Gargoyle Gecko enclosure suggestions?

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
I am picking up a baby Reticulated Gargoyle Gecko this weekend. Naturally, I am being sure to have the enclosure set up beforehand. I have kept crested geckos before, and from what I have read, they’re extremely similar in terms of husbandry. I’m looking to create something bioactive, so if anyone has any suggestions/examples of their Gargoyle gecko setups, please post them here!

*P.S. look at the little guy ❤

D9CC945C-F6EE-4047-89E1-BF6FF288822A.jpeg

StampFan

Arachnodemon
You'll find a lot of stuff saying Cresties are a lot like Gargoyles. While they might be in terms of their care/environment, they are very different behaviourally.

For example, most Cresties freak out when you try to take them out. Gargs are more likely to "freeze" and you can just grab and take them out. Gargs are much more "out" and on display as well so I don't have as much plant cover. Mine regularly sit on a pool noodle perch on the front lookin' out at the world.

I can't speak at all in terms of the bioactive enclosures as in theory they make sense (ie they clean themselves) but in reality these geckos poop all over the sides and décor anyways; the leaves of live plants would likely also have to be cleaned, any backdrops, etc. Might look nice for a display tank, but I would suspect there would be a LOT of ongoing maintenance as well.

All of my geckos *love* those 6 foot vines that you can buy, Zoomed or Zilla or whatever. They are like a gecko transport system, lets them climb *and* get anywhere in their enclosure.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
You'll find a lot of stuff saying Cresties are a lot like Gargoyles. While they might be in terms of their care/environment, they are very different behaviourally.

For example, most Cresties freak out when you try to take them out. Gargs are more likely to "freeze" and you can just grab and take them out. Gargs are much more "out" and on display as well so I don't have as much plant cover. Mine regularly sit on a pool noodle perch on the front lookin' out at the world.

I can't speak at all in terms of the bioactive enclosures as in theory they make sense (ie they clean themselves) but in reality these geckos poop all over the sides and décor anyways; the leaves of live plants would likely also have to be cleaned, any backdrops, etc. Might look nice for a display tank, but I would suspect there would be a LOT of ongoing maintenance as well.

All of my geckos *love* those 6 foot vines that you can buy, Zoomed or Zilla or whatever. They are like a gecko transport system, lets them climb *and* get anywhere in their enclosure.
So for the sake of simplicity and cleanliness, it would be easier to use a more basic setup like this maybe? (The lamp is just to give a clearer image of the enclosure, it will be removed)
IMG_0008.jpeg
Also, thank you for the vine idea! I'll pick some more of those up too :)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So for the sake of simplicity and cleanliness, it would be easier to use a more basic setup like this maybe? (The lamp is just to give a clearer image of the enclosure, it will be removed)
View attachment 282703
Also, thank you for the vine idea! I'll pick some more of those up too :)
Looks fine. I find mine also use horizontal "perches" so I also have actual bird perches, wood, and other stuff that go *across*. Easily the most popular. Higher up and across. Pipe insulation and pool noodles work great, there are likely other options for a more natural look.