G. Rosea Refurb - Also hello everyone!

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Hi Folks!

I'm new to Arachnoboards and this is my first post, although I've had my G. Rosea for 5 years now I've decided its about time to join the community!

I recently cleaned her enclosure out and gave her fresh coco fibre substrate this was about 2 weeks ago now and she is still climbing the walls, I've even packed it down following some guidance i read in anther post but she just doesn't seem to like it anymore!

I have her in an exo terra 30x30x30 with a fish tank ornament log down the middle for a hide along with a water dish, shes seemed happy enough in her hide before but now shes either on top of it or on the sides.

Whilst I've been researching I've seen a few interesting looking terranium ideas and would like to know the best plants for a G. Rosea enclosure also i've seen a few with some dry looking grassy tumble weed stuff could anyone tell me what this is, i'm sure it doesn't offer anything for the T but it does make the enclosure look more natural!

I'm also thinking about ditching the ornament and creating a hide with some cork bark stuck in the substrate to make a little cave... now the substrate... i've also read that coco fibre is frowned upon as its nothing like their natural habitat and its best to use a soil sand mix? exactly what soil and sand is best... and would this be recommended or do you think that all these changes would cause more stress than its worth?

I have also included a picture for sexing, i'm assuming that shes a she!

IMG_7850.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3752.JPG

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Second and third picture substrate looks a little wet which may explain the wall climbing and to my understanding this species hates even slightly damp substrate. I could be wrong though, I've never been told coco fibre is bad for tarantulas.
It's a beaut of a T though.

boina

Lady of the mites
I recently cleaned her enclosure out and gave her fresh coco fibre substrate
Why did you 'clean' it? Did yo have any problems with mold or bugs or anything? Substrate doesn't go bad, no need to ever clean it.

she is still climbing the walls
Is the new substrate damp, by any chance? This species abhors dampness in any form. If not she just needs time to settle.

best plants for a G. Rosea enclosure
None. G. rosea needs completely dry substrate and I don't know of any plant that can live without water.

i've also read that coco fibre is frowned upon as its nothing like their natural habitat
??? Who frowns? Coco fiber is a perfectly fine substrate and also the most used substrate I know of. (Can it be by any chance that you listened to a bit of the very loud and mostly uninformed 'advice' on this thing called facebook ;)?)

cork bark stuck in the substrate to make a little cave...
That sounds like a good idea :)

i'm assuming that shes a she!
Yes, she's a she :)

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Second and third picture substrate looks a little wet which may explain the wall climbing and to my understanding this species hates even slightly damp substrate. I could be wrong though, I've never been told coco fibre is bad for tarantulas.
It's a beaut of a T though.
Thanks! she is lovely.

Yes they're not new photos! although that is what the substrate looked like after i cleaned her out, its a lot dryer now ill try and add a new pic! but i usually leave it to dry in the sun for a few hours first then just leave it to dry out naturally in the tank and she usually comes down after a few days... but not this time!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Thanks! she is lovely.

Yes they're not new photos! although that is what the substrate looked like after i cleaned her out, its a lot dryer now ill try and add a new pic! but i usually leave it to dry in the sun for a few hours first then just leave it to dry out naturally in the tank and she usually comes down after a few days... but not this time!
Then perhaps it is a little damp, coco fibre is a pain to dry. Also welcome to the forums.

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Why did you 'clean' it? Did yo have any problems with mold or bugs or anything? Substrate doesn't go bad, no need to ever clean it.

No i don't ever clean it out fully this is the first time actually i usually just take off the top layer and add a little bit of fresh but it was just looking a bit tired (and a bit smelly) so i decided to freshen it up and clean the glass.

Is the new substrate damp, by any chance? This species abhors dampness in any form. If not she just needs time to settle.
I feel it was a little damp to begin with but it should be OK by now, she does seem to have stopped climbing as much but now shes just sitting on top of the log, i know its her choice but i feel shes a lot happier under the hide! not on it!

No i don't ever clean it out fully this is the first time actually i usually just take off the top layer and add a little bit of fresh but it was just looking a bit tired (and a bit smelly) so i decided to freshen it up and clean the glass.

None. G. rosea needs completely dry substrate and I don't know of any plant that can live without water.
:embarrassed: OK ill stick with just a new hide then!

