GBB acting neuro?

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
So my GBB has started acting neurological lately. What could be going on? He seems to overact to stimuli of any kind.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its the season of flea treatment. Do you have any cats or dogs in your home that may have been treated recently?

Has there been any spraying of gardens nearby?

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
Flea products were applied a week ago but I don’t understand how that plays a factor. Trying to upload a video but having issues

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Flea products were applied a week ago but I don’t understand how that plays a factor. Trying to upload a video but having issues
They are designed to kill arachnids...tarantulas are arachnids. Those products have a clear correlation with specimens showing DKS symptoms as well, which seems to be the behavior you describe.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
To be honest your description is rather vague. Video would be good or some elaboration.

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
It seems he is exhibiting hyper esthetia. I cannot load a video

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Flea products were applied a week ago but I don’t understand how that plays a factor.
Agree. Once I've sealed with concrete (a la Italian Gangsters style of once) the burrows of one of my obligate burrowers T's, and the eight legged wasn't able anymore to come on the surface, and still today I don't understand how that played as a factor :troll:

Aside jokes, what I was able to get from your posts (again, without viewing a video, essentially for prove my theory) is that your spider seems (seems, eh... just a speculation) intoxicated.

Symptoms:

- a nothing and the spider over reacts

- can't anymore walk well - wals like a drunk, basically

- no more active webbing etc

Mithricat

Arachnosquire
It affects their nervous system, all arachnids are universally affected by chemicals like Fipronil and so do most insects. Certainly it is a possibility. What kind of products did you use, in what form and how possible is it that your spider might have come in contact?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The only way I know of to upload videos onto here is to post it to youtube first and then attach the link here.

For the sake of optimism (since, as others stated, hypersensitivity to stimulus is quite vague), did it molt prior to displaying this behavior? If it's just running smoothly from everything (not showing any shaky or jittery motions like in the video @spookyvibes provided), it might just be a normal personality change that can occur with molting. I've had tarantulas pull complete 180s with their personality after a molt.

Do the animals that were treated with flea treatment have access to the room your tarantula is in? What about the feeders? Do you wash your hands before doing anything in the tarantula enclosure?

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon

Is your GBB moving around kind of like this?
That is exactly it!!! Thank you!!

The only way I know of to upload videos onto here is to post it to youtube first and then attach the link here.

For the sake of optimism (since, as others stated, hypersensitivity to stimulus is quite vague), did it molt prior to displaying this behavior? If it's just running smoothly from everything (not showing any shaky or jittery motions like in the video @spookyvibes provided), it might just be a normal personality change that can occur with molting. I've had tarantulas pull complete 180s with their personality after a molt.

Do the animals that were treated with flea treatment have access to the room your tarantula is in? What about the feeders? Do you wash your hands before doing anything in the tarantula enclosure?
Yes I constantly wash my hands. I use frontline on the dogs and revolution on the cats. They do have access to the room but cannot reach them at all

What is with the face palm? That is not helpful at all. Trying to find out what is wrong and what is can do if I can do anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'm glad I don't touch my Ts after reading that flea treatment for dogs would effect them, it didn't even cross my mind and my dogs have it on them...

I didn't see this happen so I can't say, but if its not an issue it could just be because this species if sort of fast/skittish.

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
I could understand if I was not careful about handling enclosures or food, but I wash my hands constantly(vet tech, it is habit).

boina

Lady of the mites
I could understand if I was not careful about handling enclosures or food, but I wash my hands constantly(vet tech, it is habit).
Washing hands is not good enough. Frontline and Revolution both diffuse into the air directly after treatment. Frontline is bad, but the Selamectin (Revolution) is even worse. It kills every invertebrate in site and works especially well on mites and ticks - very close relatives of your spider. Mammals that are freshly treated should not be in the same room as the spider for at least a weak - until the stuff is completely absorbed or dried off from the mammals hairs. If you want to be safe use pills for flea treatment.

I had the same problem when I took in two cats from a shelter that had been treated beforehand without me knowing about it. The end result you can read in the link @spookyvibes provided. Since only a few of my over 100 spiders were affected in the end and one of them was my AF GBB it may be possible that GBBs are especially sensitive to flea treatment.

From what you describe it is extremely likely that you poisoned your spider.

Mithricat

Arachnosquire
Since the issue of flea/tick treatment came up, there are alternatives to spot-on, there are pills that work for 3 months and will keep your dog safe. @Kia4evr probably knows this, being a vet tech, but for the rest you should know you have this option. The cost is about the same.

That being said I use a regular spot on for my dog (Fipronil being the active ingredient) and never had a problem with either my spiders or roaches. I always apply it with gloves and don't let my dog in the spider room for about 3-4 days afterwards.