G rosea in pre-molt, right?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... I also bought The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. So, that was really helpful in determining if it was in pre-molt or not. ...
Good! Now don't forget to read the other three recommended books.

... I bought her from a pet store (yeah, i know...). Do all pet store's get their Ts from imports, or do some of them breed their own? ...
More and more pet shops, especially the larger ones with a strong exotic sales component, are beginning to buy captive bred tarantulas from dealers and breeders, and through the formal pet industry. This is good in that it means that our hobby is finally beginning to make an impact. And, that means that we can begin to put more pressure on the pet industry to care for their tarantulas better, and (be still my throbbing heart!) GET THE NAMES RIGHT!

The bad news is the deterioration of quality that comes with mass marketing. Instead of puppy mills we're going to end up with "spider mills!"

... I think (more like hope) that she will molt within the two weeks because she's pretty small; she's only ~2.5" legspan..

Well.. I just hope she won't lay an eggsac. I don't think I'm ready for that. I don't even know what to do if that does happen....
I think you're correct. It seems too small to be sexually mature yet.

BTW, did we discuss what sex it might be yet? If it's a male, you wouldn't have to worry about an eggsac, would you! I wouldn't bother it for now, but if and when it molts, remove the shed skin to protect it, and get back to us on this same thread. That saves trying to bring us back up to speed after a lapse of weeks or months.

xtianD

Arachnopeon
BTW, did we discuss what sex it might be yet? If it's a male, you wouldn't have to worry about an eggsac, would you! I wouldn't bother it for now, but if and when it molts, remove the shed skin to protect it, and get back to us on this same thread. That saves trying to bring us back up to speed after a lapse of weeks or months.
I think it's a female, though. Besides the fact that the guy at the pet store saying it is, I checked her underside and there was this white curvy line between its first pair of book lungs. (Not really sure about all the terms.. hehe..)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure balding is NOT a sign of premolt, it's caused by the T kicking hairs. But, it does help to determine if the T is molting (if the bald spot turrns dark).
yeah im aware of that.. i just meant it hasnt been rubbing off any u hairs.. ive had ts a while now and can spot premolt a mile away. thanks for clarifying for other readers tho..good call

xtianD

Arachnopeon
just wanted to update people. :)

i just noticed there's a bit of webbing. like the start of a "web mat"
it should be a matter of days, i think.. ? :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dont hold your breath lol.... seriously though, i hope your t molts soon... im just bitter because MINE does nothing at all, and has DONE NOTHING the whole time ive had it... SERIOUSLY

xtianD

Arachnopeon
she's a slowpoke, so im not holding my breath at all. hahaa! but why is your T so inactive? like, not even eating. G roses are so weird.. haha!

Jared781

Arachnobaron
heavy, heavy, heavy!.... give her space, little bit more time lol, and humidity

(in my opinion)

TsmallV

Arachnopeon
ya I have the same problem and I too believe its in pre-molt. I had my G. Rosea for a month and it didnt eaten anything, I can see a bold spot but just barley. The same goes for my Brachypelma albopilosa, it hasnt eaten anything for 2 weeks and I can fully see a bold spot on its abdomen, also it blocked its burrow to prevent any intruders, so thats another guess that it is in pre-molt. Just got to be patient even though it will take awhile -.- :p

xtianD

Arachnopeon
so, i was just about to go to sleep when i heard a thump.
and this is what i found!!

hehe!

sorry if i annoy anyone from too much updating.. hehe.
just really excited!! :)

ill take a pic again tom morning (if there's a really big change or something.. :p)

EDIT:

so.. she's done molting. :)

i just soaked her, and she's a female! http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8877/photo2012030540526pm.jpg

thanks! :)

Last edited:

grizzle

Arachnopeon
Congrats! That's really exciting. I'm still waiting on my first molt. I hope it goes as smoothly as yours did!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome... glad the rosie finally molted for ya.. and that its a SHE... post pics when she is finally all hardened up... how big do ya think she is now

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just wanted to update people. :)

i just noticed there's a bit of webbing. like the start of a "web mat"
it should be a matter of days, i think.. ? :)
Tarantulas generally live for the moment. When it's ready to molt it'll make a molting mat (or not), roll over, and molt within a few hours. Not days or weeks in advance.