GBB as beginner species

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
Ive bought a GBB as my first tarantula and im excited to receive it. However, im a bit worried about their quickness, is there a way to counteract this.

Ant

Arachnopeon
Bit late to be worrying about their quickness now! How do you mean "counteract" it? What size T have you bought?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
eh, you can´t counteract their speed, but I think you worry too much. GBB is a good choice for a first T and unless you are trying to handle it or something along those lines you should be fine.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
Bit late to be worrying about their quickness now! How do you mean "counteract" it? What size T have you bought?
I ordered a juvenile. By counteract i mean a way to negate their speed maybe a higher enclosure,wider enclosure or anything like that

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
eh, you can´t counteract their speed, but I think you worry too much. GBB is a good choice for a first T and unless you are trying to handle it or something along those lines you should be fine.
Naw i dont want to handle it

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
As long as you're not planning to handle the GBB then there shouldn't be any issues, provide anchor points for webbing, a suitable sized enclosure, a water dish, then you're good to go - some pictures of the spider and enclosure would be helpful - enjoy!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
If I get what you mean by "counteract" (I believe you mean deal with it), it's a matter of watching your T and understanding their particular reactions to stimuli. My GBB sling for instance, will retreat quickly at the first disturbance, e.g., opening her enclosure, then cautiously move up to investigate. When it determines there's something into which it may be able to sink its fangs, for instance anything, it moves in VERY quickly. Part of the beauty of this hobby is watching and studying the particularities of each specimen, and this can vary greatly in the same genus or species. Example being, mine has never tried to bolt from the enclosure, it always moves down into its web. Yours may try to move up and out. Summarizing, you're not going to counteract its speed, it will teach YOU how to react to it. Have fun watching your GBB, they're a hoot!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Will be fine. Just try not to spook it when it has settled in. Avoid disturbances like bumps on the enclosure. Open lid/door slowly. If it spooks then wait until it settles again before throwing in prey or filling water etc. This should halt the chances of it bolting.

Yes they are fast, but not as fast as most people make them out to be. You will get used to it with time. Always keep catch cups near by when doing spider maintanance.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ive bought a GBB as my first tarantula and im excited to receive it. However, im a bit worried about their quickness, is there a way to counteract this.
An oversized enclosure (make sure it can't escape through any ventilation holes) with ample anchor points will help. IME, once a GBB builds a web, it is more likely to retreat into its web than make a bid for freedom, but don't let your guard down:
  • Do not leave the lid open while you are not looking at it.
  • Always keep a catch cup handy, especially during rehousings.
  • You can also place the enclosure within a larger bin while doing feedings/maintenance. That way, if it does get out, you have another wall it must climb, giving you extra time to react.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
Thanks a lot all of you. I think its mostly down to my overthinking as its my first T. One more question, probably stupid but i couldn't find an answer, is it okay to feed the GBB one type of insect or will a variety benefit it?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
GBB was the first spider I had to transfer from one enclosure to another.
It rarely used it speed when doing this, it just kicked lots of hairs.

Ant

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot all of you. I think its mostly down to my overthinking as its my first T. One more question, probably stupid but i couldn't find an answer, is it okay to feed the GBB one type of insect or will a variety benefit it?
One feeder will be absolutely fine.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ive bought a GBB as my first tarantula and im excited to receive it.
Amazing Theraphosidae, and yes, for me is a 100% beginner-friendly one.

However, im a bit worried about their quickness, is there a way to counteract this.
Yes, of course, but ain't cheap: put a micro armed Drone made by DARPA under a fake leave, that device would intimidate the coloured bugger and his/her pure 'quarterback' bolts :troll:

Don't worry... in general they are pretty 'calmer' when full settled: offer a lot of stuff such pieces of wood, fake leaves etc and the 'GBB' will always be busy making something.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) is surely quick, but it’s leaning toward to skittish side. Instead of dashing to you, it will mostly dashing to it’s hide. Don’t get me wrong though, it is fast. You will know what I mean when you see it catching it’s prey. Oh yes you will.

7FA16F69-9C8E-4007-995A-8C948F1399BF.gif

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, they're fast...but they aren't really defensive at all, which is why they can generally male a fine beginner.

codicez

Arachnosquire
I also have 1 GBB juvenile...I'm new in this hobby so I can be called " Beginner " ...
Here is where I keep her.. is a 20x20x20 enclosure with front open... She mainly stay in her hide,behind all that web (she also molted in there) and when lights are off she climb on top of that corkBar as picture so I can pop the food for her there...When I wake up I found her at the end of the corkbar often on the right side...She is quite fast when has to take down prey,as soon cricket touch her web she jump on him... or when she has to run back to her hide...She runs back when I open the front door to refill water or when I make noise close to her.
I never saw her close to the dish wash or on the " ground " ....

Attachments