G. Rosea has a small lump protruding from abdomen.. and molted only the top half of its carapace

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The title says it all. Just got a rose haired from a local pet shop as a gift, direct from the store I noticed only the top half of the carapace molted off, looking fresh.. and a lump on the abdomen.

The T is moving around fine, seems active, which is confusing because I didn't think it was possible to only molt one piece and then be okay.

Came from the pet store kept on wood chips and with a sponge, of course, with crickets roaming in the enclosure.

Does this add up to anything in particular to anyone here? Should we take this particular one back to exchange?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you post some pics it would be helpful.

That being said, unless the T is in danger of dying soon I'd keep it. There is a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes from caring for a less than perfectly healthy T and bring it back to it's former glory.

The lump you are seeing on the abdomen can be a number of things, from a rupture (could be caused by a bad molt or fall) to a tumor like growth (could be an infection or caused by another irritation).

Pictures would definitely help.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All I have is a cell phone camera, but I'll try and get a picture. The bulged spot is bare, and seems like a scab (rough looking area) has formed along the border between the bulge and the more "normal abdomen".

What baffles me is that it could have possibly molted just the top half of the abdomen and part of one leg.. and nothing else? Maybe the rest of the molt was eaten or disappeared?

I'm figuring no, but can I keep it on the chips as long as I keep it moist?

She's seeming very active (for a rosey) and happily allowed me to hold her.

I've put a copious amount of water directly into her substrate, covered her kritterkeeper with some cloth and put it in the closet to encourage her to go back to molting in case she actually did stop mid-molt.

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Need pics.

Dont keep her on the wood. Potting soil + vermiculite if you dont want to buy Eco Earth bricks (my fav, very cheap and lots of it from 1 brick).

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
here are the pics; as I stated earlier, they were taken with a camera phone, but they show the general layout of the lump.

Attachments

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You definitely need to change that substrate.

G. rosea like extremely dry climates, and it appears that the mulch in that enclosure is wet.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going to change her over to potting soil, just brought her home from the pet store today and of course that is how they had her. And I'm more and more under the impression that she is simply freshly molted and that the rest of the molt must have been destroyed.

Though from what I understand, extremely dry is the opposite of what they thrive in?

I'm mostly concerned with the lump she has on the abdomen.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rosie live in the desert and love it dry. They live right near the dryest place on earth.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys :8o I'll keep her much more dry from here on out.

Now this may be another dumb question, and the potting soil or eco-earth sound great... But would it be terrible to grab up some of the soil mulch spread around the trees outside my place and just using that? Much softer, seems able to hold a bit of moisture if necessary, much finer texture.

(Edit: Decided against that based on possibility of pesticides and herbicides... guess she stays on wood chips until I get some potting soil)

Just trying to figure what I can do for her in the short term.

And as far as that lump goes, does it mean that she is going to die or is it just a deformity?

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on what happens with her next moult. Either that or you could attempt surgery on her to empty the abcess, if that is what it is.

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's not leaking anything, I think you should probably just leave it and wait to see what happens with her next molt.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As others have suggested, you will want to change that substrate. I use Eco-Earth and CocoFibre almost exclusively for my specimens and have never had any problems. The chips that you have her on right now could potentially cause a wound if she was to fall on them and could irritate her. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the cause of the growth on her abdomen. It seems like she is doing fine though so I'd wait until her next molt to see if she sheds the lump - just feed her sparingly as you don't want to cause a rupture.

Was going to suggest not to use anything from outside for substrate of decorations as there is a good chance of it being contaminated with either pesticides or parasites but you already picked up on that. :)

By the way, WOuld you happen to know if this specimen was wild caught of captive bred?

Thanks guys :8o I'll keep her much more dry from here on out.

Now this may be another dumb question, and the potting soil or eco-earth sound great... But would it be terrible to grab up some of the soil mulch spread around the trees outside my place and just using that? Much softer, seems able to hold a bit of moisture if necessary, much finer texture.

(Edit: Decided against that based on possibility of pesticides and herbicides... guess she stays on wood chips until I get some potting soil)

Just trying to figure what I can do for her in the short term.

And as far as that lump goes, does it mean that she is going to die or is it just a deformity?

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No, unfortunately, it was bought from precisely the type of pet shop that us types patronize only either to save an animal or to attempt an enlightenment regarding their care. I highly doubt even their supplier knows whether it was wild caught or captive bred due to the fact that it was the supplier who suggested wood chips, a sponge and a light misting to the owner of the establishment it was purchased from.

Am I right in assuming that your question pertains to the likelihood of it being a parasite versus an irritation?

And how often for a rosie is feeding sparingly? I had a geniculata in the past, and to be honest, I'd just throw a dozen in her enclosure once every 2 weeks or so and she'd go wild on all of them :]

Thank you all SO much for your help... I am much better with scorpions, tarantulas perturb me!

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No more then two crickets a week, unless you're power feeding. You shouldn't leave anything alive in there other then the tarantula itself for over 24 hours.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It depends on what happens with her next moult. Either that or you could attempt surgery on her to empty the abcess, if that is what it is.
I highly recommend against doing this.

Tarantulas have an open system and all this will do is likely kill it.

These types of things happen and the spider is typically fine - next molt it may be completely gone.

@Doug - It'll be fine. Just put it on some dry soil and let it be.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, that's too bad. Glad you saved her though. :)

Parasites and irritation are both common with wild caught specimens, moreso than captive bred anyway, but yes, very good chance of there being parasites in a wild caught specimen.

I'd go as light as one cricket a week just to eliminate the chances of causing a rupture by having it's abdomen expand to quickly. Your guy there looks like it has a fairly good sized abdomen too so it'll be fine with light feedings. A. Geniculata are one of the few Ts that you can actually overfeed. I have an 8"+ female who would eat the rest of my collection if I let her. You have to be careful with overfeeding species like this though since overfeeding can cause a herniation which is very likely to be fatal.

No, unfortunately, it was bought from precisely the type of pet shop that us types patronize only either to save an animal or to attempt an enlightenment regarding their care. I highly doubt even their supplier knows whether it was wild caught or captive bred due to the fact that it was the supplier who suggested wood chips, a sponge and a light misting to the owner of the establishment it was purchased from.

Am I right in assuming that your question pertains to the likelihood of it being a parasite versus an irritation?

And how often for a rosie is feeding sparingly? I had a geniculata in the past, and to be honest, I'd just throw a dozen in her enclosure once every 2 weeks or so and she'd go wild on all of them :]

Thank you all SO much for your help... I am much better with scorpions, tarantulas perturb me!

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed. Surgery should only be considered if the T will definitely die without doing something this drastic and, even then, should only be attempted if you are very sure of what you are doing.

There is a thread on here where Talkenlate successfully repaired an abcess and his T pulled through but this is definitely the exception and not the rule.

I highly recommend against doing this.

Tarantulas have an open system and all this will do is likely kill it.

These types of things happen and the spider is typically fine - next molt it may be completely gone.

@Doug - It'll be fine. Just put it on some dry soil and let it be.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WB Ferg!!!! One point I'd like to make is that parasites thrive in moist environments. If you're worried about parasites, keep her bone dry with a dish of fresh water, and lots of ventilation. Congrats on saving her, I do the same every time I see on in her condition.:clap: :worship:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
does the bump look like this??

if so i have no clue what it is..:?