??? Who frowns? Coco fiber is a perfectly fine substrate and also the most used substrate I know of. (Can it be by any chance that you listened to a bit of the very loud and mostly uninformed 'advice' on this thing called facebook ;)?)
No ! I'm sure i read it on here somewhere... i cant remember where so i cant name names I'm afraid :confused:

That sounds like a good idea :)
Great!

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
As previously stated, try to keep the substrate dry. I'm a little concerned about why the substrate is smelling so bad that you feel the need to change it. My only thoughts are that it's getting moldy or you're leaving dead food in there that's rotting/getting mold. Neither of these things should be happening in the enclosure of a dry species. I also think the substrate is a bit low for such a big girl, especially if she's been climbing lately. It's very easy for them to hurt themselves from a fall, and fatal injuries aren't uncommon. I'm also curious what you used to clean the glass of her enclosure. Did you use any chemicals on the inside where she is?

I know that the problem seems to have already been identified (damp substrate), but I just want to point out these other concerns while you're asking for help, because I'd hate to see you lose your girl because of any husbandry mistakes that were seen but not pointed out.

But welcome to the forums! :)

Abbio

Arachnopeon
I've just taken a current picture of her. She's seems to be sitting on the hide more now. 20170816_172907.jpg

Abbio

Arachnopeon
As previously stated, try to keep the substrate dry. I'm a little concerned about why the substrate is smelling so bad that you feel the need to change it. My only thoughts are that it's getting moldy or you're leaving dead food in there that's rotting/getting mold. Neither of these things should be happening in the enclosure of a dry species. I also think the substrate is a bit low for such a big girl, especially if she's been climbing lately. It's very easy for them to hurt themselves from a fall, and fatal injuries aren't uncommon. I'm also curious what you used to clean the glass of her enclosure. Did you use any chemicals on the inside where she is?

I know that the problem seems to have already been identified (damp substrate), but I just want to point out these other concerns while you're asking for help, because I'd hate to see you lose your girl because of any husbandry mistakes that were seen but not pointed out.

But welcome to the forums! :)
Hi thanks for your advice I will be putting more substrate in im just worried it's going to be to damp again ! Im sure she'll be ok as long as it's deep enough. And I'll make her a new hide with some sunken bark. If anyone has pictures of examples so I can get some ideas that would be great
Oh and the cleaner I used was beaphar deep clean disinfectant for reptiles but I rinsed it well with the shower.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Exo teras don't make very good terrestrial enclosures without significant modification. I'd recommend something a lot more shallow. Terrestrials are easily injured by falls and can get their claws stuck in screen.
That cage is much more suited for an arboreal

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Exo teras don't make very good terrestrial enclosures without significant modification. I'd recommend something a lot more shallow. Terrestrials are easily injured by falls and can get their claws stuck in screen.
That cage is much more suited for an arboreal
I see so what sort of size would you recommend, i have had her in that enclosure for 5 years so i wasn't expecting to have to move her out! you mentioned modifications what could i do with what i have already to make it better other than deeper substrate i've already sorted that.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I see so what sort of size would you recommend, i have had her in that enclosure for 5 years so i wasn't expecting to have to move her out! you mentioned modifications what could i do with what i have already to make it better other than deeper substrate i've already sorted that.
For enclosures it's pretty simple to sort out your from the UK and if your close to a pets from home they do pretty cheap KK enclosures that I think are suitable it's what I use anyway or you can go to Homebase and buy a plastic container and drill holes they have some really awesome tubs in there

Abbio

Arachnopeon
I pretty much cover any sharp bits in sub and fill the enclosure up until from where the sub starts to the top is x1.5 the spider DLS

View media item 43261
Thanks for the pic! thats really helpful that hide is what i had in mind to create for her. ill do something similar. but ill look into a change of enclosure

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That size is fine. You'd have to flip it on its side, replace the screen with plexiglass or acrylic and use the front opening double doors as the access point. There's a thread on it I'm sure you could find.
You could just keep her like that, but it's a risk, a very small one, but one that is lethal.

Abbio

Arachnopeon
th
That size is fine. You'd have to flip it on its side, replace the screen with plexiglass or acrylic and use the front opening double doors as the access point. There's a thread on it I'm sure you could find.
You could just keep her like that, but it's a risk, a very small one, but one that is lethal.
thats great idea ive never thought of that! ill get to work this weekend!

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Hi All,
I didn't manage to flip the tank onto its side but i have added much more substrate and a new hide, the water dish is hidden from view in the corner.

She was in the hide at the time of this picture but was back out again this morning! at least she knows its there!

What do you think? :shy:

Attachments