G. rosea

komokenison

Arachnopeon
I bought a mature red color form G. rosea female about 6 months ago. I had read about how difficult it can be to get them through the hemisphere shift so that they will molt an be on a "normal" cycle. Well, she finally molted over the weekend - of course I wasn't even home. Now I can relax.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You didn't have to be stressed at all. My rosie hasn't moulted in the entire time I've had her - going on 9 months. I'm not worried in the least, though I'm beginning to suspect that she's mature. As long as your buddy is acting normal, you shouldn't worry :)

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont even worry about hemisphere shift ae, it doesnt make a huge effect on them.

Btw, for future reference, a post like this belongs in the chat section, questions and discussion is for exactly that, questions and discussing scientific questions etc. =)

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Dont even worry about hemisphere shift ae, it doesnt make a huge effect on them.

Btw, for future reference, a post like this belongs in the chat section, questions and discussion is for exactly that, questions and discussing scientific questions etc. =)
agreed hemishere shift does nothing to them

komokenison

Arachnopeon
I disagree. I've read that sometimes they don't molt for years until they go through the hemisphere shift, when normally they will molt yearly. And now that she has molted - having been through 1 unexpected egg sac - at least I won't have to endure another unless I choose to try to breed her.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I disagree. I've read that sometimes they don't molt for years until they go through the hemisphere shift, when normally they will molt yearly. And now that she has molted - having been through 1 unexpected egg sac - at least I won't have to endure another unless I choose to try to breed her.
You're not wrong. No one has said that hemisphere shift doesn't exist - it's a very real thing. What we're saying is that it doesn't really matter. So they don't molt for a year or two... I struggle to see what that's an issue for the tarantula. Sure, it may be annoying to you because you want to see it grow, but there's no harm done.* Remember, these are bugs; they've lived quite well for 450 million years, and you would have to go out of your way to harm them. They know what they're doing, and they're much more resilient that we like to believe :alien:

*That we know of