User Garth Vader's Tarantula Pictures

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thought I'd just start a thread for pictures of my buddies. Today I rehoused my 3 newest additions: 2 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ("Markie" and "Tommy") and one Phormictopus auratus ("Glenn Danzig"). They are all about 1". They were in little vials before, nor bad but not ideal so I wanted to give them all more space.

Glenn Danzig likes to burrow a lot so he should be happier here. I keep thinking he's about to molt but maybe he's just a fat sling: 1210171047.jpg

Here are the enclosures all ready to go:
1210171036.jpg

Lovely GBB: 1210171045a.jpg

New enclosures with old enclosures. Much better!
1210171047b.jpg

Aaaand up they go into the top shelf of the closet. The Ts were in a lovely glass cabinet but my toddler likes to run in front of it and well, she runs everywhere else is the house. Not pictured because, well, it is a shelf in a closet.

Edited: Doing this on my phone seemed a bit challenging and I accidentally published before adding pics. o_OAll fixed now.

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
1213171354f.jpg Ramona, MF Euathlus sp 'Red' lives at the office.

She does a great job in exposure therapy sessions since she typically seems curious and explores a lot.

She definitely earns her keep.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Most of the Ts are chillin, not eating, and looking fat so I have been waiting on some molts.

I almost forgot about Dee Dee, Hapolopus sp. Colombia large. He has been hidden away in his den for weeks and then made an appearance on the side of the enclosure today. Looking much bigger and I can baaaaarely make out a molt behind him.

1213172019.jpg

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Feeding day today.

I tried to get some pictures of Glenn Danzig (Phormictopus auratus sling) but couldn't get a good one. He made himself a nice little dirt hide and looks like a shiny black jellybean.

Surprisingly, the most frequent eater these days has been Joey (Euathlus sp red sling). He sure is cute. Shortly after getting his dinner, the little nugget tried to walk right out of his enclosure.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
And video cuts,

“Will this tarantula ever escape?!”

Find out in the next episode of ‘Feeding day today.’

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
The two GBB slings are looking plump but very scrunched up and stressed. They haven't molted since I got them nearly two months ago and they've been refusing meals for several weeks. Hopefully it is just pre molt behavior.
1231171453.jpg

Also, "Dorothy" Grammastola pulchripes is continuing to look stressed and not doing much. She has webbed up her enclosure even more and I swear she is looking plumper and darker so perhaps a molt is coming. She has also not molted since I got her about a year ago.
1231171503.jpg

Now for a game of "are you fat or are you going to molt?"

The jellybean, "Glenn Danzig", tiny Phormictopus auratus. Premolt? Fat? I just dunno. I do know that he likes to burrow. I anticipate major attitude from this one as he gets bigger.
1231171458a.jpg

This one I am guessing is just a fatty. "Nigel" the Aphonophelma anax who, by the way, was named after the XTC song called "Making Plans for Nigel".
1231171456.jpg

Aviculara aviculara "Johnny" is not fat and is not going to molt very soon. He hasn't eaten since the molt over a week ago and looks oh so snug in the web.
1231171458.jpg

And we have "Dee Dee" H sp Colombia large who gets the Creepy Spider award for non stop chilling in this dark web lair and slowly killing every cricket I ever offer. Hard to get a picture but you can sure recognize that pumpkin butt pattern.
1231171459.jpg

And last we cannot forget little "Joey" Euathlus sp Red sling, who is always ready to hit the town.
1231171500b.jpg

Happy New Year 2018!

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That P. auratus looks just like mine does when it's 2-7 days before a molt. Get ready for a shocking size increase.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Last week was pretty molt-tastic so the babies moved into bigger enclosures today.

The little enclosures with the new, larger enclosures. As you can see, one of the GBBs just took the little catch cup with him into the enclosure. 0114181627.jpg

Here's one of the lovely GBBs. 0114181613b.jpg

And the fluffy rocker, "Glenn Danzig", Phormictopus auratus. This one really sized up from the molt.
0114181619c.jpg

So today's theme was "Use a catch cup, dummy". I was messing around with a cricket in the enclosure that belongs to "Dee Dee", Hapalopus sp Colombia large. Well Dee Dee raced out in a very quick moment so it was very good that we were on the ground and I had a catch cup right there. Here he is back in his home. These pumpkin butts are extremely fast so don't mess around.
0114181652.jpg

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
The slings are tucked away in their holes.

Phormictopus autatus sling, "Glenn Danzig" is way down in the hole. You can barely see the little butt down there.
0308182019a.jpg

Euathlus sp. 'Red', "
Joey", is also down in the hole looking quite plump.
0308182018.jpg

You will never guess what is up with Hapalopus sp. Colombia large, "Dee Dee". Yep, way down in the hole. Yesterday I could barely make out the bright pumpkin butt in there so at least now I know that this hole is not actually a portal into another dimension. 0308182020.jpg

And, last picture is of the cool webbing artistically rendered by Chromotapelma cyaneopubescens, "Markie". 0308182016a.jpg

Also, on a total side note, there are a lot of great versions of the song "Way Down in the Hole" by Tom Waits, thanks to it being the theme song of one of the best shows everrrr.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Good news (I think) for chronically depressed Grammastola pulchripes, "Dorothy Zbornak". After months of seeing this poor gal stress posing in the corner of her enclosure, I decided to try moving her back into her original enclosure. I thought the enclosure was a bit on the small side for her, but I guess the tarantula knows best.

So far, so good. She's gone into her hide, hung out out the side, and took a while at the water dish too. Hopefully she is more comfortable now.

0311181104a.jpg

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Well, my username is different now but I will just keep adding to this here thread.

First, I must introduce the new addition. Aphonopelma chalcodes, lovely female WC specimen and her name is Lucinda. How adorable is she?
0320182025.jpg

I might become an Aphonopelma addict. I just love them. Aphonopelma anax, "Nigel" is still chillin with the big booty and has been due for a molt for like 100 years. I just think this is such a lovely tarantula.
0320182030.jpg

Some more spider booty pictures now.

I caught a glimpse of this shy one, Hapalopus sp Colombia large, "Dee Dee" who molted a bit over a week ago.
0320182027.jpg

And here is an Aviculara aviculara, "Johnny" booty. Hard to really see through all the webbing but it is rather floofy.
0320182028a.jpg

Can't see in the picture, but Phormictopus auratus, "Glenn Danzig" recently molted. I can barely make it out when I shine my light down there and I don't want to bug Glenn too much. But I can tell that a new enclosure will be needed- looks like a big old tarantula down there and not a sling! Perhaps I should just move Glenn into a fairly large enclosure considering how quickly they grow.
0320182032.jpg

The GBBs are completely webbed up and looking quite ready to molt. No pictures of that!