1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G Rosea troublesome molt. Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by flyer0029, Jul 7, 2018.

1. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Greetings. Have a problem
    Here in DC. My buddies GRosea, around age 6, has been pre molt for what seems like years. Anyway, last time she molted was 2 years ago. She had refused all food for 12 months. She looks healthy and drinks a lot of water. She prefers to suck it from the substrate near the water saucer in the enclosure. She will however drink from them water bowl if she feels like it. She has been trying for three days to molt, I have been watching her push. I am almost 100% certain that the carapace(I hope I’m using right term), is not popping. She is trying to do this upright. I am including a video of her walking around yesterday and a photo tonight of the carapace which it appears she has made some progress as it is clearly different. There is a white line around and it is slightly crooked. Yesterday afternoon, if you looked at the carapace as it normally sits the top point would be at 12 o'clock position. Well, it was at the 3 o'clock position but seemed to quickly rotate back to normal. However, as you can see in the still photograph, it is not looking completely correct. I am concerned that if she does pop the carapace, if she will be able to get out. I know I mentioned this but, she drinks a lot of water, always had, and no previous molt issues, but no one observed them either. I will not be able to sit around and do nothing if she is stuck. She clearly has made progress and she is ready to get out, is there anything that I might do to assist her that someone could suggest? I seriously need some direction here. I am not a complete worried mess, yet. But if she cant get that thing popped, and is stuck. I will flip. I wish that she would just flip over and not go against gravity. I am so shocked that this is happening given the amount is water she constantly drinks. I always have water in a large saucer that she has never had issue with. Well, not too long ago, I was reading about how many like to get water from the substrate like they got in the wild from the ground. So I have been wetting one side of the saucer and today I wet a larger area, only to find her standing on the spot for quite some time today. She never does that. I am thinking she was attempting to maybe get some extra fluid to aid or soften up.

In Addition:
    One thing,
    The lamp on top of her enclosure, was placed there to take pics and video to post. It is not used on her enclosure at all times.
    I am going to post video and a still. The video will have a link and the still is on this site. In the still I am trying to point out the condition of the carapace, please look closely. She’s moving around quite gingerly, as you will see. I have been talking to her saying push girl, push!
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  3. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Hi, thanks for your reply.. The furthest she has gone in the last 24 was to the water, and where I usually wet the substrate more I made a larger area to see what she would do. So she was pulling water from the substrate, then very carefully moved onto the wet circle I just mentioned and stayed on that for about 40 minutes.. She NEVER does that, she despises wet substrate, so I took this as an effort by her to moisten up more, I dont know. She clearly has to know that she is in a potentially really bad situation is my take on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  4. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    That tarantula is NOT attempting to molt. I don't know what makes you think that. From the behavior you describe and frome the video and the pic she seems to show normal tarantula behaviour in later premolt, but she's not there yet. Stop bothering her, stop wetting the substrate, just leave her alone. She is NOT in trouble, she's behaving completely normal and everything is as it is suposed to be. It is very important that you understand: the only right thing to do at this moment is NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  5. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Nothing wrong with the G.rosea. She's just being a spider really. She doesn't eat because she's fat enough to last her easily through the next molt.

What is the blue/pink/purple thingy in the left of her enclosure?
    Her enclosure could use some improvement imo. I would downgrade it to a smaller one and raise the substrate significantly to avoid climbing and falling. Those log hides are pretty much redundant the way they are placed now, I'd just use one and bury it half way in the substrate. This species doesn't use a hide much, but I would like to give her the option.
    The substrate is dry as it should be, but could be more firmly tamped down since they hate soft surfaces to walk on.
    The temperature and humidity meters can be dumped in the trash since this species is hardy and does well on room temperature and zero humidity.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. boina

Germany
    Oh, and btw, I just had a discussion with @Sinned and I thought I'd put it here, too:

