G. rosea sperm web

frankinthecity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello everyone,
i have a mature male g. rosea, it was in a 5 gallons tanks, but it molted and i dicovered it is a male because of the little hooks its have on the #1 pair of legs, so i changed its tank to a small critter keeper so he dont wanders around looking for a female and have its life shorten. should it makes a sperm web(sorry im french, is it the right english term?) by now? it molted 1-2 months ago

i did try the search option before posting, if i didnt searched properly, i would appreciate a link to where that subjet has already been discussed...

thank you much

Francois

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It most likely did. They usually destroy their sperm webs after they make them, so you prolly never seen him make one, but i've heard that most mature males are "loaded" so i'm pretty sure he would be ready to mate.

-Mattyb

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Reducing the size of the enclosure will not prolong his life, only give hime less room to wander. As far as the sperm web is concerned, he may have already spun one. There is a good chance it will get destroyed after he has used it. At this point though, he should have spun his web.

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you see the hooks that means that he has had his final molt. He is probably going to be around no longer than a year. You can keep him alive longer by keeping him at a little cooler temp, but not too cool, since he is most likely going to fast until it is his time. If you want to do him a favor, try finding him a girlfriend !