female GBB at a decent price, but it's a far drive and while the price is decent for a female GBB it's still kinda pricey.

Somebody convince me they are a must have, or alternatively convince me they are overrated pls

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
They're beautiful but for me they're a bit overrated. Since you haven't had an active webber it might be worth it but I think right now you should wait and raise the ones you have before going into anything else.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
They're beautiful but for me they're a bit overrated. Since you haven't had an active webber it might be worth it but I think right now you should wait and raise the ones you have before going into anything else.
My opinion:
Not overrated.

Act different than almost every other NW terrestrial. Web up high, and use a hide down low, often visible, eat great, and have probably the nicest colours of any T. Seem to adapt to whatever kind of enclosure you give them.

My over-rated list would include the G Pulchra and the Homeomma chilensis. But not the GBB. Definitely a fav in almost every way.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
I guess it just depends on what you love in a species of T. I love beautiful colors and heavy webbers. GBB is both so its hands down a favorite for me.

Dman

Arachnosquire
I love GBB's and a beautiful T. to boot. How far is the drive? Depending on price and gas you could just order it and have it delivered.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I’m pretty much on board with @lostbrane. A very nice looking T if you’re into colorful, my taste has pretty much centered on black and subdued colored specimens. I have also moved away from how T’s look, to what they do. I’ll add that GBB’s are crazy eaters also, so that’s a plus. I have one, like it, but I wouldn’t buy another one. Actually, I wouldn’t drive anywhere, even locally, for a free one. Just no attraction for me anymore. However, my answer, and your question, is completely subjective.

Edit: Sorry for the double pic post, impatient fingers on the old tablet.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Overrated, they look much better as slings than they do as adults and I find N. incei and D. diamantinensis much more interesting to keep tbh.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I love GBB's and a beautiful T. to boot. How far is the drive? Depending on price and gas you could just order it and have it delivered.
The drive is a solid 1.5hrs. I drive a camry that is pretty good on gas, but none of the sites where I live currently have even slings.

I’m pretty much on board with @lostbrane. A very nice looking T if you’re into colorful, my taste has pretty much centered on black and subdued colored specimens. I have also moved away from how T’s look, to what they do. I’ll add that GBB’s are crazy eaters also, so that’s a plus. I have one, like it, but I wouldn’t buy another one. Actually, I wouldn’t drive anywhere, even locally, for a free one. Just no attraction for me anymore. However, my answer, and your question, is completely subjective.

Edit: Sorry for the double pic post, impatient fingers on the old tablet.
I definitely like T's with interesting behaviours over 8 legged potatoes, but how can you post that picture (twice) and not love that thing? Absolutely gorgeous T.

I definitely like heavy webbers and colourful T's, but as mentioned by Grym, there are many other options, such as the A. Metallica which I discovered today. Decisions decisions

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm in the overrated camp and would take an Avicularia metallica over them every day of the week.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno, they are not amongst my favourite tarantulas. But they are beutiful.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I'm in the overrated camp and would take an Avicularia metallica over them every day of the week.
Only problem with that is that it isn't readily available to me now, or possibly in general.

I'm in Canada, you see. Where we have 2 main suppliers and relatively not a whole lot of selection. Goodluck finding something at the petstore (only legal in half my province) that isn't B. Albo or avicavic.

But I might sleep on the GBB anyways and take my chance.

Nobody is convincing me strongly one way or the other yet.

The 2 other T's on my radar, all for the same price, are a 6" female LP, a 5 year old female B. Hamorii.

I have a 5" male LP so I could go with that to breed down the road.

Decisions, decisions.

The LP and GBB are same seller, the B. Hamorii is a much closer drive.

Wat do

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Only problem with that is that it isn't readily available to me now, or possibly in general.
I'm in Canada, you see. Where we have 2 main suppliers and relatively not a whole lot of selection.
I'm in Canada too, Southern Ontario.
I was hoping to have Avicularia metallica spiderlings, but my girl never laid an egg sac. Now, I have another mature male and I am waiting for her to moult. So, I might have some in the next few months... fingers crossed.
There is little to no demand for Lasiodora parahybana, so unless you have 2000 homes lined up, or a dealer willing to take them all, breeding that species is not a good idea.
The Brachypelma hamorii would be the best bet. They are becoming more and more scarce - even as spiderlings.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have one, like it, but I wouldn’t buy another one.
Exactly this.

Actually, I wouldn’t drive anywhere, even locally, for a free one.
Okay, I agreed I wouldn't *buy* another... but I do love driving... lol

The drive is a solid 1.5hrs
I have driven a lot farther for a lot less :rofl:
Don't let the drive sway you!

a 5 year old female B. Hamorii.
I call "Nuh uh!" on the age, but aside from that... I would choose this T over the GBB, hands down.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
I'm in Canada too, Southern Ontario.
I was hoping to have Avicularia metallica spiderlings, but my girl never laid an egg sac. Now, I have another mature male and I am waiting for her to moult. So, I might have some in the next few months... fingers crossed.
There is little to no demand for Lasiodora parahybana, so unless you have 2000 homes lined up, or a dealer willing to take them all, breeding that species is not a good idea.
The Brachypelma hamorii would be the best bet. They are becoming more and more scarce - even as spiderlings.
I am also is southern Ontario! Cheers! Where abouts are you? GTA?

Exactly this.

Okay, I agreed I wouldn't *buy* another... but I do love driving... lol

I have driven a lot farther for a lot less :rofl:
Don't let the drive sway you!

I call "Nuh uh!" on the age, but aside from that... I would choose this T over the GBB, hands down.
Yeah the hamorii seems like it'd be fun. It was my original choice for a first T, before I ended up going crazy and getting 9 totally not "beginner friendly" spiders immediately instead lmao

Minty

@londontarantulas
Not overrated in my opinion. Definitely in my top three species. Almost everything you’d want in a tarantula.

spodermin

Arachnosquire
Not overrated in my opinion. Definitely in my top three species. Almost everything you’d want in a tarantula.
Just when I decide the Hamorii seems like the best choice.

If you make me end up getting both, so help me God

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Definitely on my wishlist, but I'm taking it slow with collecting. They are interesting tarantulas... very unique overall. Watching my C. versi web up her enclosure was awesome, and she's arguably a cooler display T than my terrestrials. I can imagine the GBB web would be awesome on display too.

The hamorii and LP are a bit more boring... LP is cool if you want a giant spider someday. I wouldn't personally get the hamorii, but that's because I have an albo that I already enjoy.