galapagoensis/gigantea(?) another breeding attempt

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m not having the luck I was this time around with these, just not going so well. These two are together atm. These are the CBs grown up, they go through the mating ritual but the females go through the web tunnel and seem to deliberately miss the spermatophore, that or they just mess everything up. Anybody get babies this time around?, successful breeding? I only have two healthy males left but more females, getting a little desperate about it, don't know why there is no pick up.

Last edited:

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Good to see you back and still at this! Hopefully she starts behaving. I've had a couple of female pedes do the same thing, and I think sometimes they're not impressed with the males courtship or spinning site? Or possibly the females have been out of season, so to speak. I'm sure you'll get results though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That crossed my mind, the "season" poss being the problem. I wonder how much they sense season triggers out of their natural habitat so I have doubts about it, it could be the case though, I just don't know, going to try again tomorrow. When I got the first ones, I think I started trying really hard around August(?), they were picking up almost every time, I only saw one or two attempts when they didn't. Mating also happened fast, within the first 30 minutes. Now they might be together for 8 hours or so just "messing around", so have to go check on them all the time.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
I reckon, but could be wrong, they're as sensitive to it as other captive bred inverts can be. Certainly I've had to introduce triggers in spiders, for example, to get them to produce a sac, and that's from spiders that are probably more than a couple of generations captive bred. But besides that, I would have thought they have some kind of cycle, even if they're not "wild". Right now, I've had no problems introducing Asian pedes to each other, other than males occasionally panicking, while it's the other way round with African and American species...the males are dancing away, and the females just take off as soon as they come into contact with them. With one S.morsitans, she trampled the web as soon as it was finished and ate the spermatophore without even attempting a pickup.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With one S.morsitans, she trampled the web as soon as it was finished and ate the spermatophore without even attempting a pickup.
That's exactly what's been going on over here with these giant S.A. pedes, several times, over and over. I have a male right now spinning and I'm recording it, hope it goes well this time.

...well it was another fail, birth control for pedes I guess. I may post the vid on Youtube, I haven't done that in a while.

Last edited:

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That crossed my mind, the "season" poss being the problem. I wonder how much they sense season triggers out of their natural habitat so I have doubts about it, it could be the case though, I just don't know, going to try again tomorrow. When I got the first ones, I think I started trying really hard around August(?), they were picking up almost every time, I only saw one or two attempts when they didn't. Mating also happened fast, within the first 30 minutes. Now they might be together for 8 hours or so just "messing around", so have to go check on them all the time.
Might be just this North American generation, kids now on days jus mess around, and no commitment

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Before my females kicked off they didn't show any interest in the boys either. That was a few months ago.