gargyle gecko growths

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I looked on the internet but wasnt able to find information telling me how fast gargoyle geckos grow. Can anyone here help me with any information? thanks

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
It takes Rhacodactylus auriculatus 18 months to reach maturity (quite different than R. ciliatus, which may mature in 6-8). Therefore, they are comparatively slow growers.

However, temperature and diet also play a role in development. You shouldn't keep R. auriculatus under the same conditions as R. ciliatus. The latter (crested gecko) cannot tolerate high temperatures and like most Rhacs do best in the mid to upper 70s - fairly cool for a reptile. But the gargoyle comes from a dry harsh area in the south of New Caledonia and prefers higher temps (hot spot ~ 85F - as always, provide heat in a gradient so it can get to cooler temps if desired). As for diet, gargoyles will eat other lizards in their natural habitat and is the most carnivorous Rhac. Juveniles are notorious for ignoring crickets that may seem appropriate for the lizard's size and eagerly attack larger crickets that they have to wrestle to eat! I also add a little meat baby food (e.g., turkey, veal) into the fruit goop that I feed the rest of my Rhacs and my Phelsuma for the gargoyles [I feed them last and add it then]. As they get larger, lizards and pinkies may be accepted. Note: It is also important to note that most Rhacs can abruptly change their dietary preferences. A good cricket eater may all of a sudden ignore them and only accept fruit and vice versa.