1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g. rosea and pinky mice

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JungleGuts, May 24, 2006.

1. JungleGuts

JungleGuts Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    if you were to feed a g. rosea a pinky mouse how long would it last on one before it goes hungry or needs food again? would it eat the whole thing?

2. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade Planeswalker Old Timer

That's kind of hard to answer, it depends on how hungry the T was before it ate the pinkie.
    NO, it wouldn't eat the whole thing, u are going to be left with a big messy glob of everything, that stinks. :wicked:
    I really only recomend feeding things vertebrates to large T's, and about-to-breed females.

3. It depends on the size of the G. rosea. For an adult, maybe two weeks or so, depending also on the size of the pinkie. And no it won't eat the whole thing. And yes it does smell and is an expensive waste of food if it won't take it. I much prefer to stick to invertebrate prey personally. Much less high maintenance.

4. BugToxin

BugToxin Arachnoknight Old Timer

I have never kept a rosie, however I do have a chaco and a pulchra (both Gramastolas) and they can both eat most of a pinkie. My pulchra is only about 4" or so and will eat it all except for a small ball of pinkie leftovers which are very easy to clean up. I just reach in and take the ball out with foreceps. My tanks do not smell either, and I have a very sensitive nose (crickets smell really, really, really bad). Now I supose that if you left the pinkie bolus in for several days it might start to smell, but since pinkie boluses are much larger than cricket boluses you should have no trouble at all finding it and taking it out.

With all that said, however, make sure that if you feed pinkies to your smaller T's that you really feed PINKIES. Not hoppers, and not adult mice. Pinkies are pink, they don't have teeth yet, they don't open their eyes. Mice with fur are already starting to get teeth and an adult mouse could definately injure a smaller T (maybee even a big one).

As for how long it could go on a pinkie, it could easily go for several months. It might also take another one in a week. I like to powerfeed my slings and juviniles, but slow down once they get to be adults. For an adult rosie I would say two pinkies a month would be good with a few crickets thrown in for snacks.

5. JungleGuts

ya i have a bunch of pinkys in my fridge for my cornsnake:)

6. BugToxin

I've never tried previously frozen pinkies, just live ones. I have had a few die on the way home from the petstore though, and my T's wouldn't eat them. I suspect that some T's will only eat food that moves around a bit, but other people I know use only frozen pinkies and seem to have fairly good success. Personally I don't think that freezing a baby mouse to death is any more humane than letting a spider kill it with venom, so I will always use live if I have a choice. Other people strongly disagree though, so it's really up to each keeper to decide for themselves. I would however be careful about how you thaw them out. I have heard that some people use a microwave, but others say that it can be dangerous (too hot on the inside I guess). Since I have never used them myself, I'm not sure how to properly prepare a frozen pinkie for a T, but I'm sure someone here knows how to do it.

7. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

I might try pinkies with my rosie, which totaly ignores crix. A guy I know had the same problem, his rosie though she was the dalai lama on a perpetual meditative fast, letting crix die of old age, and she was introduced a juvenile mouse (risky enterprise I admit) which she nailed within seconds. I think some simply won't waste energy on many small prey and will wait for one big meal.

But if your T accepts dead meat, you can as well feed her raw BIO chicken, which I cut in bits about half the T's abdominal mass. My LP loves chicken!!!

And remember that variety is the key. Very few species rely on one type of feeders in the wild!!! Feeding one only mice is like a human having steak at every meal. Not healthy!!!

8. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

You *seriously* have the wrong idea. Any reputable f/t prey dealer kills the animals by...what is it, CO2 gassing? I forget, but their website should tell you. Anyway, quick and humane, certainly more so than being double-stabbed and dissolved alive by a giant spider's digestive juices. I've heard even fully grown mice squeak for up to a minute or more in those tarantula feeding videos floating around. That is not humane.

This is true. The inside can become boiling hot very easily, though it would probably damage a T less than something that just swallows the whole thing at once, like snakes. There is an even BIGGER risk with pinkies and fuzzies, instead of big mice or rats.

Also because mice tend to explode all over the microwave, as many horrified snake owners have laughed about their past mistakes when they didn't know any better.

If you need to thaw a rodent of any kind, just leave it out on a paper towel. A pinky probably wouldn't take but a couple hours, I leave adult mice and small rats out for most of a day. Holding an (unzipped!) ziploc bag with the prey in the bottom in a bowl of warm (not boiling) water can help speed up the process. Just don't get the actual prey wet, that gets nasty fast.

9. Apocalypstick

Apocalypstick Arachnodemon Old Timer

I let my g pulchra go without food for two weeks then give her a pinkie (less than 48 hrs old) and she loves that treat!!! She eats the entire thing minus a few bonyish things which she wraps secrurely in web and puts it in her garbage area. She also wraps up the substate and webbing she ate on and throws it away as well. She is 5 1/2 inches lateral measure.

However, this is a rare treat given only every 3 months...NOT part of her regular feedings.

Edit: Her pinkies are given to her live.

10. BugToxin

That is good to hear. I will look into that, if just for my own educational experience. I had read elsewhere (don't remember where though) that many dealers did NOT kill the mice first. However, I would still probably buy live myself for the movement.

Honestly though, I will likely move to large feeder roaches soon myself (Blaberus fusca or a related hybrid) instead of pinkies. I like the idea of big roaches because if they are refused you can simply take them back out, still alive, and keep them that way for a VERY long time. Pinkies don't stay pinkies for very long, if you can keep them alive at all. I don't share the same moral objection to feeding live pinkies that many other people do, but I also don't like to waste food, nor do I like killing the pinkies for no reason other than to discard them.

11. JungleGuts

so do you guys have success with frozen/thawed ones?

12. Windchaser

Windchaser Arachnoking Old Timer

The limited times I have fed pinkies to my tarantulas I have always used frozen. For the most part they were eaten just fine. I had one tarantula that was fasting all together, so I don't think the refusal to eat the pinkie was due to it being frozen but simply because it wasn't eating anything.

I tend to avoid using them though because they are considerably more expensive and can be much messier.