GBB aka Pet Rock aka Sling not eating, webbing and hardly moving

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I know many of you are going to say "piiiicccss!!!!" but
at the moment I do not have one. My gf prompted me to post while here at work
hoping I can get some clarity on what's going on with some brief descriptions (Will post pictures ASAP--end of day)

ALRIGHT!
So we got this 1" GBB from a shop located in Hollywood FL named Strictly Reptiles--along with a couple other T's.

At first we put the GBB in a tall 1 gallon container. She didn't move much, no webbing and no eating. We thought maybe the enclosure is too big so after 9-10 days we move her over to a small critter keeper with a little piece of wood for her to web around (Both tanks have loose coconut substate). The GBB has been there for about 4 days now.

The GBB still barely moves and doesn't web and won't eat. She's been nestled in the corner of her tank where I spray with water for a little over a day now. The T just seems straight up depressed

Temps are around 72-78 F and Humidity is within 35-43%.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Will have to wait for pictures because it simply could just be in a heavy premolt. Commented mostly for notifications when pictures get posted later.

At about 1" gbbs can be kept on dry sub with just a water dish

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
Will have to wait for pictures because it simply could just be in a heavy premolt. Commented mostly for notifications when pictures get posted later.

At about 1" gbbs can be kept on dry sub with just a water dish
It'll be up in approx. 2 hours... almost out of work! Thank you for staying posted.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A kritter keeper is way larger than I would ever put a 1" spider in. You would be better off using one of those 16 oz deli cups with a small piece of cork bark or a fake leaf for it to hide under and a water dish. Its possible that the spider is stressed from being in an enclosure that is too large and barren, which is why it just huddles in the corner.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
It'll be up in approx. 2 hours... almost out of work! Thank you for staying posted.
Will add a few more comments before the pictures just incase. Slings do well in smaller enclourses, gbbs you do want to give a little extra room though. I kept my 1" in a baseball display case from hobby lobby (if you have one of those around) which I believe is like 3 x3 x3. Give it plenty of anchor points (fake flowers, just the sticks from the fake leaves or flowers) they will travel upwards a bit but they tend to stick to the ground so a large vertical bark will not serve them much.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The GBB still barely moves and doesn't web and won't eat. She's been nestled in the corner of her tank where I spray with water for a little over a day now. The T just seems straight up depressed

Temps are around 72-78 F and Humidity is within 35-43%.
This a species that does best dry, stop misting it...there will always be an acclimation period after any rehouse. You need to be patient and give it time to settle.

GBBs do fine with extra space as slings, so no worry there. Humidity is inconsequential, measuring it is futile. Just make sure most of the sub is dry, and it has a water dish.

Welcome to the boards.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Thats a really large enclosure for a tarantula thats small. Also dont worry about measuring humidity for a GBB its a waste of time. My guess is that its stressed out from the two rehouses.

Try leaving prekilled prey for it to eat overnight. Often times that will get shy slings to eat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Alright guys, here you go! Thank you so much for your input so far. View attachment 278063 View attachment 278064 View attachment 278065 View attachment 278066
Add in more sub, and bury that cork down in a different position so your GBB can hide under it.

Honestly though, looking at your specimen...it doesn't look in great shape. Legs seem to all be curling slightly, could be the early signs of dehydration.

I would place it right next to a water source, a bottle cap filled with fresh water would be your best bet.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
While i don't like the idea of bothering your T again, but i would ditch the critter keeper. i have had an escape of a small sling out of one...

I would add a water dish and a lot more cover/anchor points.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Lots of issues, biggest one being the complete lack of a water dish. Go drink a bottle of water and give the cap (full) to the gbb.
Second gbbs do well with a lot of stuff to web up to, use a small piece of cork bark buried for a hide, not that big thing.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
This is how I have mine housed (only for another molt) couple fake flowers, few of just the "branches" from the flowers, a small piece of buried cork bark to make a hide (it doesn't use it), and a water dish (cap from the vial it was shipped in).

It has used all of the material to make its own webbing and it never touches the ground unless it is hunting. 20180614_174109.jpg

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
When they pull their legs in like that, that is a stress pose.

Your tarantula will probably feel more comfortable in a smaller enclosure, with lots of anchor points for webbing.

I have noticed that my GBBs are skittish and will be in stress pose like this for a few days, particularly after a rehouse.

Once your GBB is comfortable, they will web up a storm and it will be lovely to see. They are a lovely species to keep!

Welcome to the boards!

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
Alright this is the new enclosure.
The water cap was filled up, I’m aware metal may rust but it’s all I got for the moment. Tomorrow I’ll get a small bottle cap.

Any other suggestions? Should we feed a dead one today or wait until tomorrow?

Thank you all for your help, we are new to the craft and look forward in learning from you vets.

5CD8143C-E90D-4A45-87ED-1AB97B735A32.jpeg

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Alright this is the new enclosure.
The water cap was filled up, I’m aware metal may rust but it’s all I got for the moment. Tomorrow I’ll get a small bottle cap.

Any other suggestions? Should we feed a dead one today or wait until tomorrow?

Thank you all for your help, we are new to the craft and look forward in learning from you vets.

View attachment 278071
My 1" was capable of taking live small crickets down so depending on the feeders you have available, either do a small one or prekilled. Make sure that water dish stays full for now.

I would add in some anchor points for the webbing (fake leaves, sticks, flowers) it needs an area to attach its webbing.

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
My 1" was capable of taking live small crickets down so depending on the feeders you have available, either do a small one or prekilled. Make sure that water dish stays full for now.

I would add in some anchor points for the webbing (fake leaves, sticks, flowers) it needs an area to attach its webbing.
I’ll have to pick some up, with what I got this what I came up with

Thankfully I breed my own crickets so I got some near pinheads to feed it .

Thanks!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Given the fact you are concerned about it, i would say to just prekill something and leave it in over night, then there is nothing that can go wrong. A few more anchor points wouldn't hurt but looks much better to me.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Also, put the anchor points on the opposite side from the water dish, or life will get a little more interesting when it does decide to web ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
- I'd give the GBB a few more possiblities to hide that are not big and bulky because then the enclosure is full. I do not agree with people who told you to put it into something smaller - I think the first enclosure was way better in size. GBBs are usually active and make use of that space, they just need structures, like small (!!) pieces of bark and fake plants or sticks or whatever. It's big and bare that's bad. Big by itself is fine for GBBs. Since you've just rehouse it leave it be, though.

- I completely agree with @Nightstalker47 - it does not look too healthy right now. That's more than just a stress curl. If I have a somehow week or sick seeming tarantula I always feed prekilled. Do NOT feed pinheads. Those are too small to provide a real meal for your tarantula and the energy needed to catch them is more than your spider will get out of the meal for a tarantula as relatively large as yours. Give it a solid, but prekilled meal.

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

So far she has been on top of her water bowl and it's demeanor has changed completely. Seems much less stressed.
I had heard from so many people to spray the side of the cage to hydrate the GBB over a water bowl. I can't site the source
but I went off that inference.

I'm throwing in a leaf today at some point and left a dying cricket in the enclosure.

All-in-all I've noticed a significant difference between yesterday and today. Thanks everyone.
I'll update in a couple days.