G. Rosea buried

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. Rosea made a nice hole and tunnel under its hide. I don't get to see her much unless I peek down the hole. I guess she didnt like me peeking, she covered up the opening from the inside. What is she doing? Is this normal to bury themselves? My striped knee looks like she's doing the same thing but without the door closed. I tried attatching pictures to my post but didnt seem to work for me. Sometime I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Blessings,
Al

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They "seal" their burrows mainly for two reasons (neither of which is related to you peeking at them).

The first may just be a day-time behavioural response. Many arid climate Ts seal their burrow by day to cut down on moisture loss and venture out at night, resealing it after they return.

The second and more likely in captivity is they're preparing for a moult. My C. cyanopubescens seals its cork log completely, and my large B. albopilosum webs dirt over any entrances to its hide prior to moults. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Bottom line is, your T is smarter than you about what it needs food and moisture wise. It will come out to drink if it needs to. I'd avoid putting crickets in there while the hides are sealed just to avoid any moulting issues. A T can survive several weeks to several months without eating - if it gets hungry it will start to come out of its hide more.

TarantulaMan

Banned
substrate.

what substrate did you use because I'm going to the pet store tuesday and I've been wanting my G. Rosea to dig a burrow for the longest, I dont know why it'll just be cool to watch her did a burrow. Oh and does anyone know if she would bring food in her burrow like the G. birdeater I have ( my friend gave up on t's and gave me back my rosea).:)

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use Jungle Mix lizard litter with some bark blend added. I made it about 3 inches deep.
Blessings,
Al