1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G.rosea substrate

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Harry, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Harry

Harry Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Can I use sand as the substrate for a G.rosea

2. SpiderTwin

SpiderTwin Arachnoangel Old Timer

No, you need to give them something they can burrow into. I give my rosies about 4-5 inches of shredded coconut bark. You can also use peat or potting soil that does not have any fertilizers or chemicals in it.

Sand is not recommended for tarantulas. Sand dosen't hold moisture well, especially important for those T's that need higher humidity. But G. rosea dosen't require much humidity.

3. BigSam

BigSam Arachnoprince Old Timer

I use peat moss holds water real good. :D

Sam,

4. Harry

Harry Arachnopeon

substrate

should I flatten the peat down or simply put it in.

5. SpiderTwin

SpiderTwin Arachnoangel Old Timer

I wouldn't pack the substrate down, usually I just put it in and let the T at it.

6. vulpina

vulpina Arachnoprince Old Timer

I agree, just put in the peat, mist a little and let the T go

Andy

7. Psycho

Psycho Arachnobaron Old Timer

I use potting soil for mine...my oldest G. Rosea burrowed real good but my other one is bein real picky.....

~~~Psycho~~~

8. Harry

Harry Arachnopeon

substrate

I probably will take your suggestions, but if rosies don't need moisture then what else is wrong with sand?

9. vulpina

vulpina Arachnoprince Old Timer

It won't hold a burrow, it will collapse. The T may not burrow but it should be given the opportunity.

Andy

10. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

I use peat, which I tamp in lightly.

Sand is abrasive, dusty and generaly quite desicating. You could probably keept a rosie on sand, bit I feel much better using peat.

Cheers,
    Dave

11. si_sleaf

si_sleaf Arachnoknight

I use peat for my G rosea. I microwave it first to kill any bacteria that might be in there. Once it has cooled sufficiently for me to touch it I put it in my Rosea's tank. Not evenly, I landscape it a bit and start a small hole near one of the corners, pressing it down light so it is not too loose. My T has since dug the hole down a few inches and sits in there quite happily. Sometimes she will sit on the top of the substrate for weeks. Then one day I will have a look in there and see a huge mound of peat on one side of the tank (usually on top of the waterdish:rolleyes: ) and I can just see her peeping out of the deep burrow. I keep it moist but not wet. That way if the burrowing urge gets her she can do her thing:)