A tarantula can't walk and molt, that's physically impossible. Their walking is a mixture of muscle movement and hydraulics and once the carapace pops using hydraulic pressure will push the carapace out (like it's supposed to be) instead of straigtening the legs, as it is needed for walking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. flyer0029

flyer0029 Arachnopeon

Thank you for your reply, let me clarify a few things, as perhaps I am completely misreading what is going on. First of all, she prefers to drink from the substrate. Even though I change the water daily, it is basically in there for show, because she doesn't touch it as long as she gets enough from the substrate. There is one spot next to the water dish that I consistently put water on and she goes right to it every time for her drinks. I am not overwetting the substrate in an attempt to add any moisture as I am fully aware that the moisture she needs is hydration from within. I am not an idiot. The small circle where I put the water I made a little larger yesterday because she has increased her water intake by so much. She loathes wet substrate, but guess what, that area where she gets her water that I made a little bigger, she planted herself on that yesterday for nearly an hour. I was completely shocked. I am not taking a pitcher of water and dumping it on the substrate. Next, I have watched her for the last four days, and she is not parading around the enclosure doing laps, but she will go to her usual place she plants her self and expands her entire body, pushing so hard that I literally think she is going to explode. She pushes so hard that that the substrate will move under her at times. The carapace has been moving and if you didnt see in my post was completely turned on top of her yesterday, like I could have reached down and spun it like the wheel of fortune. When she is pushing, she also is working her abdomen as well, pulling it in so hard and pushing it back equally as hard, it is like a wave in her abdomen. So, what is she doing, because I have watched various upright molting videos and that is the only thing I could surmise. She belongs to my best friend however I have been taking care of her for months d/t his travel schedule. I have been slowly learning about the unpredictability of the tarantula and the G Rosea, and first and foremost would NEVER randomly start screwing around with her unless I had consulted here on this site with all of you. When my friend came home this past week, and he came over and saw what she was doing, the first thing he said was she was trying to do an upright molt, and in the six years he has had her has never seen the movements she has been doing and could only arrive at an upright molt with the force you is using. Also, in the video, I recorded that to give a larger glimpse of her. I have been unable to record her doing all of the movements I have described because I dont want to bust all this lighting on her and freak her out, as she is doing it at night. Thank you for your concern and for responding.

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply. Her enclosure does not generally look like it currently does. I look after her for my best friend d/t his travel schedule, and when we cleaned her enclosure the last time wherever he gets the coco fiber, they were limited and he had to go with what they had as he was going out of town for work the next day. So, he does a really cool set up for the T, and the substrate is like 5 times deeper and has a hide that she sometimes uses and sometimes does not. He put together a different style hide this last time, but, because we didn't have the amount we usually put in, I had to close the hide down and the hill above it where she likes to hand out the most because it was collapsing over top of those 2 half logs, so i laid them flat. He brought over more substrate but is reluctant to disrupt her currently...I am going let him decide what he wants to do about that. The blue, pink, and purple things is a ceramic lizard that I bought in Puerto Vallarta for my buddy and he put it in the enclosure to add some color,, and "Fluffy", as he calls her took to it early on and likes to lay on it partially, so he has left it in with her. But, yes, the enclosure needs to get back to normal. I have been doing my best to keep it tamped down, but this coco sub is not like that one he generally gets. It will be better soon. I laid the longs like I did so i didnt have to worry about the T having them collapse on her. Also, please, if you have time read my response to another member just before or after yours for a more detailed account of what my concern is. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  8. boina

Germany
    So you see her doing unusual movement and you conclude she wants to molt upright. I'm not sure I'm following that argument but it doesn't matter anyway. Before the tarantula pops the carapace by herself there's absolutely nothing you can do. The only possible advice is still to do absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure you do not want to attempt to cut the carapace off... I mean, what if you are wrong and she isn't trying to molt? In that case all you'd do is slaughter her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I can't say I have ever heard or read or see a Theraphosid doing what you are describing. If it is getting ready to molt, the way she is walking around would be impossible due to the heightened pressure from the inside. That's why I think this isn't because of a molt. Do you think you could video her doing the abdominal pushing and pulling?
    The impression it leaves me is that of someone constipated and in need of relief, but I'm not sure this is applicable to Theraphosidae as well. @boina , impaction a possibility? I have seen Avics doing a bit of a 'twitch' before shooting poop at me...could this be the case?

10. boina

Germany
    That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that but I can definitely see that as a possible reason.