G. pulchripes spending time on side

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Hi,

My new G. pulchripes 1" sling that I purchased at a reptile expo on Saturday spends about half its time on the side of the container I have it in. It's about a third of the way filled with ground coconut husk that I tried to moisten to the same level as the substrate in the container it came in. I know they're a desert species, but I was under the impression that one needed to keep slings more moist than adults, even with the desert species. Any advice? Is this just normal behaviour?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
They do need moisture, but most Ts don't like to sit in damp sub. Only wet part of the container, leave a dry spot. It is also adjusting to a new home. Make sure the sub level is such that it can't fall and be injured, let the sub dry out a bit, and it should eventually move down and start making a home.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
They do need moisture, but most Ts don't like to sit in damp sub. Only wet part of the container, leave a dry spot. It is also adjusting to a new home. Make sure the sub level is such that it can't fall and be injured, let the sub dry out a bit, and it should eventually move down and start making a home.
Agreed.It's probably just trying to get out of the wet substrate.Slings do need extra moisture,but if it's an inch,you can start treating more like a juvie than a first or second instar sling.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
OK, I moved it into an identical container and swapped the lid over, except that this time the cocohusk is completely dry.

cold blood

Staff member
OK, I moved it into an identical container and swapped the lid over, except that this time the cocohusk is completely dry.
Being as its so small, I would keep a corner a little damp, at least until its next molt.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
OK, I moistened a corner due to your recommendation. It's now spending time where the container and the substrate meet/on the substrate, but, importantly, with all its legs on the ground.