G Rosea Breeding

bklyncg

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I have a mature Female G Rosea (around 8 years old). I was kicking around the idea of breeding. Is she past breeding age? I’ve read that you have to wait for a final molt. Mine hasn’t molted in over 2 years I’m assuming she’s finished molting. Any input is appreciated. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m a very basic hobbyist and only have 3 T’s with no breeding experience.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
Females continue to molt all their lives. You can tell maturity from their last molt, the spermethecae will have sclerotized when the tarantula has matured. As far as I am aware, mature females do not lose their breeding ability with age, though I could be incorrect on that bit.

If she hasn’t molted in two years, you’ll want to wait until after her next molt to do the pairing, as doing it this late into a molt cycle increases your chances that she will molt out, and the pairing will have been for nothing.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Females tarantulas molt continuously for life. Only males have a final molt. If it's over 2 years, then breeding her should be after she molts. If you bred her now, she could just likely molt and no eggsac for you.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is *no way* an adult female G. rosea is only 8 years old. Unless you bought her from the breeder and they gave you a hatch date or you produced her yourself, there is no way to tell her age... but G. rosea are a very slow growing species.

There are a lot of topics regarding breeding on the forum... you can also read the breeding reports section. Most importantly - Are you prepared to care for hundreds of slings? You'll have to learn how to pack and ship them, find a reliable small food source, etc.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Be very sure which 'G.rosea' you have, and what you will be mating her with. There is a lot of muddying going on between G.rosea and G.porteri, and two other species in that genus.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Most importantly - Are you prepared to care for hundreds of slings? You'll have to learn how to pack and ship them, find a reliable small food source, etc.
This. Especially considering you only have three Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey all, I have a mature Female G Rosea (around 8 years old). I was kicking around the idea of breeding. Is she past breeding age? I’ve read that you have to wait for a final molt. Mine hasn’t molted in over 2 years I’m assuming she’s finished molting. Any input is appreciated. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m a very basic hobbyist and only have 3 T’s with no breeding experience.
Yeah, I don't think it would be possible for an 8yr old rose hair to even be mature.

Only males go through a final molt, it's referred to as the ultimate molt. Therefore, past breeding age generally only applies to males.

I also see you don't understand how long these ts live....speculation is 45 or more....I have a female that's at least 35, possibly much older, but definitely not any younger....she could still breed. Mine molts about every 5 years...so you can see your 2 year cycle is an obviously much younger specimen. These ts in particular, can fast for up to 2 years.

I have no doubt yours is mature, so it's likely closer to at least 15, could be older yet.

Don't worry about the questions, asking is how we can learn.